Internals for Big turbo

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
i'm hopefully going to be going big turbo soon and haven't really got a clue what i'll need for the internals of the engine,

I'm hopefully going to be running gt28rs and would like to see 300-350 bhp, for this i can assume i'll need pistons, rods, valves, headbolts but i'm not sure what else would be needed any help is greatly recieved as i've never done anything like this before,

have you any recommendations for parts/ suppliers etc

Thanks for help in advance

Tim

caveo

You wont need the internals doing if you stay around 330 bhp mark. Over this and the rods need uprating.
Where are you going for the BT upgrade?

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
i'd rather do the internals to be on the safe side and a mate will do it for me at a resonable price, as for whos doing it i'd like to have a go myself so if anything goes wrong i'll have idea on how to fix it and for a sense of i did it all myself, probably the wrong approach i know!!

I'll have search on it, if i don't get any joy i'll be back! ha ha

Tim

caveo

Check out the vag worx web site for a very good selection of internal parts.

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
well generally

pistons
exhaust and inlet valves
rods
head bolts
shells
big end bearings

have a look at hooch's thread at beginning theres loads there

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
i'll have a look on vagworx's website,

is there any particular make that stands out above the rest or is it all just personal preferance at the end of the day?

is there any upgrade with the shells or is it just new items, same with the big end bearings?

Tim

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
I ran my APR Stage 3+ that Awersome fitted at 100k......it will run safely at 340bhp according to APR.

However I rebuilt at 109k for peacer of mind and some track work would put extra duress on the engine.

I used the following supplier after advise from many on Vortex

www.qedpower.com

The guy who runs the business Bob was very helpful, cheap and above of all know's his engines. He can supply everything from the US within 3-5 days.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
You should also think about torque values. You can pop an engine with 280bhp if the torque is set too high.

For you're application the standard pistons can cope. You can get intergrated engine engineering rods that fit the standard 19mm gudeon pin for later cars.

Valves and springs if you want to rev high, or if you are into track days.

You can leave the engine in the car to do the rods and plastigauge the new bearings.

I'm pulling my engine out because I want the bores honed (175000 miles with a vf34). Having the engineering shop fit the pistons and rods while the block is there.
Headwork I'll do myself. Rememeber to check valve guide play. Not usually a problem however.

Fit a new oil pump whilst it's in bits.

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
As HTC states fit a new oil pump....again quedpower supplied an OE pump half the price of the UK prices.

He supplied Mahl pistons with the 20mm gudgeon pins for extra strength together with practically any rod. I went for Scat rods. I also replaced the valves (exhaust) with Supertech Inconnel items. Didn't bother changing the springs on my APR application as it revs to safer levels. It's only if revving regularly over and up to 8k.....no point unless you have something extreme like Mr Brockbanks car.....most of the B/T on here don't go anywhere near his levels.
I changed all my bearings shells and mains, guides, oil seals and when apart and all new gaskets.

I had previously changed the cam belt tensioner and water pump with metal impeller a must when apart.

Last edited:

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
What's the safe rev limit for the 19 mm pin rods ? I know they bend with excessive torque but what can you rev them to if you keep the torque below say 270 ft lbs ?

Bernard

My car runs 330lbs on OE internals until this year when I rebuilt for another 100k and built in extra strength.

The IE engineering rods are supposedly very good but I changed the lot when the car was apart and decided on the 20mm pins with new pistons. You don't have to change the pistons. I did as part of rebuilding for maximum durability and another load of miles.

Rods normally bend with torque rather than revs but mine revs to 7500 or thereabouts....I rarely need to rev it past 6-6500rpm but it happily pulls to well over 7k with the APR kit.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
So, so far i'd be looking at:-

- pistons -----> probably JE standard bore
- con rods -----> probably scat 20mm
- valves -----> inlet and exhaust or just exhaust?
- oil pump -----> uprated or standard?
- head bolts -----> arp bolts
- shells -----> new standard shells
- big end bearings -----> new standard bearings?
- gaskets -----> uprated head and inlet gasket (phelonic?)

should this be ok?

Tim

caveo

Personaly id bore out to 1.9 while i was there to reduce turbo lag , but the list looks good.

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
use standard head bolts for your set up

standard oil pump

you can get uprated main but not needed

standard head gasket will be fine

also dont be tempted by cheaper pistons. the quality is no where near je's quality

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
cool, cheers guys.

i'm so tempted to get it bored out to a 1.9 as my mate who's going to build it said he knows someone who could do on the cheap as does rebores for his job!!!!

i'm 99% going to go with JE pistons so there's no worries there, if i was to go 1.9 then would i need new/uprated head bolts and gaskets?

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
just over sized gasket. standard head bolts are pretty good but up to you

boring out is only cheap anyway...£120

HoocH

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
I'm trying to work out whether to go for a larger bore or not. I have AGU pistons which already have 20mm gudeon pins. These are known to be strong pistons (mahle I think?)

People say to go for 1.9, but if torque is slightly less in the low rev range, would that help with traction?

Hyperthetically, how much quicker might my vf34 spool with 100cc extra in capacity? Does 100cc really make all that difference?

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
the extra 2mm overbore creates more spacefor the head/valves also, which means more flow.

it isnt just the capacity

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise