Introducing myself - pics, from gti6 to ibiza cupra

dave_6

Apr 26, 2005
Essex
Hey,

Haven't got round to this yet, posted in here as I'll probably only really post in this part of the site.

22 from Colchester in Essex, had a 306 gti6 for the last two years, was a great car.

lowered 40mm, magnex exhaust, 17" alessio alloys

It was time to sell up, had some more money available and after hitting a pheasant in the 306, i'd had enough of it, fixed it up and sold it

Had a fair bit available and was looking at elises and vx220s, decided i maybe wanted a vx220, but test drove one and it put me off,
wasnt in the best condition and performance didnt seem all that great, + i needed a car with more top end speed as I drive on a national limit single lane road everyday where I need to overtake as otherwise I'd be sat behind lorries way too much.

A mate had an ibiza cupra which was remapped a couple of years back so I decided to get one, not as common as the 172 and ctr

picked up a cupra, 2001
Cambelt replaced and Metal Water Pump @ 50,000 miles.
Custom Jabbasport remap producing 250bhp / 285 lb.ft
K03s Sport Turbo (k03-058 unsilenced)
Custom FMIC
Red Forge Turbo Intake Pipe
All vaccum hoses replaced with red silicon
3" Blueflame 100cell race cat Downpipe leading to 2.75" Catback Scorpion, heatwrapped.
Silicon Hoses
Green Panel Filter in smoothed airbox
Heatwrapped Charge Pipe
Aquamist set at 12psi.
Forge 007p DV
4 Bar FPR
15mm spacers on rear

still getting used to it, and the rain hasn't helped, my first turbo

not sure what to do with the car, 35mm lowering springs came with the sale, and 2 shocks, not sure whether to get them fitted yet

one thing I would love, cheesy i know, but its my first turbo , would be to have the classic dumpvalve noise, however I don't really get anything, nothing at all to be honest but nevermind, I know you can't get it but my mates old one used to have some sound when dumping.

IMG_0371.jpg

6forthesite2.jpg

6interior.jpg

not had time to take my own pics of the ibiza yet, going to give it a good machine polish and then take some and decide what to do with it, thing I miss about the 306 is how much feeling I used to get through the steering, but then the ibiza is soo smooth and feels well put together

ibiza1.jpg

ibiza2.jpg

ibiza3.jpg

ibiza4.jpg

Steve GTI

Feb 26, 2007
Your the one that bought it! I nearly sold my girlfriend to buy it then martin emailed me to say someone has just given me £5900 for it!

Nice car, get it lowered.

Dec 31, 2005
London
yeah you wont get quite the same dump as an atmospheric but an open cone will get you some noise!
When i went from a k&n open cone back to standard airbox with green panel i lost all noise

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
It's a nice example... trust me I've seen plenty of it.. lol.. Martin is a good mate of ours and has been round ours many a time :)

Hope you enjoy it.

dave_6

Apr 26, 2005
Essex
open cone hey, might lose some performance with one? from heatsoak?

didn't pay £5900 for it either

tempted to get it lowered

want to avoid any rubbing though

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
you will not loose performance from an open cone you will gain!!

Ive tried most induction setup and the best for me(with water injection) is by far a huge 12" open filter
As you have water injection and any hot air it sucks in will soon disappear as soon as the water injection kicks in.

Last edited:

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Yeah thats Martins alright, superb machine... loved it, puilled away from me on motorway thats for sure lol

I wouldn't open cone it, drill the airbox,....if you like the way it pulls don't mess with it too much lol

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
i really don't see what the problem is with open cones.
it made a huge difference in mine from the airbox
maybe not a good idea without water injection. but i run a similar set up with Laguna fmic and water injection. and with my open cone my intake temps stay around 18-23 degrees. works for me

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
My car has a twin! super T`s double nomad piller and the best flash red ;) looks a lovly example! Im looking to go k03s very soon just in the process of getting brakes and suspension at the moment, brakes should be added to your list mate, Need better stopping power than what he have when your pushing 250bhp,

David.

dave_6

Apr 26, 2005
Essex
yea brakes wouldnt be a bad idea

tempted to lower and maybe get an open filter, need to choose the right one though, don't want to waste money and dont want to lose performance

will do some searches on both and decide

dave_6

Apr 26, 2005
Essex
it's not slow thats for sure

only really had a couple of plays in it so far, rolling in 4th was quicker than my mates R32, weather has been pretty crap lately though so haven't been able to have any fun

+ the clutch plays up sometimes, and a coilpack popped up a bit so have had to cut small grooves in to prevent

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
the thing with an open cone is that before reaching the intercooler...what temp do you think the charge is at??

sure enough on an NA motor, there is risk of taking in hot air from the engine bay, but going through the turbo sort of changes things

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
the thing with an open cone is that before reaching the intercooler...what temp do you think the charge is at??

sure enough on an NA motor, there is risk of taking in hot air from the engine bay, but going through the turbo sort of changes things

but the guy has the Laguna intercooler, love it of hate it you have to agree it does a very good job at reducing intake temps. On top of that he has water injection which will drop another 10 ish degrees of the intake temps.
I'm talking about my own experience that it is possible to make more gains by adding a freer flowing filter ie open cone and let the intercooler and WI do its job of cooling the intake temps.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
the intercooler wasn't the point, the point was that the charge leaving the turbo is hot enough. which decreases the effectiveness of a heat shield around the filter since it doesnt make a difference in that way. so not as much risk of a performance loss when using an open cone

was sort of agreeing with you in that sense

i wont comment on whether or not there is a gain to be had by using one. in your experience there was

Last edited:

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
not a mod for everybody i know! I only tried it to see what the results were. But if there is enough cooling to composite the possibility of hotter air being sucked in then there can be nice gains to be made.
just my 2 pence ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.