Interior lights....won't switch off

JODmeister

May 9, 2013
This one is really bothering me.

I have done multi search but results usually relate to lights not working.

Problem:
I am unable to switch off the interior map/reading lights.

They will only switch off when I lock the doors.

They come on when I unlock the doors.

Temporary remedy:
Piece of cardboard covering lights with Blu Tac....:funk:

Can someone check this one:
I have heard that some leon/VW main light switch (side/dipped/main/fog) when depressed in the off position will switch on all interior lights. If this is the case I wonder if my switch is stuck? The rotating switch does actually depress in the off off position.

Maybe it's the on/off rocker switch on the interior light unit itself but I've tried to get it out without success as I get to the point whereby something is going to snap.

Any positive feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I suggest there is either a fault with the interior light unit itself or with a switch in one of the doors/boot.

When you lock the car the power get cut to the interior light so it will always go off when locking the car even if you left the switch in the "always on" position. You can tell this because the light goes straight out when you lock the doors and doesn't gradually dim to nothing like it does when you shut one of the doors.

First thing to do is see if there is is any indication on your MFD that one or more of the doors or boot is still open even if they are all shut. If there is then you have a fault with the switch on those particular doors/boot. If no doors/boot are showing as open then I suggest the interior light unit itself is likely to be faulty (i.e. some kind of internal short to the always on button contact).

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
And this is how to remove the front interior courtesy light unit...

5386609887_9ba2e5cc2c_b.jpg

5386609969_4a9636f0e4_b.jpg

I suggest you use a plastic trim removal tool or something non-metal to do this (i.e. not a screwdriver) so you avoid risking any damage to the plastic parts.

Last edited:

JODmeister

May 9, 2013
Thanks for the reply on this.

I managed to pull open the whole light unit. All clean and tidy, no contacts burned out.

There is no lights showing doors/boot open. Still at a loss with this one.

JODmeister

May 9, 2013
I think I should maybe try a replacement light unit.......does anyone know the part number. Same as the unit displayed above.

Cheers.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Be aware that there are two different part numbers depending on the colour. This also assumes that you don't have a sliding sunroof because the part for those is different (there is a dial section in the middle for the sunroof knob).

• 5P0947111E Y20 -> Pearl Grey
  • 5P0947111E 71N -> Anthracite

The parts catalogue is showing them as being ~70 Euros with tax from a dealer (~£52). I've seen them go on eBay for ~£25 but there don't seem to be any at the moment.

Reactions: Rob66
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.