Is mufflerectomy easy to live with?

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
Hello everyone,
I've been quoted £75.00 to have my back box replaced with a straight through pipe with a tip of my choice.
Quite reasonable I think.
My main question is.Does anybody regret having theirs done? Does the 'Darth Vader' noise get annoying at all?
I think I like the sound from the vids I've seen.
Opinions most welcome.

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
Doing things by halves IMHO

I know what you mean,but there's no way I can afford/justify a whole new system at the moment.
I could possibly free up a couple of horses & have an oval tip which I would like, for a fraction of the cost.
:think: Will ponder it until pay day!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I know what you mean,but there's no way I can afford/justify a whole new system at the moment.
I could possibly free up a couple of horses & have an oval tip which I would like, for a fraction of the cost.
:think: Will ponder it until pay day!

As long as your rear shelf is in and your seats are up .... it's fine - also make sure the tip of the exhaust comes out past the end of the bumper. It's not that loud :)

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
Probably a VERY silly question.
Why should the tip come past the end of the bumper?
Is it a melting thing? :blink:
Do you have one (mufflerectomy) Mr.Fester?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
It should come past the bumper as it will sound quieter, and will decrease the amount of soot that gets stuck to your boot.

Mine is very pleasent to live with, certainly doesn't drone, or sound too loud.
I think a cat back mufflerectomy would be perfect. I only get a very quiet pidgeon noise, no darth vader noises for me.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
oooh 75 where from, i have a cupra bodykit going on and this would be a nice cheap way of getting an exhaust in the hole lol

although i want a star shaped tip

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
It should come past the bumper as it will sound quieter, and will decrease the amount of soot that gets stuck to your boot.

Mine is very pleasent to live with, certainly doesn't drone, or sound too loud.
I think a cat back mufflerectomy would be perfect. I only get a very quiet pidgeon noise, no darth vader noises for me.

I think I'm sold on the idea now.
Pidgeons, I can live with!
Possibly a wee bit throatier with the 'ectomy too?

brad1

Yeah, cat back like you are doing just removing the back box should be fine, removing the cat like me makes it louder lol, i found it much louder and the whoooosh (pigeon noise) is mental lol, i have a milltek 2.5" downpipe decat with straigh through pipe, soon i am going to get a milltek downpipe, same as ive got, with a small sillencer, not that the noise does my head, the soot that my car produces and the boot is a state after a day or so, so maybe a small silencer will reduce smoke aswell :shrug:

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
I've done it, cost me £70 at my local place, the noise is easy to live with daily, infact I ****ing love it especially this time of year with the windowns down lol.
Makes a loverly barbelling noise IMO!!!

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
im also thinking about a mufflerectomy. These noise adjectives are quite confusing.

Can anyone elaborate? Also, i was thinking of fully straight though, including decat, as a cat isnt required to pass an MOT on diesel is it?

If you search under mufflerectomy and have a wee dig,you'll find some vid clips of the so called 'pigeon' noises ;)
You can pass your MOT aye.
Removing the cat will bring more noise I'm led to believe.

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
If you search under mufflerectomy and have a wee dig,you'll find some vid clips of the so called 'pigeon' noises ;)
You can pass your MOT aye.
Removing the cat will bring more noise I'm led to believe.

if the exhaust is louder than standard it will fail the mot this is a new law just been introduced as one of my friends told me as he works at a mot station and has seen a couple of cars failing because of it

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
if the exhaust is louder than standard it will fail the mot this is a new law just been introduced as one of my friends told me as he works at a mot station and has seen a couple of cars failing because of it

thats nonsense, theres just a noise limit.

Why should my car HAVE to be quieter than a TVR ?

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
I think it depends on who carrys out the test. A lad at work has got a Golf Gti with just a cat and straight through pipework, and it is VERY loud.

He took it for an mot the other day and it passed with no problems.

brightsideteeem

I'm not like you guys...
No it dosnt, there actually are noise limits, but its mainly for times of day, and area. i cant remember the facts, but i know theres a law, it's at the testers descrection really, if they think it is riddiculously loud, they CAN fail it, but ive never heard of it. As long as it passes emmisions, 9 times out 10, it will pass.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members