Intermittent Door Opening Problem

Splatercash

Feb 7, 2013
I see from search that many people have had issues with doors getting jammed and my rear-passenger side door has been jammed from both the inside and out for months. I tackled it today and through sheer luck and persistence I managed to get it to open from the inside. Ironically, it was a combination of mucking about with the settings in little screen and trying different open/unlock combos.

In the background the drivers door has been dodgy as well. Basically, sometimes when you unlock with the fob the drivers door can be opened as normal and on other occasions it's still locked and needs to be physically unlocked using the key in the barrel. There is no rhyme or reason, it's just pot luck whether it will open or not.

Now the rear-passenger door behaves in much the same way. Sometimes it can be opened from the outside when the car is unlocked but usually you need to open it from the inside. It's behaviour is identical to the drivers door with one key exception: there is no barrel to manually open it from the outside as with the drivers door. The problem with the rear-passenger door is that if the interior mechanism decides to fail again at the same time as the outside can't be opened them I'm back to have a door that's stuck for an undefined period of time.

All of this makes no sense, I can't figure out why sometimes these doors open happily from the outside and other times they don't. The one constant in all of this is that once the car has been unlocked and the offending door opened it will ALWAYS happily open from the inside and out until locked again. There's an argument to say don't lock the car but that's hardly a practical solution :D

Thoughts...

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Common fault - most likely a new locking mechanism required.
I've done two doors so far and a third is starting to play up.

Last edited:

Splatercash

Feb 7, 2013
Common fault - most likely a new locking mechanism required.
I've done two doors so far and a third is starting to play up.

Thanks. So is that the whole module (plastic box) that's bolted into the door between the outer skin and door card or a part within said module. Other than a stealers, where can you buy these locking mechanisms, how much do they cost and do they need coded to the fob or ECU?

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
It's the whole module that contains the door catch, bolted to the door. Best bet is to get the fault codes read first to make sure it's definitely the part you need.
They are about £130 for a new one, different part number for each door. Best bet is to ask Dave (Sere motors) on the forum. You can pick them up second hand cheaper, but no guarantee it'll work/for how long.

loonitic

Jun 16, 2013
I bought one off Dave@ Sere last week for £135 delivered for the drivers door. Local dealers wanted £170+...

Splatercash

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks guys. Jesus, so if the codes show the locks are at fault I'll be looking at around £270 as I need two modules. Bummer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise