Installing subwoofer!

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
I'm going to try and install a subwoofer into my Leon next week and iv had a look around the bulkhead and cant find anywhere to route the power cable from the battery to the interior. Has anyone found anywhere? The only thing I can think of is follow the bonnet release cable and route it undetermined the kick panel. But any help would be appreciated and if I succeed before hand I will let you all know. Thanks in advance

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
Has anybody done this yet as I'm still unable to find somewhere to route the power cable through the bulkhead. Can anybody please help as I'm stuck haha.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Have you looked at the bulkhead from inside the car ?
Very hard to see anything on the engine side of the bulkhead if you look from that side, but if you get right under the dashboard and have a good look you should find a couple of blanking grommets which are not used for various reasons and to allow the same body shell to suit many markets/different equipment fitments etc
You may have to remove some of the sound deadening or trim to find one,but there will be at least one
Hope that helps

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
I managed to do it had to run it up the wing and through the door seal sounds dodgy I know but it works and it doesn't get caught on the door, if anyone needs advice just ask and il try assist

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

ToroNegro

Dec 12, 2011
The Black Country
I managed to do it had to run it up the wing and through the door seal sounds dodgy I know but it works and it doesn't get caught on the door, if anyone needs advice just ask and il try assist

What sub did you use?

have you any pictures at all?

thanks

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
might not be the same on the mk3 but on my mk1 i had to take out the glovebox and there was a grommet way up in there that lead into the engine bay from there i just followed the exsisting looms to the battery :)

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
I think it's different as searched everywhere and couldn't manage to find a grommet anywhere so gave in and routed through the door seal had no problems with it catching so far :)

320i24v

Feb 17, 2014
ok, but what headunit are you gonna use because this should be your main concern ; you need a headunit with a dedicated subwoofer output from where you need to get the source signal that will be sent to the amp and then to the sub. are you running the NAVI headunit? does it have a dedicated sub out? would be really great if you could make some pics of the back panel of the unit when you remove it and post them :)

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
Hi I have the nav system but doesn't have the RCA outputs so I got a RCA converter that you attach to the speaker cables from behind main unit inside the dash, there is 5 wires L+/- R+/- and earth. Then you plug your phono cable into the converter and straight to your amp, for the remote cable its wired to a fuse is the fuse box which only comes on with ignition so it isn't on constantly. The ground cable for the amp is wired in the boot, if you remove the left hand side panel(UK car) there is a earth point for the lights so uses that point for the amp. The pose cable is run through the nearside wing into the door seal. And along the kick panels to the boot.

I hope this explanation helps I'm not a technical guy but tried my best for you :)

320i24v

Feb 17, 2014
Hi I have the nav system but doesn't have the RCA outputs so I got a RCA converter that you attach to the speaker cables from behind main unit inside the dash, there is 5 wires L+/- R+/- and earth. Then you plug your phono cable into the converter and straight to your amp, for the remote cable its wired to a fuse is the fuse box which only comes on with ignition so it isn't on constantly. The ground cable for the amp is wired in the boot, if you remove the left hand side panel(UK car) there is a earth point for the lights so uses that point for the amp. The pose cable is run through the nearside wing into the door seal. And along the kick panels to the boot.

I hope this explanation helps I'm not a technical guy but tried my best for you :)

Yes, I understood your point. Can you post some pictures with the rear panel of the navi headunit please? :p

As for the converter, I can confirm that I ran the first setup on my last car with the converter and then switched to an all new headunit with a +4V dual RCA output for two amps and the difference is beyond measuring. Using the converter you do get some bass, but the sound quality won't be that great and you can damage the unit (!!) as it will start overheating.

I have the Seat Sound option on my car and I have the stock subwoofer inside the spare wheel. I was thinking of cutting the fire from the subwoofer and rerouting it to an external amp and then to an 600 W sub, but I am not sure if the signal is already amplified and have to find some pictures with the rear panel of a Seat sound headunit because it should have the build in output.

Hope I managed to make some sense. :D

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
I understand what you mean but iv had converters in all my cars and never had a problem and I had one in for 3 years I really don't fancy changing my unit and as for the sound quality I think its great even though the stock speakers are brilliant, I can't take the unit out atm as I borrowed the keys off my mate so don't have the equipment at hand atm

ToroNegro

Dec 12, 2011
The Black Country
There's nothing wrong with line output converters in terms of safety as long as they're installed correctly. Only issue with them is the sound quality. The alternative is to use an amp with a high level input. The sound quality will improve all be it not massively.

Another option is to use the likes of JL Audio's Cleansweep which is damn expensive or the likes of this: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ground-zero-gzcs-4-60iso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.