1. Hi Guest. Booking is now open for our national meet on Sunday 14th July - all SEATs and CUPRAs welcome - we'd love to see you there. - Find out more here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

Is T- Cut similar to G3 Compound?

Discussion in 'Car Care and Detailing' started by taxiboy, Dec 24, 2016.

1. taxiboy

taxiboy Full Member

Is T- Cut similar to G3 Compound?

2. Rob66

Rob66 Full Member

Hi mate

Similarish. . What are you going to use it on?

3. dw911

dw911 Senior Member

G3 is much more aggressive than t cut

4. Rob66

Rob66 Full Member

:yes: Absolutely

5. taxiboy

taxiboy Full Member

If it's the same then I won't be using T CUT...I'm repairing scratches...so will touch up with brush, sand down and polish using (compound, then g3 then normal polish), then wax.......

6. taxiboy

taxiboy Full Member

I guess is G3 is more aggressive than t cut, how does t cut compare with normal polish like

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/meguiars-deep-crystal-car-polish-step-2-473ml?_$ja=kw:skimlinks_phg|tsid:40392&cm_mmc=**********-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-skimlinks_phg-_-TopLink

7. dw911

dw911 Senior Member

Normal polish would be very mild, will only take out very shallow scratches - like you could probably make with your finger nail- unless you spent ages rubbing the same spot or used a electric polishing mop.
    Think of it like sand paper, a very fine sandpaper will get you down to bare metal, but would take you a while ( normal polish) but a corse sand paper (g3 say) will get you to bare metal much quicker with less effort, so tcut would be like a fairly fine grit sandpaper.
    Obviously none of these are like sandpaper, but hopefully it gives you the idea of how abrasive these cutting compounds are or not depending on which you use, and there are lots of different ones.

Strangely though the lacquer on the Leon seems very hard (yemv) I tried removing some out of my old leon, even with g3 and a mop it took some doing, so you might find, depending how deep they are that you won't even dent then with normal polish or tcut, especially by hand

8. CRNeo

CRNeo Full Member

I'd look at Autoglym Paint Renovator or Poorboys SSR2 myself personally. I've used the latter quite a lot for removing light scratches/swirls usually using a DA polisher mind.

#8 CRNeo, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  9. Alexis27

Alexis27 Senior Member

T Cut is awful stuff. Use G3, or if you want to remove light scuffs without taking off most of the lacquer use something like Autofinesse Rejuvinate.

10. Snark

Snark Full Member

I always found G3 quite course for fine scuffs, its ok for flattening out a minor "bump" if you filled a scratch with a lacquer patch kit put on with a brush. If its only minor scratches you want to buff out or you want to finish up after taking out something deeper with a fine emmery wet polish (2000 or 3000 grit) then Farecla G10 is my favourite for that. Works fine in small areas by hand but a polishing wheel is much better for larger areas.

Cheers, Snark

#10 Snark, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  11. Seat20V

Seat20V Full Member

Hi,

T-Cut is a very old school product nowadays, so many great products on the market.

Farecla G3 is a good cutting compound.

Thanks