Intercooler location? Do I Definatly have one?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi. I am waiting on this being a stupid question, i cant see why i dont have an intercooler as have a turbo car, but searches only report back comments to 2.0 tdi's and not the 1.9 pd tdi's!

Can anyone point me to its location?

Thanks.

:blink:

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I followed the largest pipe from the EGR round and it disapeared and couldnt get near it without removal of some parts. Will have a try with lower cover off maybe. thought passenger side near arch, but didnt know.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
I know on the 2.0TDI it has a fmic sandwiched betweenthe main radiator and the air-con radiator which you cannot see just like you can't see on your car. You can just see one of the intake pipes dissappearing into the bumper tight at the bottom other than that you cannot tell where it is. Not sure on the 1.9 though if it would have a smic in the wing somewhere.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Bit of a dig up, just came back across this. 1.9tdi has a FMIC. Found this out some while ago. Had pipes replaced recently as were leaking, causing bad mpg and such.

Watto_uk

Mar 16, 2008
Hi. I am waiting on this being a stupid question, i cant see why i dont have an intercooler as have a turbo car, but searches only report back comments to 2.0 tdi's and not the 1.9 pd tdi's!

Can anyone point me to its location?

Thanks.

:blink:

Did one a couple of weeks ago at work (I work in a bodyshop). And as I have one myself, I got the job to do. The intercooler is definately located between the radiator and the air con condensor. Not an easy item to remove. Involves removing the bumper, then removing the 2 TX30 screws holding the 3 units into the front panel. Then it's easier to remove the front panel and leave the radiator/intercooler/condensor in place. Takes about 30 minutes to gain access if you know what you are doing.

Watto_uk

Mar 16, 2008
could it be possible to swap radiator and intercooler around? Thats good to hear as would want to get intercooler off and clean it out during summer.

No, you cant swap them round. The mountings are very specific.

rrdoctor

we all have our cross to bear;)

so that means then i can fit a larger intercooler and then play with the pump for increased fueling or because it is computor comtroller i cannot do that?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
You cant fiddle the pump due to ecu control, but remap should update fuelling to run high enough without over fueling or running lean taking into account modifications etc.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Ok. finally got to this.......

here is the car as it stands right now....
21022009433-1.jpg

21022009434.jpg

21022009435.jpg

21022009436.jpg

21022009437.jpg

Excuse the timber bonnet prop.........all i had to hold it. The wheel is up on blocks, rear chocked, in gear, handbrake on and a jack taking a bit of the pressure there too, not holding it but just enough.

The AC radiator has taken a bit of abuse by the looks of it...mesh maybe needed

A lot of gunk came out, no pics of this. Drying out now. so should help a bit on performance etc combined with the oil catch can.

Last edited: