Intermittent Gear Selection Issue Seat Leon ST 6TDI 5F8

May 20, 2019
Hi All
I have a Seat Leon ST SE Technology1.6TDI SE 5F8
I seem to have a problem with my manual 5 speed gear selector. The problem is intermittent and has occurred twice in a week. a couple of days apart.
First instance. I was in traffic in neutral with the autostart off. I couldnt get the car into gear. Eventually I found reverse and second at a push. The car gears became available but at a push. It rectified itself within 10 mins
Second instance. As I was driving the gear became stiff and I could only find reverse and second. The car autostop came into play and I found the gears became available.
On both occasions the car drove fine after the problem resolved itself. I have tried the gear selectors with the engine off, just to check and it all moves smoothly with the clutch.
The car has done over 100k and is a 2015 reg estate. Funny enough its 3 months warranty is finishing in a couple of days and because the fault is intermittent its hard to identify. I took it to one garage and they drove it around stating it was fine and I talked to another garage who stated they could only do a similar.
Can anyyone advise me what the fault could be and where to look? Could it be the clutch wearing away?
Anyhow thanks for looking over this.
Harvey

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.