intermittent power loss 1.8T

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
Bit of a problem
Driving my car the other day and it had no go like the turbo was not there. So i drove a bit more to a petrol station stuck some fuel in. I pulled of and it shot of like i just stole it thought it was a bit wired as before there was no go in her.
So i thought m.a.f sensor on the way out.
I replaced it with a brand new one. Fitted the went for a spin and it drove normal.
Now the other day going work it did the same felt like there was no turbo.
But on the way home from work perfect.
Checked all the using things for leaks. I could not see nothing spilt or leaking
Put it on vag.com no faults where found.
any you guys have any idea whats going on.

Last edited:

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
limp mode possibly?

are you mapped? if so what settings?

dv ok? oo7p? top on ok?

splits in pipes, check and the usual. coil packs on ok?

remap by revo forge dv fitted same time been done about a year been ok just last couple of days stated last saturday drove ok then drove like just a 1.8
could not see any splits in pipes.

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
I can't believe symptoms like that will not turn up in VAG-COM.

Off topic, I know, but what a way to write! If I knew a lot, I couldn't help, because it's hard to read.
Sorry all corrected now did it in a bit of a rush as i was still at work lol:cartman:

Last edited:

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
what fuel an setting are you running?
fuel setting normal m8
Was using shell but i have moved house so now i use esso.
Not had any trouble until now. Just to add a bit more. The other day i gave her a bit of stick from a standing start 1st to 2nd gear. When i stuck her in 2nd gear there was like a flat spot then whoosh i was thrown forward then back. like i stuck my foot on the brake paddle .

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
sounds to me like a boost control valve fitted to turbo? i know where it is on the lcr,but sure on lc!! if it was intermittent...
that would cause the fault you describing?? thats why turbo isnt working its not getting the signal? how many miles you done?

Aug 24, 2007
sounds like the problem mine had, dead turbo.

The actuator was sticking half the time causing loss of boost. No fault codes ever came up :wtf:

andycupra

status subject to change
fuel setting normal m8
Was using shell but i have moved house so now i use esso.
Not had any trouble until now. Just to add a bit more. The other day i gave her a bit of stick from a standing start 1st to 2nd gear. When i stuck her in 2nd gear there was like a flat spot then whoosh i was thrown forward then back. like i stuck my foot on the brake paddle .

fuel setting 'normal' being? do you know what the timing is? or are you saying its on zero?

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Does sound like limp mode in which case you'll get a max of 5psi which after 18odd will feel like no turbo!

Shame its not logging a fault but has been seen before - as you have changed the MAF it could be the N75. Anyone you know with the same engine?

Next time it does it just pull up and restart then engine and it should be back to normal

Punch IT!

you fool!
Jun 22, 2007
west london
Bit of a problem
Driving my car the other day and it had no go like the turbo was not there. So i drove a bit more to a petrol station stuck some fuel in. I pulled of and it shot of like i just stole it thought it was a bit wired as before there was no go in her.
So i thought m.a.f sensor on the way out.
I replaced it with a brand new one. Fitted the went for a spin and it drove normal.
Now the other day going work it did the same felt like there was no turbo.
But on the way home from work perfect.
Checked all the using things for leaks. I could not see nothing spilt or leaking
Put it on vag.com no faults where found.
any you guys have any idea whats going on.

Hi there, my LC does the same thing once in a while. I leave for work as normal then once engine is warm i press down the gas pedal to find no power at all with boost gauge not going past 0.5 bar. At traffic lights i switch engine off then once started off i go snapping my neck at 1.4bar on boost gauge.
I have been having this problem for a few months at least twice a month.:cry:

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Does sound like limp mode in which case you'll get a max of 5psi which after 18odd will feel like no turbo!

Shame its not logging a fault but has been seen before - as you have changed the MAF it could be the N75. Anyone you know with the same engine?

Next time it does it just pull up and restart then engine and it should be back to normal

Mine does exactly the same thing, it seems to be more often on very cold mornings. A lot of mornings i'll start the car twice just to clear it as I got used to it.
My car is completely standard and has no logged faults so I don't know what to replace. I don't want to cough of the money to replace the MAF if the N75 is at fault and visa versa.

What has been the most common fix for this fault?

And if it is a 'limp mode' why isn't it indicated on the dash lights?

Gezz

Nov 12, 2006
Manchester
Mine too, its a standard 180bhp cupra.

At one point it was doing it once or twice a week, would always return to normal when I restart it, seemed to do it more when it was raining, but maybe thats just a coincidence.

Seems to be doing it a lot less now, but don't know why. I'm just going to live with it, as I can always get the car working fine with a restart, so have better things to spend my money on!

Can still hear the turbo whistling but a lot slower. My mate had a Golf 1.8T 150bhp and feels a bit slower than that. I always start every journey with a quick flooring in 2nd gear and if it doesn't pull as normal find somewhere to pull over quick and restart the car!

But if anyone works out what it is I'd be grateful!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
seems related to cold start. i get this too but usually only very low temps.

alls well once youve restarted but ive actually driven through it... power just returned. its almost like ecu`s protecting the turbo during cold start up cycle.

perhaps the ecu detects a boost leak.. not enough to log a fault but enough to hit soft limp... car heats up and everything expands and leak is sealed?

Orguss

May as well ad my name to the list i get the same problem

Luckily i spose i have a boost gauge fitted so its easy to tell when i need to restart but still very annoying as it take a few minutes before limp mode kicks in.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
condensation in the maf electrical plug made my car very jerky in the morning.. revs would alternate between 700-1400 almost like a swaying pendulum. problem vanished after 10mins as the moisture evaporated. the fix was dielectric grease packed into the connector displacing air/moisture.

im wondering if there are any other electrical items that could be affected by moisture and give symptoms of soft limp.:shrug:

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
N75 is on the intake from the Air Box

Looks like this ...
N75_J.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.