Is it just me

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Or do dealers wash cars with brillo pads

First proper chance to give car good once over, roof scratched to f***! For a 3 month old car the only word to use is shocking

Anyone else found same

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
Yep, mines been washed exactly once, when they PDId it (I saw it the day before with the delivery stickers still on) and in the bright sunshine this morning you could see some swirls. I've always asked dealers not to wash cars when they go in for service.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
My roof and bonnet was covered in tree sap or it might've been residue from the covers, could only see it under certain lighting. Loads of tiny dots of crap that even some cleaning wax and clay bar couldn't fully remove. Had to give it a good hot wash and rubbing with a soft microfibre drying towel.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Mine was the same. Dealers are paying for a machine polish and seal from a detailer of my choice. Was originally told this was normal!

Last edited:

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Same here! Noticed it today when it was sunny :( Not to worry, it's in with Paul the detailer on Friday :D It's then in next Tuesday to get the door rattle looked at so they'll be warned under no circumstances will they give me a "complimentary" car scratching....sorry car wash lol

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I was behind a very clean 63 plate A class the other day, it was dark so obviously I had my headlights on, and it showed up loads of swirls on the paint. It was that clean (noticed tyre shine on when going around a roundabout) that I imagine it was only a few days old at the most.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Mother-in-laws brand new Audi Q3 looked so shocking that even my wife gasped...like it was covered in spider webs the swirls were/are so bad.

We would have told them to remove the car from out sight until it's been at the detailer's.

Better yet...
When we bought our Leon, in the Bentley garage in Newcastle....250k bentleys swirled beyond belief.

It's a "feature" of new cars these days

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I watched a valeter at the dealers using a squeegee blade to wipe the dirty water from the "washed" car. Beyond belief when the manufacturers go to so much trouble with paint and protective film from the factory.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Ive layered it with srp, glaze and a wax make is look better than was until i get it in for detail, be 6-8 week wait i reckon

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I have noticed similar with my paintwork, particularly on the 'shoulders'.

Doesn't bother me immensely, actually makes me a little excited to give it a good polish. I'll get it properly detailed after winter too.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
had paint inspection today, scratches on roof look like been caused off a drying blade

its getting an enhancement detail when I can fit the time in to drop car off and do without it for couple of days

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
had paint inspection today, scratches on roof look like been caused off a drying blade

its getting an enhancement detail when I can fit the time in to drop car off and do without it for couple of days

By the dealer? If so why are you not getting a car - mine is getting Gtecniq treatment in early dec anyway so I didn't kick up a stink. (£50 cheaper than they wanted for the GardX stuff in the dealer and its actually good)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Because they more than likely use sponges and no form of pre-wash so all they do is drag dirt and grit over the surface of the paint which is where the dreaded swirls come from.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
By the dealer? If so why are you not getting a car - mine is getting Gtecniq treatment in early dec anyway so I didn't kick up a stink. (£50 cheaper than they wanted for the GardX stuff in the dealer and its actually good)

Not by the dealer, by a local professional detailer :) I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car with their cleaning stuff! 16 year old lad drops the sponge on the floor - oh well, pick it up and carry on...

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
the dealers want me to pick my car up mornay but the time i finish work its dark now so its going to be hard to check for swirl marks :\ or any paint damage on the car :( may ask them not to wash mine tbh with the posts on here lol

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
If you absolutely have to take a bright torch with you and go over the paint with it hold so your eye is off axis a bit and it should pick out anything horrendous. Don't forget to check the wheels and things as well.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I would refuse to pick it up in the dark. If I'm buying a car and giving them £Xk worth of profit I'll pick it up when I want!

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE

Not a hope in hell id let a dealer do a detail

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members