iPod adaptor / iPhone 3GS compatibility in Cupra

InvisibleName

Candy White Bocanegra
Jun 28, 2005
Peterborough
I'm about to replace my Leon FR DSG with a Ibiza Cupra & am thinking of getting the ipod adaptor. Does anyone know if this will accept the iPhone 3GS and, if so, what music playing functionality do you get?

Last edited:

Klang J

Apr 15, 2006
can this cable be bought at a later date. after you have taken delivery for example

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I strongly suspect that the Ford USB iPod cable will be compatible with the Ibiza USB. I know that the Ford cable works in other makes like BMW etc. As its only £20 its a quite a saving over the £65 Seat part.

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/audio_cable_btvc_phone_interface_+_usb_connect_1086.htm

Anyone want to gamble £20 and find out if it works?

I found a ford dealer selling one on ebay - just sent them a message asking if they knew if it would work, and if not, would they offer a refund if i tested it out and it didnt.

I don't expect to get good news back lol - but worth a try.

Failing that I'll just get a bigish usb stick and load that up with music.

Last edited:

jewelx

phone does work but ours has to be in airplane mode which defeats the point of having the bluetooth .
My dealer gave me the cable free xx

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The £65 for the kit is more than the cable, you also get the cradle and fitting kit.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
But that link for that cable is different to the iPod kit that works with the Ibiza iPod prep option. That comes with a cradle that fits in the propper space in the centre console.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
So i got a reply from the ford dealer on eBay, he said he hadn't tested it in anything other than fords, but would be able to return it for a refund if it didn't work. I've ordered it and should hopefully have it by the weekend, I'll report my findings as soon as I get it, fingers crossed!!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Bad news! - the cable arrived yesterday and it doesn't work.

2 issues with it, firstly its a very tight fit, the aux/usb connectors in the Ibiza are at right angles to each other so ideally you you need an "L" shaped Aux connector so it won't get in the way of the usb lead. The connectos on the Ford cable are both straight - so it's very difficult to plug both the usb and aux cables in.

Secondly, when I did eventually get both cables plugged in, nothing happend, the iPod showed no signs of charging or anything and selecting Aux/USB on the head unit just displayed "no media".

I tired it with 3 different iPods, a 2nd gen iPod touch, a 5th gen iPod video, and a 2nd gen iPod nano so it's nothing do with the iPod touch requiring 5 volt power or anything like that since I tried a broad spread of iPods.

Shame it doesn't work - but theres obviously more to the SEAT cable that goes some way to justifying it's £65 cost - oh and if anyone is interested SERE motors sell it for £57 :)

I'm not sure what to do now: buy a 16 or 32gig memory stick - or buy the SEAT iPod dock/lead.

jewelx

I have an 8 gig memmory stick in mine .... love it it's not on display like an ipod would be so no worries about remembering to hide it when the car is parked.

All the info comes up that u need and can shuffle album tracks to play in a random order and can also shuffle all folders so tracks from different albums can be played......

To be honest i don't see the need for an ipod in the car at all. Does all i need it to do on a memory stick . :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members