It never rains....

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
nice one rob, Im starting to think that dogbone bushes will be my second mod after i get my arse into gear and get down to skoda for a rear wiper ;)

I'm quite impressed so far, I have to admit. They have made the car vibrate more at low revs when pulling away, but I believe this is fairly normal and they will settle fairly soon? It's great when pulling away fast though... these combined with the new tyres mean I get MUCH less wheel spin and wheel hop. It feels much more connected and you can tell it's getting the power down easier :D

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
They will settle, but I wouldn't say soon, I'd say "eventually".

I found they helped with the turn in as well.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I'm quite impressed so far, I have to admit. They have made the car vibrate more at low revs when pulling away, but I believe this is fairly normal and they will settle fairly soon? It's great when pulling away fast though... these combined with the new tyres mean I get MUCH less wheel spin and wheel hop. It feels much more connected and you can tell it's getting the power down easier :D

Dogbone bushes are so worth doing. I've never really noticed the vibration - you get used to it I think. I hope you're being kind to those new tyres for the first few miles, Rob. :) Do the pads bite straight away or are they blancmange until they settle in?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Dogbone bushes are so worth doing. I've never really noticed the vibration - you get used to it I think. I hope you're being kind to those new tyres for the first few miles, Rob. :) Do the pads bite straight away or are they blancmange until they settle in?

The pads don't feel quite there yet, you can tell they need to be bedded in a bit. But... when some plank pulled out in front of me on the way home and I had to stamp on the brakes, they certainly stopped quick enough! So in their current state I have confidence in them, but know there is more to come! And yes, I'm being careful with the tyres. They've covered a couple of hundred miles already and are gripping up nicely now :)

is it worth doing the mounts or are bushes alone good enough? i dont know much about it.....

I've just got the bushes. The entire mounts are more expensive and I can't see how they are going to be any better? They will still be the same size and shape and still made of a similar, if not the same, metal. And they will have uprated bushes in them too, so will end up being the same as just replacing the bushes alone. Seems a bit of a waste of money to me, but I'm sure somebody out there can justify their existence......?

Kermit

JKM also said I'll need to replace my offside wishbone bush sometime soon, but they didn't have the parts in stock to do there and then, so I'll take it back down later.

I must have had the last two! ;)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I think powerflex do poly replacements - I'd look into that (although it would mean doing both sides)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've heard nothing but bad things about those poly replacements though Feel. From what I've read - including comments on this forum - the increased noise, vibrations and harshness spoils the car. Great for handling but not so much for a daily driver.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.