Instrument cluster wiring diagram

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
i need a wiring diagram for the instrument clusters on a mk2 ibiza / mk3 golf, i still havent figured out the tacho signal and water temp signal and its f**king me off now. i cant find a detailed diagram of the cluster anywhere.

i need it to show me the wires coming out of the panel, and the colours and what they do.

Ta if you can help :)

EDIT:
not a cluster wiring diagram but for anyone wanting to wire an aftermarket ecu to the rev counter it may prove useful

Well on a SEAT Ibiza and presumably on a MK3 golf i have found the wire that needs tapping into to make the rev counter work.

CE2.gif

Thats the back of the fusebox

you need to tap into the following wire on plug G1 ON PIN 12

Plug / Pin - G1/12 - Ignition Coil Pin 1 Motronic ECU - Signal - Tachometer - Colour - Red/Black or Green/Black

On the above cars the signal needs to be a pulsed positive (+)

The QPENG ECU i have gave me a pulsed earth signal for some reason, not sure why so youll have to convert this somehow if you have the pulsed earth

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as an extra note as that does say typical (is haynes mind) but looking at my 16v (with MFA in speedo)

water temp goes off sensor right at back of the head (yellow/red tracer)

shift light tacho signal off coil (green/red tracer)

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
Thanks for those...
yea i got a haynes manual here, but the tacho and water temp signals go into the ecu and then into the clocks... this is why my aftermarket ecu isnt running either of them, so ideally i need to find the signals going into the clocks so i can tap straight into them :(

its a right ball ache

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as an alternative clocks wise - why not remove the ones you do now the equation to see what ya left with :):)

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
oooh nice find

got the full list info ? as it might prove useful for other stuff on other cars

wouldnt mind adding it to the FAQ's see

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
nice find, wish I had seen that when I was doing my MFA had to work out it all myself.

ahh but that's what us stronger in the end, i know how you feel though, had to do same when i put an LCD astra GTE dash in my cavalier many moons ago

powernut

Jun 22, 2009
hi guys new member here found the therd while searching on google and im after some help on a small wireing problem , but ill try to explain first
first its a mk1 golf/mk1 golf wireing loom
due to fitting a 4wd 24v 3.2 v6 ive used standalone ecu ,and then added a mk3 golf dash and used the mk3 1995 vr6 clocks
ive wired the speedo up works fine with the 6speed o2m gearbox and rev counter thow my standalone ecu
ive checked the link above for the 28pin contector and ive all the earths/lives are correct i carnt get my fuel or tempture gauges to work , evern thow they have slight power to them as when the igitions turned on they all move slightly , it shows pin 21 (one wire for the fuel as i assumed when the wire was earthed it would move the gauge but it dosent same applys for pin 23 tempture gauge (one wire ) evern thow ive 2 main clock lives and the 2 main cluster earths still wont work , really hope someone can explain or give me some possible advise on what is the problem , as for the rest , all the warning lights, maf switch etc are all working fine ,,as ive pluged the cluster into a mk3 golf and they all work corectly ,i just carnt understand why they dont work if there only 2 wires showiing unless there is other wires from the 28pin contector which have to be contected for these the work ,,

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i'd have to check the relevant wiring diagram for the donor car but the 21 wire for fuel is a signal from the rear, isn't there several wires going to the rear fuel pump assy that would pass through a limited signal to the speedo, different to the old days sadly :)

is the pump assy all wired up and running ?

same goes for the temp sensor really - is the sender unit a single terminal or multi ??

just to add - what year/spec model has the running gear come from? as the sensors might not be right type/style for signals to match the 95 dash

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
ok I have rigged up a jib in the workshop to test clocks, all you need is:~
pin 11 12v supply unswitched
pin 13 12v supply switched
pin 21 fuel sender
pin 23 coolant sender
pin 5 ground

with that the dials should work

powernut

Jun 22, 2009
ok I have rigged up a jib in the workshop to test clocks, all you need is:~
pin 11 12v supply unswitched
pin 13 12v supply switched
pin 21 fuel sender
pin 23 coolant sender
pin 5 ground

with that the dials should work
great responce guys , i have all these pins wired all all the gauges slightly move but i carnt work it out why either pin21/23 dont move up the gauges when there either earthed ,or a small voltage is joined between them , simple to look at , but a nightmare to get them to move , as itstakerning longer to make these work then the whole of the project it self

powernut

Jun 22, 2009
i'd have to check the relevant wiring diagram for the donor car but the 21 wire for fuel is a signal from the rear, isn't there several wires going to the rear fuel pump assy that would pass through a limited signal to the speedo, different to the old days sadly :)

is the pump assy all wired up and running ?

same goes for the temp sensor really - is the sender unit a single terminal or multi ??

just to add - what year/spec model has the running gear come from? as the sensors might not be right type/style for signals to match the 95 dash
im unsure as i dont really understand wireing tbh , just odd why 2 pins one from each gauge wont move, as i was hopeing these could have been wireed simply into a mk1 loom ,,
regards fuel pump again this works from the standalone ecu /simple relay igition power and prime up,

with the temp wire as theres only one ud think when the wire was earthed it would move the temp needle on the gauge , as they only move a bit when igition is switched on , ive also fitted the same sensors from the vr6 engine

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ye single wire 'temp' should be a straight earth limiter and max out on full earth

not got anything else tapped into it ? reason i ask is i know they wont run 2 gauges at once

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise