inlet manifold gasket fitting

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
can anyone supply a guide to fit a phenolic gasket?

looked in haynes, no real guide available on here....

anyone thats done on etc etc...

i dont have elsawin nor can i download it onto my vista equipped laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!

any help appreciated guys, interested in one of these if it can be fitted fairly easily?

cheers

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I have one on mine , just take the mani of remove old gasket and replace with new one, i was told i didn't need to put any original gaskets on but i did, thought it wouldn't hurt.

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
from what i can remember when i did mine

remove vac hose off fpr

undo 2 allen key bolts holding fuel rail to inlet

lift carefully, injectors could snap, place to one side

remove inlet hose, vac hose and throttle body plug

remove pipes to the left of the inlet manifold

undo 10 allen key bolts that hold the mani on

CAREFULL under mani there are 2 vac nipples these can snap very easily

thats pretty much it, do you have longer bolts? also use a gasket each side of the spacer and check the tightness a couple of days later of the manifold bolts iirc its only 25nm it doesnt seem much though

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
James, also before you start clean the engine about the intake manifold and remove all loose piece from the area because anything loose can fall straight into the engine.
I have one of these and plan to fit it soon, write a guide if you do this before me please

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
will do willie, probably not before you tbh. hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

seems easy enough looking at the engine bay, im doing n249bypass tomorrow so will have a shufty then. also gonna crank the arb up to stiffest setting, see how we go.

hopefully a nice day so beer, car and suntan is in order methinks.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
My Phenolic gasket is WAY thicker than even 10 normal gaskets, don't mean to nit pick Phill.

I have two OEM gasket which I will fit with the Phenolic some time.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
willie, what needs to be fitted with the phenolic, is the phenolic a spacer or an actual gasket?

so longer bolts will be required, i would replace oem bolts for new anyways......

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
TBH I don't think it is a gasket. A gasket needs to deform under torque to fill in the irregularities in the head and intake manifold sealing faces.
I will be fitting mine with an OEM gasket either side plus gasketing compound (OEM Sump stuff) to be 100%, do it right once:)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Ah ok, that sounds about right, whats the one you have then Willie?

I was sold it by Issam as a Phenolic gasket, well thats what asked for anyway.
From memory I would say my one would be about 4mm or there abouts.
It's basically looks like a big slab of nylon, even though i know its Phenolic material.
So at to who made my gasket I'm not too sure TBH. I asked for a Phenoilc gasket thinking it was the manufacturer but later found out it was the material.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
phenolic IS the material yes.
it requires gaskets either side of it, which are supplied along with longer bolts.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
lloked today how to fit, seems its a fuel rail off, undo allen bolts on the manny, dont drop owt in it, redo new gasket then torque backup.

TIP:
pressure wash off the area above and around the inlet manifold before hand.. and allow to dry. There is always debris and **** above the inlet manifold which will fall down the ports when you remove the manifold. you dont want this to happen.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.