Integrated SatNav?

Scott #55

Jun 20, 2018
Hi

My son has just taken delivery of a 63-plate Leon Sport Coupe 1.2 TSI SE. The only thing it is missing is an integrated sat nav in the dashboard.

Is this something which can be added now, or should he stick with a TomTom?

silles

May 4, 2017
Hi

My son has just taken delivery of a 63-plate Leon Sport Coupe 1.2 TSI SE. The only thing it is missing is an integrated sat nav in the dashboard.

Is this something which can be added now, or should he stick with a TomTom?

honestly don't bother

I have it but only used it once when it pissed me off, tomtom/copliot/waze is so much better and easier to use ( and cheaper, has better life traffic, more up2date maps, etc)

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
waze here too. The turn by turn on the dash screen is great, but waze is much more up to date and reliable with traffic.

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
Yep as above really. I’ve got built-in nav but use the TomTom Go app on my phone. I don’t even use the Apple CarPlay and won’t unless Apple relax the restrictions to allow third party navigation apps. Built-in nav is a nice thing to have but unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
If the integrated sat nav is added it needs updating every so often, mine seems to have roads that don’t exist, personally I use apple car play but if I didn’t have that I’d probably use my old Garmin

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Or....

I use the built in nav and find it excellent, but I am the sort of person that doesn’t see the point in having a nav unit and then a phone stuck on your dashboard/windscreen... I am also old fashioned, in that I check the traffic before I leave, and use the traffic program facility

The reality is that unless the car came fitted with it, it’s expensive and not simple to retrofit

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
Traffic program is terrible! TomTom is the only reliable source of accurate delay info. I rarely use nav to find directions, but use it every day on my 160 mile commute to avoid traffic hotspots.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Yep as above really. I’ve got built-in nav but use the TomTom Go app on my phone. I don’t even use the Apple CarPlay and won’t unless Apple relax the restrictions to allow third party navigation apps. Built-in nav is a nice thing to have but unnecessary.

From the next release of IOS you will be able to use Google Maps and Waze with Apple Carplay and this really will make the built-in Nav obsolete. Obviously if you use Android Auto you can already do this.

Reactions: nick.buchan2

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
As above, mine came with Tech Pack (LED lights, dab radio and sat nav.) Never use sat nav, always Tomtom app on my phone. Hate the graphics on the maps and traffic is so behind tomtom. Updating the maps, on my 2014 head unit is a no go unless you buy new sd cards from dealer at about £120 a pop.
Stick with the tomtom unit...

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
As above, mine came with Tech Pack (LED lights, dab radio and sat nav.) Never use sat nav, always Tomtom app on my phone. Hate the graphics on the maps and traffic is so behind tomtom. Updating the maps, on my 2014 head unit is a no go unless you buy new sd cards from dealer at about £120 a pop.
Stick with the tomtom unit...

I updated my 2014 satnav from 425 to 480 for free takes about 30miles

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
Well i believe i have the mib1 easy connect unit as updated it and when i tried a mib2 update it didnt work

spaceboy

May 7, 2018
The SEAT satnav is awful. Use your phone or a TomTom. The SEAT one has rubbish live traffic info and always underestimates journey times.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
I have to admit I've only used it a couple of times. Now I have a brodit mount so my phone is right next to it and I just use the sat nav as a nice touch screen radio.

spaceboy

May 7, 2018
I have to admit I've only used it a couple of times. Now I have a brodit mount so my phone is right next to it and I just use the sat nav as a nice touch screen radio.

Exactly. If it had something decent like TomTom maps on it then it would be good. But HERE maps are not great and are not updated frequently enough. I'm not sure how much updates cost either, if the traffic info was decent I would look into it...

spaceboy

May 7, 2018
There's plenty wrong with the inbuilt satnav. I use satnav every day for work. As I've already said the traffic information is poor. And the maps are not as up to date as they should be.

Reactions: nick.buchan2

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
I've found it pretty good so far and it informed me of a motorway closure on my way home. Not as good as TomTom but far from useless.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.