Is there something missing?

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
as title says is there something missing from these two holes? They seem to let dirt into the engine bay and I haven’t noticed them until now.
327B4D6B-0E6A-481E-B796-769FEFF59CD1.jpeg
0294E85A-628E-4014-91EE-3AEF28BA969B.jpeg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think a couple of rubber blanking grommets - well fitting them would stop road spray shooting out of them and ending up on the underside of the bonnet, 9mm seems to be the size required, I have yet to fit them to my daughter's Cupra, first ones bought are too dense/stiff, Halfords ones next, being kept warm/hot and so more compliant on top of the central heating boiler waiting for my daughter to visit when it is not raining!

Edit:- oh, wait a minute from your second picture there is another open hole that road spray is getting through as well, and so maybe another on the other side!

Another Edit:- changed "first" to "second"!

Last edited:

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I’ll give that a go mate thanks good idea. I wonder why it’s there?
I'd think a couple of rubber blanking grommets - well fitting them would stop road spray shooting out of them and ending up on the underside of the bonnet, 9mm seems to be the size required, I have yet to fit them to my daughter's Cupra, first ones bought are too dense/stiff, Halfords ones next, being kept warm/hot and so more compliant on top of the central heating boiler waiting for my daughter to visit when it is not raining!

Edit:- oh, wait a minute from your first picture there is another open hole that road spray is getting through as well, and so maybe another on the other side!

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Could it be that it is some sort of drain hole?
Given the position, it looks like the purpose would be for water to find it's way out of the wing.

One thing to do would be to look at the cousin cars and see what they have in that location, if anything.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Could it be that it is some sort of drain hole?
Given the position, it looks like the purpose would be for water to find it's way out of the wing.

One thing to do would be to look at the cousin cars and see what they have in that location, if anything.

it doesn’t look like a drain hole, just looks like random holes in the “bodywork” of the engine bay.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Can confirm both the VW golf GTI and R has these holes too in the same place... I have some rubber blanking grommets. Question is blank them out or leave it in the hope they are for something? Problem is it’s rusting and makes the engine filthy

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I took a quick look at Golf and Octavia engine bays and those seem to be there too.

My next guess is those are the mount points for the engine support lift when you need to chain the engine to do work on it.
It could well be. So technically no harm in covering them because if touch wood the engine did need to be lifted they could just remove them...

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
All sorted :) works well enough.

Attachments

• 911FD79D-09D8-4EAD-88EB-E863CF8A7603.jpeg
    911FD79D-09D8-4EAD-88EB-E863CF8A7603.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • DCA2A239-EBD3-4B66-AFE8-9A8E13754202.jpeg
    DCA2A239-EBD3-4B66-AFE8-9A8E13754202.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
Reactions: Norbert

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
One hole requires a 6mm grommet. Two ones either side of engine bay require 9mm.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Can confirm both the VW golf GTI and R has these holes too in the same place... I have some rubber blanking grommets. Question is blank them out or leave it in the hope they are for something? Problem is it’s rusting and makes the engine filthy

From my way of thinking, the body surface in that area is flat and has been made flat for some reason, I initially thought that there might be a body brace fitted to some cars, but maybe not. If they are drainage holes then the area around these 2 9mm holes would be dished/bowled to encourage any water gathering there to head for these two holes - and it isn't, also VW Group tend to fit rubber "nipples" to drain holes so that no road spray/dirt can get "blown" back up them.

Alignment holes or locating holes for workshop kit maybe - but if that was the case they should initially have plugs in them (after workshops use these locations grommets would no doubt get lost!). Maybe some markets get options that most European countries do not, so these holes get used - again our market cars should get them plugged as they are not needed.

My last logical reason for these holes would be in the initial assembly areas, to get used to locate bare bodies on frames for moving along the assembly lines?

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
From my way of thinking, the body surface in that area is flat and has been made flat for some reason, I initially thought that there might be a body brace fitted to some cars, but maybe not. If they are drainage holes then the area around these 2 9mm holes would be dished/bowled to encourage any water gathering there to head for these two holes - and it isn't, also VW Group tend to fit rubber "nipples" to drain holes so that no road spray/dirt can get "blown" back up them.

Alignment holes or locating holes for workshop kit maybe - but if that was the case they should initially have plugs in them (after workshops use these locations grommets would no doubt get lost!). Maybe some markets get options that most European countries do not, so these holes get used - again our market cars should get them plugged as they are not needed.

My last logical reason for these holes would be in the initial assembly areas, to get used to locate bare bodies on frames for moving along the assembly lines?

well I can confirm you need 2 x 9mm and 1 x 6mm. As for the purpose of said holes, who knows, there’s holes and slots everywhere under the engine/ on the underside of the bonnet etc so any guess would be as good as any. They’re not drain holes though pretty sure of that, they’re always bone dry and gritty which is all the dirt etc kicked up to them.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.