I've tried to like them, but i can't

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Dropped in to my local Dealer today for a nose around the new Leon with the FR TDI 170 in mind.
I walked around and around one, but couldn't get a glimer of enjoyment from it even with the Aero kit on (which looks 10 times better than stock IMO) :shrug:
I was really hoping that seeing them a bit more would give my taste a nudge, but sadly it hasn't, so i went down the road to look at the Octavia vRS instead:drool:
I know there are alot of owners on here who obviously like them (sorry if i have caused offence) so i'm hoping some of you can persuade me a little?
I really WANT to like them, but struggling somewhat.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
did you actually drive it??? i'd say its streets ahead in handling terms than the Mk1, but so is the Octavia. I had a hard desicion deciding between the two. But the Octavia was just a bit too big for little ol' me.

Last edited:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
did you actually drive it??? i'd say its streets ahead in handling terms than the Mk1, but so is the Octavia. I had a hard desicion deciding between the two. But the Octavia was just a bit too big for little ol' me.

Not driven one yet as they didn't have a demo one available.
But even if i like the way they drive, i'd have to like the looks of it too in order to want it enough to pay for one. My biggest gripe with it is the interior if i'm honest...

beachboy

Mar 28, 2004
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but at least give the Leon a chance to impress you (or otherwise).
Try a Leon FR tdi or preferably a petrol DSG and then the Octavia etc. and then make your mind up. I can assure you that you will not be taking a lot of time admiring any car's dash whilst you have got your foot down blitzing down a winding B-road. The Leon FR petrol is about £4000!! cheaper than an equivalent Golf Gti so the difference has to show somewhere, but fortunately not in the important mechanical bits of the engine, gearbox and suspension.

I am amazed at the number of people who have several thousand pounds burning a hole in their pockets who make a buying decision based upon looks, a motoring journo's review or an apparently superior 0 to 60 time of 0.2 of a second.

IF you can get the info, look at real world in-gear acceleration times (say 40 to 60 mph or 50 to 70 mph in 3rd gear, not 5th or 6th as stupidly supplied in the motoring comics) when you are trying to overtake a dawdler on a very short straight.

0 to 60 mph times are pretty meaningless in the real world. For example the R32 has excellent 0 to 60 times (lots of traction especially in the wet) but once on the move give me a Leon FR/Cupra/Golf Gti any day.

You pay your money and you take your choice, so please make your choice a personally informed one.

All the best.

techno

Sep 15, 2007
Cannock Staffs
Had my TDI FR for 10 months now and can't say anymore except I LOVE IT :D

Give one a try i think you'll be suprised at how good they are

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but at least give the Leon a chance to impress you (or otherwise).
Try a Leon FR tdi or preferably a petrol DSG and then the Octavia etc. and then make your mind up. I can assure you that you will not be taking a lot of time admiring any car's dash whilst you have got your foot down blitzing down a winding B-road. The Leon FR petrol is about £4000!! cheaper than an equivalent Golf Gti so the difference has to show somewhere, but fortunately not in the important mechanical bits of the engine, gearbox and suspension.

I am amazed at the number of people who have several thousand pounds burning a hole in their pockets who make a buying decision based upon looks, a motoring journo's review or an apparently superior 0 to 60 time of 0.2 of a second.

IF you can get the info, look at real world in-gear acceleration times (say 40 to 60 mph or 50 to 70 mph in 3rd gear, not 5th or 6th as stupidly supplied in the motoring comics) when you are trying to overtake a dawdler on a very short straight.

0 to 60 mph times are pretty meaningless in the real world. For example the R32 has excellent 0 to 60 times (lots of traction especially in the wet) but once on the move give me a Leon FR/Cupra/Golf Gti any day.

You pay your money and you take your choice, so please make your choice a personally informed one.

All the best.

Thanks for your feedback.
I am willing to take one for a drive and see for myself, but if i can't look out the living room window and admire it, then i can't part with my money no matter how well it drives.
I still own the MK1 FR TDI and i love it. 100% reliable, great looking and goes like stink! 0-60 times don't make or break a deal for me, so don't worry about figures putting me off. They won't.
I should have mentioned that i won't even contemplate a petrol car. I do 2000 miles per month and IMO nothing beats the grunt of a tourquey Derv:D

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
i dont like the aero kit i like more the FR and CUPRA kit

white yellow black looks hot i can sit in front of my FR for hour and watch it and i love the lines the curves the only thing i hate is the hanibal lecter front grill

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
The thing is, the Octavia is about the same price, but I think its got a nicer interior. So its probably quite an easy choice you you mate, plus you cant go too wrong with the stlying on the Octy, its a nice car :)

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I'm more and more tempted by the Octy, plus the Boss (G/F) prefers the octy in either hatch or estate, so i can't go wrong there.
Cheers for your suggestions and pointers guys. I think my next trip to a dealers will be for a skoda.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I agree with you completely Dave. I loved my Cupra R and would likely have traded it in against a MKII Leon had the styling been more to my taste.

