I've sheared my nipple off

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Decided to bleed my brakes today. Bought an Eezibleed and 500ml dot4 fluid. Bled the rear brakes and went onto the front. The nearside was really stiff, so I scraped around it to free it up, still wouldn't budge.[:@]

I knew I shouldn't have, but I got my trusty torque wrench out and gave the nipple a little twist. It didn't like that and broke off. :cry:

I've tried to loosen it with molegrips but no luck - any ideas?

Can you buy a single brake caliper nipple from VAG and if so, does it come with a dust cap?

BTW, the brakes didn't feel much different after all that, and the clutch was the same.:blink:

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Thanks for that, I'll get one ordered. Yes, its the nearside front that broke.

Any idea on how to get the broken one out? I saw something called deep freeze or something similar in the motor factors earlier today. It's meant to free up bolts etc. The nipple broke off just below the nut, so most of the thread is still there. I don't have access to machining etc and don't want to take the caliper off.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Re the dustcap, just as I took it off I dropped it. For the life of me I couldn't find the bloody thing - had the engine tray off as well - no joy. I put the spare cap from the broken nipple on it for now.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Thanks again! when I change the nipple, am I alright clamping the fluid hose with a mole grip or similar? I've heard people do this, but I'd be worried about damaging the hose.

Last edited:

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Thanks again! when I change the nipple, am I alright clamping the fluid hose with a mole grip or similar? I've heard people do this, but I'd be worried about damaging the hose.

be careful when clamping hoses as its easy to split them. if using mole grips then put something smooth between the jaw and the hose and do not clamp it tight. for example some soft wood then clamp the grips on loose, then wind the screw at the bottom until it starts to squash the hose.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I use MIG welder to get broken nipples like that out.. small blobs on the broken part until after 8-10 spots you have a big blob.. let it cool past red hot and then use molegrips to undo. It will break the first 3-4 times but it will come.

No need then to take hose off or clamp hose. TBH it is likely to damage hose so I just don't do it.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
I use MIG welder to get broken nipples like that out.. small blobs on the broken part until after 8-10 spots you have a big blob.. let it cool past red hot and then use molegrips to undo. It will break the first 3-4 times but it will come.

No need then to take hose off or clamp hose. TBH it is likely to damage hose so I just don't do it.

Lippo said he dont have that sort of equipemnt:lol:

you can buy hose clamps aswell

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I've not had a mig welder for a few years (since I made my old mini into a trailer). I'm looking at Comma's Frost Bite and a better pair of mole grips. I've got a g-clamp(?) which I might use to clamp the hose.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
I've not had a mig welder for a few years (since I made my old mini into a trailer). I'm looking at Comma's Frost Bite and a better pair of mole grips. I've got a g-clamp(?) which I might use to clamp the hose.

:ban: you butchered a mini into a trailer!!!![:@]

u could try using a chisel/punch and hammer to tap the last of the nipple round

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
:ban: you butchered a mini into a trailer!!!![:@]

Yeah, it was a cracking job as well, even if I say so myself... I took it to loads of Mini shows including the 40th @ Silverstone in '99. The missus had a mini as well, and mine was only going to be scrapped (A-reg green Mayfair), so I put it to good use.

I gave it away about 8 years ago!!:blink: Wish I'd kept it.:doh:

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Yeah, it was a cracking job as well, even if I say so myself... I took it to loads of Mini shows including the 40th @ Silverstone in '99. The missus had a mini as well, and mine was only going to be scrapped (A-reg green Mayfair), so I put it to good use.

I gave it away about 8 years ago!!:blink: Wish I'd kept it.:doh:

was it the classis lop the front off so it was a half mini trailer??

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
was it the classis lop the front off so it was a half mini trailer??

Yep, took the top off and cut just behind the B pillar. Welded a sheet of metal across the front and re-inforced it. Made my own tonneau as well.

Found a piccy of before I'd finished it;

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Haha, I never got so much attention!! I had a crowd around it when I turned up at meets. Obviously it was the same colour as the missus' car (which had a 1380cc engine, stage 3 head with Omega v-wedge pistons, cam belt drive and carbon fibre push rods - those were the days).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.