Interior door handle removal

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Can anyone let me know how you remove the interior handles? Mines all scratched, I am gonna try painting it with plasticote. If that fails I shall replace `em.
Have tried to prise them off, but no luck. Don`t want to force it unless its the only way. Are there hidden screws?

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
first you need to pry off the panel surrounding the chrome release lever, ideally use a plastic tool for this as the clips are stupidly tight and a metal blade will crush the edge of the plastic marking it, once this is off it'll allow you to pry up and off the panel containing the electric window switch, you'll then see all the screws holding the doorcard in position

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Sorry to bump a old thread! Shows i searched tho ;)...

Im going to be doing this at the weekend replacing both the grab handle and the insert behind the chrome handle. Im a little confused, does the whole door card have to be removed revealing the fixings behind or is it possible to replace both with the door card still in situ?

Cheers.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Cheers bud, ive had a quick glance at the guide to remove the card which doesnt look to hard.

Anybody else confirm this? just dont want to go to the bother of removing it/busting clips if it can be done in situ.

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
I dont think you do need to remove the door card :confused: i dont remember doing it when i replaced mine.

I'll be changing my handles in the near future aswell, might do it tomorrow if i can be bothered i'll let you know. :)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Bump for this morning.

Can anybody confirm the best way to do it as im hoping to do it this afternoon.

Ta very muchly!

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
to remove the handles surrounds i used a small flat screwdriver. they just pop off.

To get at the silver handle bit and remove it you do need to pop the door card off - it's far easier that I thought. There is a photo guide somewhere about it. The bit with the silver pulling handle itself will need to be glued back onto the door card as it is joined onto it in 2 places with a plastic type of weld and can be popped off. I used a resin based glue and it was fine.

guide here http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108386&highlight=door+handle

clarkey-cool/s

Braindead
Mar 24, 2008
Flathead screwdriver in from the bottom, pull handle up gently, you can feel where the clips are, so do it next to them to put less stress. Make sure you are pushing the handles UP with the screwdriver else you risk snapping them. I found the best way to remove the rubber finish was 1200 grit wet and dry paper, and a Dremel with the polishing head and compund for the tricky bits E.G behind the handle, in the switch recesses etc.
Hope that helps everyone.
PS Should this be put in the faq section? A more complete thread on the same topic perhaps...

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Cheers guys,

I fitted the new plastic handles in about 10 minutes flat like others have said it was just a matter of a flat screw driver and prise them off.

Pieace of poodles!

Dec 31, 2005
London
Benny I dont suppose you've got a part number have you? looked in the part numbers thread but not found much and my drivers side handle snapped off so need to phone around to see who has one in stock!
Cheers

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Can I jump on this bandwagon as well lol

I plan to paint mine, as I'm afriad that if I go to the dealers and get new ones, they're gonna look as bad in about a years time.

But whats the best thing to use to sand them down, and what would you use to paint them with?

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
Can I jump on this bandwagon as well lol

I plan to paint mine, as I'm afriad that if I go to the dealers and get new ones, they're gonna look as bad in about a years time.

But whats the best thing to use to sand them down, and what would you use to paint them with?

I used wet and dry to start with, found that the rubber thinned out quite abit before it was completely removed. Then tried a flatblade screwdriver and tried to be gentle but obviousely not gentle enough.
Anyway, lol, if you leave the handles in warm water the rubber/plastic softens up quite abit. just use an old card to scrape it off.

Rubbed them down after just to make sure they were smooth, then primed using some primer i found in the garage and then old halfords matt black paint. I decided not to laquer them as i didnt want a shiney look. They are still in my garage though and need fitting. :D

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
Benny I dont suppose you've got a part number have you? looked in the part numbers thread but not found much and my drivers side handle snapped off so need to phone around to see who has one in stock!
Cheers

I have the old packaging in the garage come to think of it. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if theres part numbers on there.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Ahh sorry i didnt realise it was the actual chrome handle you was after, i didnt replace that part so cant help there sorry.