1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

It ain't condensation this time?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk2 (2006-2012)' started by dannychapman10, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dannychapman10

dannychapman10 K04 Time ;)

After a 5 hour journey to Devon yesterday at 80ish, upon checking my oil this morning, the dipstick and filler cap are covered in creamy gunk?! Surely that isn't condensation after the journey yesterday? I assume this is related to my power loss/weird noises, possibly missing on one of the cylinders?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.634063,-3.519059

#1 dannychapman10, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. JonnyF

JonnyF Active Member

Sounds like the head gasket, are the coolant pipes very hard after you've had it out for a run?

3. cheungy

Any Pics?, I got gunk in mine but not too much - Due to short drives, and very cold temps...

4. BeezerDiesel

BeezerDiesel Minus a Diesel Beezer

If you're down this way Danny, do you want me to do a VCDS scan on the car or have you tried that?

5. dannychapman10

Beezer, I haven't yet mate. Where abouts in Devon are you?
    I've taken a pic but I need to upload it, it had it before I came here but thought it would of disappeared? Even worse now! Really thick stuff, Coolant hasn't dropped either?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.634083,-3.519137

6. BeezerDiesel

<<<<< Exeter

7. dannychapman10

8. dannychapman10

Ah yeah sorry mate bad haha,
    I'm just outside Exeter mate, it's going into smc in Newton abbot tomorrow mate so it's upto you if you're free today? I'm taking it down to them about 3ish today and picking up a loan car

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.634314,-3.519038

9. LeonES

LeonES Active Member

My mate has just had a very similar thing with his Audi TT, a scan revealed that cylinder 4 was mis-firing and gunk in the breather pipes and oil filler cap and the oil level had dramatically decreased in a very short space of time. Turned out to be a faulty coil pack, now it's running properly again all the gunge has cleared.

10. tonto

tonto Active Member

i wouldnt jump straight to head gasket issue, not with VAG cars anyway!

coilpacks, and breather pipes i would have checked first!

11. dannychapman10

Andy, my most sincere apologies! I was using the app on my phone and couldn't see your signature, totally forgot that user name was you :p

I've just taken the car to SMC for tomorrow's diagnosis, been given a little 1.4 Ibiza :)

Will see what the outcome is, I'd point to the coilpacks aswell, coming up Telegraph hill (which is very steep) there was a lot of hesitation? We shall see....

Andy, we should meet up this week if you're free?

12. tonto

tonto Active Member

telegraph and holden are *******ly steep!
    hopefully, its just a coilpack issue.

i get it alot with my FR, but i dont do big trips - at first i was very concerned!

13. BeezerDiesel

No worries Dan, I was trying to PM you, but my wireless has crashed out for most of the afternoon, to see if you were free before you dropped the car down to Newton Abbot. I'm away most of the week as it's half term and taking the kids down to Cornwall. I'll be around for part of Monday so will PM you tomorrow if I've got a spare couple of hours to see if you're free.

Fingers crossed it's just a quick fix for the Leon. I was thinking breather issues too, you'd notice if the head gasket was knackered, especially on a turbo car.

14. JonnyF

JonnyF Active Member

I had it on my last car and it ran perfectly fine on boost, it just blew coolant out and wasn't as far as the oil ways when the head was removed. It was just a gasket failure which is very rare on a zetec engine I'm told, the garage that I took it to said these rarely go I can't see it being that. He took it for a spin and came back and felt the coolant hoses and they were very hard which I already knew. Even if it is rare it can happen no matter what, that why I suggested feeling how hard the coolant hoses were.

15. dannychapman10

Ok Andy, no worries mate, give me a pm tomorrow as I don't have signal at my dad's and see what we can do. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and it's a coilpack or a hose, do the dealers carry these instock to save me having to wait? Could do with the car back tomorrow to crack on with my other bits.

Jonny, checked the hoses when I got there, they had gone soft and warm plus as I said, the coolant hadn't moved at all. Just hope it's a coilpack or something simple, I still don't think my diverter valve is working though!

16. Smee

mine is exactly like that make.

i have litrally just had my coil packs changed aswell. i just put it down to the silly cold conditions at the moment.

where is the oil breather pipe would like to get mine checked also :D

looks minimal mate i wouldnt worry. when was last service?

lee

17. dannychapman10

18. Smee

you sure that oil looks old and skanky to me!!

have you check if the coil packs have been done under the recall yet?

as mentioned check the breather pipe i have heard from other sources that this is prone on the 2.0 tfsi engine.

as for hesitation i would say sparks or coil packs. whats it like once its fully warmed up?

lee

19. dannychapman10

That's what they said mate, it's hard to tell from the picture because it's small.
    40k service is an oil change I believe?

Well the car is in the garage now ready for tomorrow, see what they find. I'm almost certain it's the coils or possibly spark plugs.
    Hesitation is still apparent when the car is fully upto temp.

20. Smee

i dunno havent got my book with me left it in the car. but i thought 40k was the big one. oil. brakes, sparks etc.

like i said try for the recall :) cheap and needs doing anyway