Intresting review of the new Ibiza Cupra on Pistonheads.

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
What's not to like about a 7 speed race 'box developed to be better than you could be?

vtxracer intresting results on that I see they are over the 184ft/lb right the way through to about 6k, (6000 rpm and 210bhp would be 183.82ft/lb) so even if the map pegged back the torque at the lower end of the revs if you could push it upto 184 from 152.5 at 6200rpm you are looking at 217bhp. It won't have the same punch as it would with the extra low down torque but with 7 gears and a super fast change you can keep it in the optimum range.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
A friend has a golf tsi dsg remapped to 240 hp. The dsg still works perfectly. He can beat every manual. Dsg is a really good gearbox. Shift gears in less than 8 ms while an f1 gearbox at about 140 ms.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
would be better if it was an option but then would it work better with a manual considering the Super/turbo arrangement is an all new arrangement

not exactly a big bore 16v motor after all

plus would anyone buy it if it was optional cost of course

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
I would get the dsg no matter the cost. I own a dsg passat and it is very comfortable. Also got an FR because it had the dsg gearbox.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
lol come on, a gearbox option is never going to be a 50% premium on car's base price is it :):)

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
what i want to,say is that the convinience the dsg offers you is worth the extra cost. And i am willing to pay a lot to get a good gearbox. Luckily the new fr had it as standart.

Prev

Dont do that....
Feb 3, 2004
C.I Guernsey
www.cicarscene.com
Im not a fan of any autospastic gearboxes. 5 or 6 on the floor for me. Drove my mates R32 with DSG and truely hated the experience. Drove my Dads 911 with that stupid tiptronic crap in it also horrible. Drove my mates 911, same year and model with 6 speed manual and it felt like a different car loved it.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
I dunno....people spend hundreds learning to drive a car with gears and then are only too willing to throw it all away for the sake of a bit of 'convienience' (at great added expense I might add)....you'll all be in auto Volvos next!

Tsk....youth of today etc etc etc....

;)

jazzdevil

To be fair, I've not driven anything with DSG yet... but the concept just doesn't appeal for some reason.

What worries me is that the PH review (and several other DSG comments on this thread)suggest that the system is so good at doing what it does that it disconnects you from the driving experience... where I've always driven a car where reaching out and shifting a manual 'box was part of the process - irrespective of whether I do it several seconds slower than some natty computer-brain.

Horses for courses I guess, but I just resent the assumption that manufacturers are making that everyone wants this over an apparently 'old fashioned' gearstick :(

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
despite the playstation-like fun the DSG gives, and the round-town pootleability, i'd still rather have the proper hands on feeling you get when you stomp on the brakes and manually put the car into third for a roundabout etc.
on a bigger, more cruisy saloon car i probably would have DSG but not on a hot hatch

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
dont read the ph comments!

:ban: dont read the comments after the article on ph. Not many like the shape of the car or interior and are actually quite rude about it. This is from a bunch of kids who drive around in chaved up corsas! :lol: