Installation advice really needed!

perks

Oct 27, 2008
Hi all.

I've done something maybe a little daft.

I bought myself a nice white LED conversion for my heater dials as the OE backlight has died.

The glossy fleabay ad reads "easy to install".

That may well be the case but as I skipped the auto electrics advanced class I'm stumped.

Here is the item number if it helps.

I'm in no way saying it's a bad bit of kit but I am saying it really isn't as easy as it's made out to be!

Any advice?

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
can you post a photo og what you have and what connections it has, and i will see if i can work it out for you :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
found that companies website a while ago looking at the dials and never did get round to getting any kit

got any pics of the kit as i'm overdue doing mine too

perks

Oct 27, 2008
The kit consists of 8 LEDs, 8 resistors and some heat shrink. That is the kit. Bit dissapointed really but I'm sure it'll look pretty good when I've put it out!

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
ok well normaly there are only two bulbs that light the three dials, so it looks like you have to mount the LEDs yourself around the back of the dials.
Didn't they send you any guide on how to fit when?

perks

Oct 27, 2008
The kit comes with a diagram but it isn't of the cordy, basically it's saying take out the plastic spider shaped thing that distributes light across the display and where the light distributor originally sat I need to file or drill larger holes to accomodate the LED's then I need to solder a parrallel circuit connecting each light to an individual resistor and back to the original power source.

I'm almost 100% certain I'm gonna set fire to the car but "bucket" I'll have a go!

As a matter of intrest and if you followed any of what I just said would it not be just as effective to replace the O.E. light with a cluster of LED's and allow the light distributor to carry on as normal?

Last edited:

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
ok you have to remember that you have to fit the LEDs the right way.
As for just replacing the bulbs with LEDs, I would say the light output would not be enough using LED's

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.