Interior plastics imitate Rampant Rabbit whenever bass kicks in.

Chocozai

The Neuroscientist
You heard me. Any bass on the stereo (however quiet) sets off my interior plastics into fits of wild vibration, and therefore lots of horrible noise. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? The sound system is completely stock, and the sound seems to come mainly from the drivers side door. Help!!!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Take off door cards and make sure that all surfaces that are likely to vibrate i.e when plastic comes into contact with metal, are separated by something like insulation. I did this to my car using just normal loft insulation to fill up the whole door card and the sound quality is far better with no vibrations and less road noise :D Hope this helps!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Ah, cheers. I hear loft insulation is rather flammable - I'll use dynamat or something. Love the Formula Sport - they've got gorgeous seats from what I've seen - I'll been trying to source a set for my car!!

Loft insulation stops fire from spreading- trust me, i work in the construction industry lol! Yeah i like the seats in my car but the drivers one has sunk a little :confused:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Ah, cheers. I hear loft insulation is rather flammable - I'll use dynamat or something. Love the Formula Sport - they've got gorgeous seats from what I've seen - I'll been trying to source a set for my car!!

As far as I know, loft insulation doesn't burn at all. If it was flammable, it would have never got the go-ahead to be laid in thick sheets above peoples bedrooms! :)

It is an irritant though so you'd want to make sure it couldn't come out of the door.

Dynamat will help muffle sounds and give a cleaner sound, but it won't get rid of big vibrations. You need something to actually 'pad' the door out to stop it banging against it's neighbour.

Aug 23, 2006
Ipswich, Suffolk
You heard me. Any bass on the stereo (however quiet) sets off my interior plastics into fits of wild vibration, and therefore lots of horrible noise. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? The sound system is completely stock, and the sound seems to come mainly from the drivers side door. Help!!!

:lol:

I've just changed my Mk4 for a Mk5.... and thankfully this characteristic isn't there ;)

charlierickman

i have had this problem before and i also did not know what to do about it let alone where the problem originated. i would just hear clinks and tapping sounds below the dash board, near the driver's side, and even from behind the passenger side. it too would flair up when i crank the sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
I had exactly the same problem, thankfully repositioning my sub seemed to cure it. I'm guessing in your case it could be something metallic or the speakers themself?

Hope you're joking about the dubstep thing :p I can't stand that stuff haha

Each to their own though fella

L14M_T

THE JOYS OF A 1200cc
Jan 14, 2009
RCT, South Wales
my boot is bad for this too I'm trying to work out if its my rear screen vibrating or the interior plastic trim against the tailgate.anyone know how to tighten up the rod on the boot handle too as that vibrates a bit with the slack in it?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members