|Interior trim rattles?

Bruce GT3

May 8, 2010
,Location, Location
Guys,

Want your opinion on what you would think to be acceptable?

Car is coming up to 12montyhs old, and since day 1 I've had various tinterior trim rattles. They are speed or road-surface related (and therefore due to resonance).

So far I have;
A vibration in the rear of the car abive the hatch at 50-65mph
Another from behind the glovebox at 75-95mph (really annoying on motorways [:@])
Another from the B-pillar / seatbelt mount by my right ear (road surface dependent)

Whilst I know Seats aren't supposed to be "built" like Audis, is it unreasonable to demand the dealer to fix them? The car has been back once already for these, but I know how difficult it is to find the source of the problem, and they haven't resolved them yet...

What do you think?

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Guys,

Want your opinion on what you would think to be acceptable?

Car is coming up to 12montyhs old, and since day 1 I've had various tinterior trim rattles. They are speed or road-surface related (and therefore due to resonance).

So far I have;
A vibration in the rear of the car abive the hatch at 50-65mph
Another from behind the glovebox at 75-95mph (really annoying on motorways [:@])
Another from the B-pillar / seatbelt mount by my right ear (road surface dependent)

Whilst I know Seats aren't supposed to be "built" like Audis, is it unreasonable to demand the dealer to fix them? The car has been back once already for these, but I know how difficult it is to find the source of the problem, and they haven't resolved them yet...

What do you think?

Trim rattles are really annoying I had the B pillar one and I resolved it my self by adjusting the seat belt height down if I remember and it went. Had similar on another car and was the seat belt mounting point rattling.

75-95mph you may get what Audi gave a customer "we are unable to test at that speed as we would be breaking the law". Have you tried it with an empty glovebox/glovebox open to see it it is the contents or the catch needing a bit of Vaseline?

The rear one could be the tailgate adjustment and you have two black rubber bungs that are used to adjust this. Also try putting some silicone spray on these and also the seals to see if this helps?

Usually rattles I try to eliminate myself if I can as dealers won't do much unless they can see it or know about it. SEAT dealers seem to have become reluctant to do anything unless they know SEAT will pay the warranty claim in the past 18 months.

Bruce GT3

May 8, 2010
,Location, Location
Trim rattles are really annoying I had the B pillar one and I resolved it my self by adjusting the seat belt height down if I remember and it went. Had similar on another car and was the seat belt mounting point rattling.

75-95mph you may get what Audi gave a customer "we are unable to test at that speed as we would be breaking the law". Have you tried it with an empty glovebox/glovebox open to see it it is the contents or the catch needing a bit of Vaseline?

The rear one could be the tailgate adjustment and you have two black rubber bungs that are used to adjust this. Also try putting some silicone spray on these and also the seals to see if this helps?

Usually rattles I try to eliminate myself if I can as dealers won't do much unless they can see it or know about it. SEAT dealers seem to have become reluctant to do anything unless they know SEAT will pay the warranty claim in the past 18 months.

Thaks Jez.

Yep - I had the "we can't let our technicians drive over 70mph" excuse already. Next time I think I'll volunteer to drive whilst the tech can ride shotgun and find the rattle! Glovebox one is really annoying - it isn't anything to do with the glovebox itaself, as i've had the Mrs. open it, shut it, empty it, hold on the the lid - you name it. I't still there - sounds like it could be a panel behind the glovebox?

Thanks for the seatbelt tip and silicon spray - I'll try that and see if they go.

B.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Thaks Jez.

Yep - I had the "we can't let our technicians drive over 70mph" excuse already. Next time I think I'll volunteer to drive whilst the tech can ride shotgun and find the rattle! Glovebox one is really annoying - it isn't anything to do with the glovebox itaself, as i've had the Mrs. open it, shut it, empty it, hold on the the lid - you name it. I't still there - sounds like it could be a panel behind the glovebox?

Thanks for the seatbelt tip and silicon spray - I'll try that and see if they go.

B.

Sounds like it could be the actual dash rubbing another common cause they can try packing it to stop it vibrating, they will need to hear it as could well entail a full dash removal to cure it.

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Could be the dreaded common air vent pipework rattles!!! Had those - its a dash out to fix but then would probably get more!!! I just put up with it. Yes its all part of SEAT ownership! The cheap plastic clips used behind the dash

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
welcome to seat ownership!

Welcome to car ownership you mean. I was in a Bently a little while ago and that had a rattle from the interior trim. Also I had a drive of a BMW 5series GT and that had rattly windows that needed to be either fully up or fully down to stop them rattling along with very clunky door check mechanisms this used to be a MK2 Astra issue FFS.

Last edited:

gh.fr

Leon FR CR TDI
Dec 20, 2007
Bradford
I had the glove box rattle, but at much lower speeds. I found that if I stuck my finger in one of the air vent holes for the passenger footwell (I could still see over the dash!) that it stopped. Fixed it by removing the trim under the glove box and packing the air vent pipe with some sponge.

olliebloory

rattle

iv got a rattle that sounds like its comin from the bck of the middle vents above the satnav.....driving me CRAZY

olliebloory

what about taking the stereo out and then the climate controls ..?does this gain access>?

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
dont know - there were a few threads on this a while back - stealer said it was dash out

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
I keep loads of things in my door pockets and glove box, that way i convince myself its not the car thats rattling, its them and i can fix it whenever i like lol it helps keep my sane...

Karin

I have a rattle in the rear passenger door. It usually stops if you lower the window a bit, and occasionally stays stopped when you close it again. Been doing it since I got the car in november (58 Cupra), got so bad I decided I wasn't going to wait for the sevice to mention it to the dealer, and then it promptly stopped for a few weeks. Came back again, went in for service on Monday this week, and would it do it while they had the car? Course not. Now it's back again. Driving me mad.
And I have a few other rattles, notably the one in the driver's door pillar, and one in the handbrake housing. Beginning to think I might just have to live with them. My husband's Audi A4 is blissfully quiet in comparison, but as he pointed out, his is a £40k car, and mines a £20k car...

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
I cured my "glovebox area" rattle accidently by bringing a load of kitchen stuff back from IKEA, I had it resting of the passenger side dash through to the boot.

johnkearns89

May 11, 2012
I had a similar rattle on my B-pillar, if you open the front and back doors that will expose screws that hold on the exterior trim on the pillar, I gave them a tighten, problem solved! though it never lasts too long, I might look into a touch of threadlock on the screws to keep them tight!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.