Would the residual value of the Octavia not be a concern?

TallFella

Hello Tom, come down Tom
Nov 6, 2003
Bedfordshiria
Visit site
With you on this one Dave. I really wanted to like it, but got behind the wheel of one and thought "oh" rather than "wow"!

For me the interior is more than just a cosmetic thing. Massive A-pillars, heavily raked windscreen and a low down rear view mirror mean that my field of vision is practically reduced to about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

Everything just felt really "plasticky" and a bit far-eastern. I don't know about you, but if I spend a decent amount of time in a place, I like that place to be a nice place to be. Sorry, but in my opinion that isn't behind the wheel of a Mk2.

You can talk all you want about it being a really good drive - if that's what you like. However, Jade Goody might be the sh@g of a lifetime, but I still wouldn't choose her over Kirsty Gallagher!

Nyteshade

Is it dark yet?
Feb 1, 2005
Satan's Layby
With you on this one Dave. I really wanted to like it, but got behind the wheel of one and thought "oh" rather than "wow"!

For me the interior is more than just a cosmetic thing. Massive A-pillars, heavily raked windscreen and a low down rear view mirror mean that my field of vision is practically reduced to about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

Everything just felt really "plasticky" and a bit far-eastern. I don't know about you, but if I spend a decent amount of time in a place, I like that place to be a nice place to be. Sorry, but in my opinion that isn't behind the wheel of a Mk2.

You can talk all you want about it being a really good drive - if that's what you like. However, Jade Goody might be the sh@g of a lifetime, but I still wouldn't choose her over Kirsty Gallagher!

You have definately hit the nail on the head there with regards to the vision issue..

Being female and spatial awareness being something that I have to constantly work on, also not being the tallest person in the world, I found when sitting in the cabin that I really couldn't see much at all... this is obviously not good when it comes to all those supermarket car parks!

The Jade Goody analagy is all very well and good, but frankly I wouldn't test drive either. ;)

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
i had my issues with, the vision for a time until i found the perfect position now i love my car... now i have to see how i solve the issue of lack of space inside the car to put objects

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
You do similar miles to me. Unless they're all twisties you wont be keen imo. Motorway miles aren't going to get you raving about the handling.

You will find it sluggish, different delivery.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Seems i'm not alone in my opinion of it's looks.
The residual on the Octy doesn't put me off really. All cars lose value, so unless i get another MK1 FR+ TDI (only car i know to hold it's value this well and within my budget) i'm going to lose money anyway.
The journey i do is early morning (6.30am) and mainly B roads. The way i look at it, i didn't buy a fun car to drive to just sit at motorway speeds in a straight line.
I prefer to drive twisty, hilly roads so it has to be a good handling car, or at least easily fixable with ARB's and some Strut Braces.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
If you prefer the Octavia then go for that. Personal choice at the end of the day and the Octavia is supposed to be an excellent car. (not driven one so can't speak for myself).

I just don't like the look of the Octavia personally, and the Mrs doesn't understand that Skoda's are really good cars...

My mate had an old style VRS and another bloke has a standard Fabia and they both rate them highly.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
got to agree with the vision aspect too, iam not small nor tall but sometimes reversing is a pain, but for me the only thing i dont like is the diesel:shrug: i will get shot for it but i need more power, i should have went with my heart rather than my head and bought a TFSi(know you dont want a petrol) the pillars are sometimes a pain when going round a roundabout too.
The plastics are sadly blunting all modern vags, the prev head of VW group was moved as he took the blame for the jap plastic looks.I have just bought an ED30 and the door plastics are bad there too.you cant win!if your happy with your MK1 stay put.wait and see what 2008 brings.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Cheers guys, all input is much appreciated.
The A pillars were an issue on a 307 i used to own, so although i got used to it (eventually) it was a hindrance at times. Especially when it was snowing or the windscreen was dirty as the wipers swept from the middle out, and that made the view even more restricted.
I'm not in any rush to get a new car (might be next week, might be next year) but i'm trying to find out as much as possible before i commit. The deal has to be too good to miss for me to swap mine in a hurry.