I've been redirected here from the New Toledo section....

Alanovich

I've been advised by another member to post this, which I previously posted on the New Toledo section, on here as the Toledo and Altea are much of a muchness, so here goes: :whistle:

I've decided to buy a a second hand new shape Toledo, to replace my Ibiza 1.2. I'm going for a 1.6 to save a few grand as I won't use it on motorways much (got a TDi Touran for that) and it'll mostly be used on local trips so the economy of a diesel isn't going to outweigh the price difference for me. I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what I should look out for on Toledos when viewing and test driving, and if there are any questions I really need to be asking the dealer, like if any recalls have been completed, or if there are any model specific problems on a particular car I'm looking at?

Thanks for any advice!
Steve

mediaman111166

Toledo/Altea problems

Hi, I have a Toledo 2.0 tdi Sport, which has had the following faults in 18months problems:blink::confused:

Off road for 54 days!!!!
2 doors resprayed and rear wing due to poor paint finish
New Turbocharger
2 new cruise stalks (common failure)
new rear fog light
new interior self dip mirror
new stereo (common fault-turns on on its own)
New DMF (recall for 2.0tdi manual)
5 lots of dash rattles (common fault)
battery discharging for 6 months stranding me on numerous occasions (electrical fault eventually sorted - ignition switch - after 3 weeks at dealer)
Vibration on gear changing 2k revs (new ECU update cured it)

The car is now running correctly, at last:rolleyes:
MPG is poor 36-39 mpg, prob due to 85mph Mway journey and 17" alloys?

Hope this helps as I appear to have had more than my fair share of problems!!!

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Alanovich - one of my personal gripes with my 2.0tdi is a lack of mechanical refinement of the engine, it can be quite grating, despite what i said earlier, the 1.6 petrol is much more refined, cheaper and i'd imagine reasonably economical, i'd say you'd be pleased with it.

Alanovich

Alanovich - one of my personal gripes with my 2.0tdi is a lack of mechanical refinement of the engine, it can be quite grating, despite what i said earlier, the 1.6 petrol is much more refined, cheaper and i'd imagine reasonably economical, i'd say you'd be pleased with it.

Thanks Phil, that's kind of what I was guessing to be the case. I'm only going to be using the car on cross town commutes, so no real need for much oomph, I'll use my Touran TDi for long journeys. Considering I'll only be doing about 6000 miles a year in it, I can't finacially justify the extra outlay for a diesel. I'm off to look at a few this afternoon, found a nice looking low miles 1.6 in tinta for 7.5k at a SEAT dealer, sounds like a decent deal.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I picked up my Toledo for £8k with 7.5k on the clock at 1yr old. it is a 1.9Tdi, if you can look out for a deal like this, dealer was doing the offer, it would save you money on the economy and still roughly same price as the 1.6 with more 'oomph'.

nickfrog

We have been running a 1.6 Altea for 3 years as a school run / family car. I would not have chosen that engine as a 20,000 miles/year motorway cruiser but for our purpose it has proven ideal : very silent, smooth and refined engine for town use. Very short gearing that makes it perfect for town use. Decent economy, 32 mpg. At the time, the equivalent diesel 1.9 was £1,500 more (the car was 6 months old then, paid £11,000 then in Dec 04). I reckon that even with the slighter worse depreciation in % terms, the 1.6 has not proven more expensive to run but a lot more refined for the intended purpose .

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.