Issue with temperature gauge rising and AC not heating...

Ron.

Feb 11, 2017
Hi people. First post on here, hoping ye might offer some advice.

I bought a 2010 1.6 tdi ecomotive Leon a few months back, everything was running smooth until a few days ago. The temperature gauge started to rise suddenly when I was on the motorway. I only noticed it after the warning sound came on. I pulled over an looked at engine ( i know nothing about it tbf) Coolant was fine and engine wasn't overly hot. I had been driving for about 30 minutes

I switched off engine and fan was running for a few seconds before it stopped. I decided to head back towards home. It was fine for awhile until the gauge started to rise again. By dropping a gear, the gauge dropped so I got home ok..I think. The fan was running for about 10 seconds after the engine was switched off.

It's in the garage now. From reading previous threads here I understand the sensor and thermostat are common issues. The garage pointed out that the heating is very poor also when they tested it out. I kind of new that but didn't connect the two at the time.

The mechanic is genuine in terms of they haven't rushed to changing parts before they know whats wrong. They have pointed out that a few things this evening

He took it for a spin, not long enough for the temp gauge to start rising, but he said the pump is circulating water.
No faults are showing on the diagnostics
The fan is constantly running, slowly. Something they haven't seen before.
Also the front grill is closed on the car, he thought this might have been a mod that might cause an issue but that's factory fitted.

As I said, I thought it would be sensor and thermostat change from reading this site. If anyone here has any insight on this id be grateful.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.