Its not an injection damnit!!!!!!

sickpupppy

lmao@ my typo'd user name
Jul 8, 2009
carlisle, the frozen north
hi guys,
i mentioned on my first post here a little poser i have been handed by my insurance company and also the dvla.

when purchasing my 1997 1.4 met green ibiza sxe, i checked under the bonnet and thought hmmm a carb, (sorry for shortening the name but i cant remember how to spell the full name!)
where was i?

oh yes... a carb, should be pretty good with a little tlc and correct setting up, this here could upset one or two little boys in thier saxo's lol.
however after returning home and confirming all the new details with my insurance company i fond that on paper my car has an injection system. i am a little confused as it has a dirty great frying pan shaped air filter, sitting on top of what i assumed was a carb, could this be a single point injector beneath there??? or does everyone in the know actually have it wrong for a change, making me right?

ideas on a piece of roadkill please

(or just below would do nicely)

thanks
Dan

sickpupppy

Jul 8, 2009
ahhhhh,
just two quick further questions though....
why the daft air filter istead of a nice neat one you can get funky pipercross or whatever kits for??? :S
and is it possible to change the air feed to a later one keeping the inlet as standard? (just the plastic bits)
doesnt seem to make sense to me..

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
19ulbo.jpg

Or,
you could just take off the frying pan and clamp it directly to the top of the carb, but it will soak the heat from the engine there
:D

sickpupppy

Jul 8, 2009
cool, thanks guys.

i changed exhaust recently also, one of the factors other than the "frying pan" that was swaying me was the rich mixture smell now emitting from the exhaust, shouldnt the ecu alter the mixture on its own to prevent running rich, or do i need to have this set up?
also what parts will i need to convert to a setup similar to yours Brummy?
pic shows just what i am thinking of in the way of a transplant

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
dont think its brummys cold air feed mate. basically you need an air filter, K&N green cotton ect, and then some ducting to where your airbox currently is. and if your keen some more ducting from somewhere like the fog light cut outs to "feed" the filter. isnt going to be any better than the frying pan but might give you abit of noise.

the only way to check how its running in terms of mixture is go to a back street garage and stick a probe up the exhaust. its all ECU controlled you shouldnt have to set anything up that i know of, basic service might help

sickpupppy

Jul 8, 2009
ahhh cheers dollygti,
i am planning a full oil flush and change in the morning (weather permitting) so that could possibly make her a bit better. only just put my thermostat back in today after it failed and boiled the system over about a fourtnight ago so that could have been an underlying factor too i think, i am probably wrong but wth thats why i joined here so the guys who know could correct me lol.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
WAS my old Redshed 1.4 Dolly :D

I simply removed the original filter from the frying pan.. the black hose you see was push fitted firmly and then Jubilee clipped to the existing air intake (which is crap , its still sucks in hot air ) andplaced theK&N just behind the drivers light.. I then fed the (silver) heating piping down to the lower grill (cable tied din various places) to enable enough cold air to circulate the filter.. finished off with a sheet of ally bent/fettled into shape and fixed to keep heat away from the filter.

worked fine ,gave a rorty little sound too which was a bit of a bonus on a 1.4 and even was a selling point to the young lady that bought the car off me
:D

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Could be either on a 1997 if its early 97 it could well still be single point as i looked at one, but went for a later early 98 multi point in the end.

Not a huge amount of difference as i owned both single and multi point in the end however the multi has better top end grunt. ( when i say better its like having a very small breeze push you ever so slightly)

sickpupppy

Jul 8, 2009
hi again guys, took a few days to find time to get near my lil beeza again. however i have had a further look and it is in fact as correctly pointed out a multi point system! yay!!!!
still smells a little rich at the rear though, however garage assured me it is not a prob unless engine management light pops up.

thanks again for your comments guys