It Begins.......

bizaman

I am The BOFH
Feb 23, 2005
Satans Layby
bizaman.blogspot.com
Ok so i have had the cordy for a few months now and bar a tax disc she hasnt needed anything. Well this is begining to change! She has developed a rattle/noise/woosh that is cant quite describe or place. When accelerate hard or normal it sound like air rushing but creating a rattle at the same time. I thought at first it could be a heat sheild rattle of some sort. But i am not so sure. The idle is lumpy and on the way home from work having a "spirited" drive with an A3 came off a roundabout and nailed it in second at 4000 and it just didnt pull like it should. A faint smell of oil apeared so i slowed down and nursed her home. The oil smell has gone but teh power hasnt returned. To add to this she seems to be leaking power steering fluid and its creaking and whiring on occasion. Although this can be traced to a split steering arm boot (i think?) also i have a strong suspicion a CV joint is spitting its dummy as well!

Off to the garage this week to be looked at but anyone got any ideas?

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
hello mate dam thats some list heres what i think i may be wrong tho,the noise/woosh could be a an iduction pipe come loose and could be the reason your losing power if its getting in or excaping in the wrong place,oil smell could be oi vavle steem seals are worn,and he creaking could be that the spring has come out of place,mine dose it when driving along and go over a bump!hope this helps i maybe worng tho,good luck getting it sorted!let us know how you get on!

DanH

Its fairly common for the idle to be a little lumpy check the breathers and the cold start breather... same with creaks and rattles..and same with oil smells!! Check the sump... sump plug...cracked dipstick often happens that can spit oil onto the block etc. To check its the stem seals have a look in the mirror after going downhill off the gas..then blip it and watch for dreaded blue smoke. Check the oil filter seal. Especially after ragging it. Lower power... check or change fuel filter check the mixture...fuel system as a whole.

Check the air box for the whoosh... the rubbber mounts can come off easy and the box but they can be rattly anyway our cords... and lastly remember good old n/a wont pull well in hotter weather!

Where is it leaking pwer steering fluid from? The reservoir?

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
if its beeping id check your oil level!it will be low and you could be loseing oil presure whitch is not good!

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
i agree clean out the throttle body with some carb cleaner my old ibiza 2.0 8v used to smell of oil when i turned on the blowers and used to just cut out, when i cleaned the throttle bodie it sprank back to life and the rattleing could be the plastic bit in front of the windscreen where your wipers sit my ibiza used to rattle there as well

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members