Is my cupra slow ??

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
Ive got a mk1 cupra r Just ad a blast up some duels carriage ways with my m8 in his civic type r ep3 and he was all over me untill i hit 4th gear mines spose to be revo stage 2 running 253bhp and his just got air filter and exhaust is there something up with my car ive got a oversize tip , sports cat , jetex back system , forge front mount , 4 bar .i used to keep up with him in my mk4 agu 1.8t running 200bhp ish . do i need to get a better map on it or what fills a bit gutted :(

Last edited:

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Puh bro you're talking a difference of 40hp between the cars. And the ep3 is no slouch. Keeping up vs passing are two different things. Weight, rpm range (ep3 revs forever without shifting) , maybe your driver mod was a bit slow, also maybe you're not staying in the max hp and torque range.

In my opinion our cars are getting old with outdated hp numbers... a stock shitty v6 mustang or other "muscle cars" have 300+ HP. I mean my dad had a Nissan Altima with 265hp and a CVT that **** all over my 2013 WRX cobb stage 2+ from 30-80. Every car has a sweet spot.

You need to try boost braking. Itll give you a little edge over the NA cars

Reactions: Legojon

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi
The EP3 does have quite short ratio box with longer gearing in 4th upwards they do pull well up to about 80mph then our higher torque makes the Leon pull away more noticeably.
They are lighter too by almost 100 kgs. This is a huge advantage in the first 300 metres.
Who did your map and where do you live map wise?
Not great figures for a stage 2 map with a car loaded with stage 2 goodies.
Do you have 550 injectors on there?
Fueling May be holding things back.
Need to get it on a Dyno with a proper 1.8 t mapping guru.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: mty12345

Youshuddaboughtacuprar

Mar 19, 2019
Ive got a mk1 cupra r Just ad a blast up some duels carriage ways with my m8 in his civic type r ep3 and he was all over me untill i hit 4th gear mines spose to be revo stage 2 running 253bhp and his just got air filter and exhaust is there something up with my car ive got a oversize tip , sports cat , jetex back system , forge front mount , 4 bar .i used to keep up with him in my mk4 agu 1.8t running 200bhp ish . do i need to get a better map on it or what fills a bit gutted :(

My mate has a ep3 also and it's hit and miss as to who has the legs, usually he starts to pull ahead once I'm mid 3rd gear due to him reving forever without shifting. Two very different cars in how the power is produced and there are a lot of factors to keep in mind such as road conditions, I noticed when I had traction control off I had more of a change due to no fighting of putting power down. There will always be a faster car out there so just enjoy what you've got and look after it.

Reactions: Dj magpie

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
Hi
The EP3 does have quite short ratio box with longer gearing in 4th upwards they do pull well up to about 80mph then our higher torque makes the Leon pull away more noticeably.
They are lighter too by almost 100 kgs. This is a huge advantage in the first 300 metres.

Im not sure who done the map , it used to be some ones on hear he said it made 264 on stage 1 then on a stage to it made 253 ?? I dont know what injectors its got ive just bought it

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
Hi

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
Screenshot_20190518-112512_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190518-112512_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190518-112512_Gallery.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 86

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Im not sure who done the map , it used to be some ones on hear he said it made 264 on stage 1 then on a stage to it made 253 ?? I dont know what injectors its got ive just bought it
If you want the most out of it, take it to bill at badger 5. That's who I'll be taking my big turbo build to.

Stage 2 custom tunee on a type R should be around 285hp and 300tq

Check out the guides here

http://r-techperformance.co.uk/1-8t-20v-tuning-info-golf-audi-seat-skoda/1-8t-stage-2-tuning-guide/

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
With those figures I’d check the turbo is original too?
Your way of calculating over 260 brake is bizarre.
You can’t jus add to 225 if the car makes 208. It’s 208.
Rr doesn’t have to be off.
I had similar when I mapped a refurbed turbo. Wouldn’t hold boost high up in the Rev range. so ended up with figures of 250 after mapping. Car was making 215 standard.
I can’t just add difference to 225 and say I got 260. That’s Silly.
Turned out to be a fake Chinese turbo sold as a recon original.
New turbo and bigger injectors and I’m up at 280+ and nr 300lbs.

Reactions: Leon20vt4

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Yeah, you're losing 13hp stock and 16hp at stage 1.

I'd give it a smoke test first of all and see if you have any leaks.

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
With those figures I’d check the turbo is original too?
Your way of calculating over 260 brake is bizarre.
You can’t jus add to 225 if the car makes 208. It’s 208.
Rr doesn’t have to be off.
I had similar when I mapped a refurbed turbo. Wouldn’t hold boost high up in the Rev range. so ended up with figures of 250 after mapping. Car was making 215 standard.
I can’t just add difference to 225 and say I got 260. That’s Silly.
Turned out to be a fake Chinese turbo sold as a recon original.
New turbo and bigger injectors and I’m up at 280+ and nr 300lbs.

Thats not what ive worked out that was what the original own had put up on hear

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Thats not what ive worked out that was what the original own had put up on hear

Ahh
Ok. Sorry thought that was yours.
Makes no sense at all.
As said above. Few tests to do and go to a respected mapper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
Ahh
Ok. Sorry thought that was yours.
Makes no sense at all.
As said above. Few tests to do and go to a respected mapper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah i couldent get my head round how he ad worked that out ,yeah thats what ill do thanks for your advise

Rhyswh

Sep 14, 2018
I think what the original owner meant was his made 208 on the rollers and after a stage 1 made 246, so the difference is 38bhp. If you compare this to a stock CupraR of 225bhp with an increase of 38bhp you get 263bhp which is about right for a stage 1 cupraR........I believe the point being the stage 1 map was good and provided the extra power a stage 1 should, just that the car was already down on power. Don't think he claims the car was 263bhp at all just a comparison to confirm the stage 1 increase.

So your car has actually gone from 208bhp stock => 246bhp stage 1 => 253bhp stage 2..........considering you're not getting stage 1 power at stage 2 I would say something isn't right.