Insurance impact of fitting Forge DV007P

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
My insurance co. tell me that if I fit a new Forge DV007P to replace the standard DV, it will increase my excess by £100, and add an extra £100 to the yearly premium.
Is this normal? Any thoughts?

neeleyveeley

Eyed Beauty
Mar 9, 2004
Midlands
Visit site
The dealers sell the part and as it's not performance enhancing then should make little difference. Just an improved version of the bosch oe one but metal not plastic to ensure it lasts.

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
badlydrawnbanan said:
Why did you bother telling them ? how does a DV effect the performance of the car to the extent they need to know ? I didnt bother myself :shrug:

Well it's a non-standard part and I don't want to invalidate my policy.
They wanted to know to what extent it enhances the car's performance, in terms of bhp. I said it was a more reliable part, not performance enhancing, but their 'expert' obviously thought otherwise.

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i told directline - they said "we will not insure you". Probably as I am not 25 yet, but its hardly a modification. For the unknowing people out there it might even be fitted when they pick up their new car...

Anyway, told my new insurers (adrian flux) and didnt impact anything on my insurance. Only the exhaust and other bits did.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
I guess all you could try doing is ring them back and just tell them what neeleyveeley said. Say that its just an OE replacement and its not preformance enhancing, its just more reliable and longer lasting than the OE one.

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
I'd change insurance company mate, go with adrian flux, I'm sure you'll get just as good a premium if not better and they understand car mods more! I didn't get charged any extra for declaring my custom powerflow cat back system!

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
dont call it a dump valve what ever you do, and also buy a black one then and noone wil even see it.
did you tell your insurance when you changed tyres,oil,petrol type?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Hicks said:
My insurance co. tell me that if I fit a new Forge DV007P to replace the standard DV, it will increase my excess by £100, and add an extra £100 to the yearly premium.
Is this normal? Any thoughts?
why did you fit one in the first place?placcy one failed?

Russc

Oct 23, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Speak to them again. Ask that that they refer the file to their underwriting department explaining that the part is a direct replacement and that id does not affect peformance.

Part of the problem is that the person you have spoken to usually just doesn`t understand.

Turbo Lemon

Jun 4, 2005
Kent/S.E. London
Say "dump valve" to any of the larger mainstream insurers like Churchill or Direct Line, and they will either panic and refuse to cover you, or charge a hefty amount.
Flux, on the other hand, didn't increase my premium for alloys or Milltek catback exhaust, as I'd already declared the remap.

Triple D

When i rang direct line up to add some of my mods to my policy, they said that they would only cover my brake discs and pads :confused: not the calipers, nor the intercooler, nor the exhaust and nor the suspension. Do you know if adrian flux like to insure modified diesels as my insurance runs out on the 29th of next month.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Hicks said:
Well it's a non-standard part and I don't want to invalidate my policy.
In this case are you saying that you think that using Halfords parts rather than Seats will invalidate your warranty? Its the same thing. As long as its a BLACK one rather than a silver one then it can only be classed as an alternate part. Better still forget you've got one and should anything come of it then plead ignorance.... diverter value? Errr, is that like where the petrol goes in?

PS: When my mate was over from New York he was staggered about all this crap. Over there you can modify to your hearts content and its still classed as the original stock car and insurance could not give a toss. Its just a reason to rip us off some more.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members