Insurance prices

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
Ive just had an insurance quote for a res delete and a maxton front splitter from esure and they want £150. Is everyone else getting these extortionate prices or just me? Couldnt believe it was that much !!

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Insurance is a minefield. So many variables determine the individual prices.

I pay less for my 280 with two mods than my wife does for her 1.2 Renault Kadjar. Doesn’t make sense to anyone other than a pricing actuary. Even me asking what my premium would increase by for a stage 1 it was only £56 ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Remember some companies whilst they offer prices for modifications, don't really want their customers to do it.

It's not all based on facts and figures, they also take into account who they want to insure and for what based on risk.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Really thats crazy so £56 for a stage one. Id love to understand how they work it out. Do they just pull number from mid air.

I’m helped by having a clean licence, mid 30’s with 15+ years no claims living in a village in east Kent and being a ‘sensible’ accountant with a small commute to work but yes, I was surprised by how low it was. I was banking on it being so high that it would put me off.

As above, some insurers are better than others. Adrian Flux are on the forum and may be able to offer something more competitive.

Deleted member 103408

Before I upgraded over Stage 1 I was with Esure and found there pricing very competitive.

But as they guys above have said sometimes they dont want your business because they have to many of you already or there stats say adding a spoiler makes you a danger (based on the customers they have).

So simple answer I am afraid is push back with a quote from other companies that are better and see if they want to keep your business.

When I went stage 3 I was surprised how cheap it was (vs my expectation's) and one thing that i got from Esure was they did not mind a few changes but when you start doing lots they dont like it.

2nd comment is plan what you want to do to the car this year and start shopping around for the best deal and insure it how you are going to end up so you dont end up paying admin fee to change your policy again and again.

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Without knowing more details its impossible to say if thats unreasonable or not.

If you're 19 and wanting to do those mods its a bargain, if you're in your 30's shop around and you'll get it cheaper. Also check the wording of the policy, some companies will give you what seems like a good deal on the mods, but that might be because if you need to make a claim they will just put it back to standard. So you're insured to drive it modified, but not a like for like replacement should it be needed

Reactions: Blowski

Deleted member 103408

Good news, and yes its a dark art, as long as you get it cheaper its all good.

Reactions: ChrisJKM
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
I am baffled with insurance, I pay more now than I did when I was 21... yet I have 10years no claims and am 30+ in age... I thought it was supposed to get cheaper from 25 ....

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I am baffled with insurance, I pay more now than I did when I was 21... yet I have 10years no claims and am 30+ in age... I thought it was supposed to get cheaper from 25 ....

Insurance is generally more expensive now than it was 10 years ago, so instead of seeing it go down you see the opposite.

If you were new to driving now it would be far far higher premium that what you would pay 10 years ago.

I took out my first premium 17 years ago and paid £900 fully comp on 2.0 Mondeo si, that equivalent car today with a brand new 18 year old driver would be more than double, if not triple the premium

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

Your age and the number of years you’ve been claim free are only two of many risk factors that an insurer will use when calculating your premium. If you live in a high risk area for car thefts and accidents, this could more than offset your good driving experience and the fact you’re not classed as a young driver.

Other risk factors such as occupation, marital status, your annual mileage, experience of any additional drivers on your policy, whether or not you use your car for business use will be used by pretty much all insurers in their premium calculations - there will be other risk factors that they will use too.

Factors not directly associated with your and your car could also impact on your premium;
  • Insurance premium tax (IPT); any increase in the rate of IPT that is imposed on insurers by the government will be passed onto customers.
  • Rising claims costs to insurers as a result of increased car repair costs and increasing injury awards that affect an insurer’s overall car insurance portfolio results. This could mean that an insurer may need to charge all customers more to cover these increased costs.
So even if an individual has a good driving record and haven’t made any claims on their car insurance, other factors mean that most people likely to see their premium increase - especially if they’re complacent and let their policy automatically renew with their existing insurer. That’s why it’s important to shop around each year when you get your insurance renewal premium, as there’s a good chance you can get a cheaper deal elsewhere .

Reactions: Maypack and X3RN
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
So variables aside 900 for a 2ltfsi fr at 30 with “max ncb” doesn’t seem excessive? I pay less on a 3l v6 Mercedes currently ALOT less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So variables aside 900 for a 2ltfsi fr at 30 with “max ncb” doesn’t seem excessive? I pay less on a 3l v6 Mercedes currently ALOT less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Go onto one of the comparison websites (Go Compare, Money Supermarket, Compare the Market etc.) and input your details. You’ll get a range of premium quotes back, and you’ll be able to tell if £900 is excessive or not or if it’s the ‘going rate’ for you and your car as an insurance risk.

Reactions: X3RN

X3RN

Nov 11, 2018
Norfolk, UK
Your age and the number of years you’ve been claim free are only two of many risk factors that an insurer will use when calculating your premium. If you live in a high risk area for car thefts and accidents, this could more than offset your good driving experience and the fact you’re not classed as a young driver.

Other risk factors such as occupation, marital status, your annual mileage, experience of any additional drivers on your policy, whether or not you use your car for business use will be used by pretty much all insurers in their premium calculations - there will be other risk factors that they will use too.

Factors not directly associated with your and your car could also impact on your premium;
  • Insurance premium tax (IPT); any increase in the rate of IPT that is imposed on insurers by the government will be passed onto customers.
  • Rising claims costs to insurers as a result of increased car repair costs and increasing injury awards that affect an insurer’s overall car insurance portfolio results. This could mean that an insurer may need to charge all customers more to cover these increased costs.
So even if an individual has a good driving record and haven’t made any claims on their car insurance, other factors mean that most people likely to see their premium increase - especially if they’re complacent and let their policy automatically renew with their existing insurer. That’s why it’s important to shop around each year when you get your insurance renewal premium, as there’s a good chance you can get a cheaper deal elsewhere .
This is a great explanation of insurance prices. So many people think it's just how long you've been driving for and how many years no claims bonus you have, However there are so many other factors that go into it!
You sound like someone who may have worked in insurance/currently do work in insurance?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
This is a great explanation of insurance prices. So many people think it's just how long you've been driving for and how many years no claims bonus you have, However there are so many other factors that go into it!
You sound like someone who may have worked in insurance/currently do work in insurance?

I’m retired, but I have family members and friends who work in the insurance industry.

Reactions: X3RN