J0N's (Jonnyjonjon's) LCR. Gone But Not Forgotten.

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Congrats on the sale jon. It's new home is not too far from me so I might see it about at some point.

If you'd had the parts for sale a few weeks earlier I would have had a few bits of you, unfortunately I don't need any of them now.

J0N

Defected!
Congrats on the sale jon. It's new home is not too far from me so I might see it about at some point.

If you'd had the parts for sale a few weeks earlier I would have had a few bits of you, unfortunately I don't need any of them now.

You'll have to give me a shout if you see the car Mash. I wanted to hang on to the bits until the car had actually gone, you never know!

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for the strut-brace Jon, and was good to see you tonight too. Could've done with having it fitted on the way home: Got to the J29 island, powering off back on to the A617 I got serious understeer, heading straight toward the kerb, so I backed off and the back end came round, so I got back on the power and got out of it. Fun, but a slight brown-pants moment :lol:

Enjoyed showing that Mk8 Civic Type R that just because he's got an R in the cars name, that it's still not a Cupra R. He had the run on me coming on to the dual carriageway but he was totally destroyed by LCR power :D I'd have loved to have seen the look on his face. That 12bhp deficit was more than clear to see.

Anyway, thanks again mate, and remember, if you fancy going to any shows as a passenger (or maybe as the drived ;)) give me a shout.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Jon, I meant to ask you, what do I need to do to affix it? You mentioned some specific bolts in PM? I was going to ask you about them last night but forgot. Cheers mate

J0N

Defected!
Sorry Mate, I knew I'd forgotten something. I used 8mm Riv-Nuts with Stainless Bolts and washers. I've got four left over from when I fitted mine but obviously you need six. PM me your address and I'll send you what I've got. Also, have a look at this post I added to a strut brace thread a while ago. Clicky.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Cheers man. Don't worry about sending anything over; I need to buy a couple anyway so I'd might as well buy a few more.

So, I need to drill 11mm holes, use M8 riv-nuts, stainless normal and spring washers (what size?) and M8 stainless bolts?

J0N

Defected!
You need 6 off M8 Riv-Nuts, 6 off M8x35mm Stainless Bolts threaded all the way down, 6 off Stainless Flat/Plain Washers and 6 off Stainless Spring Washers.

DSC01857.jpg

For M8 Riv-Nuts to fit nice you'll need an 11mm Drill Bit but you'll want to drill a smaller 'pilot' hole first. The metal you'll be drilling through is quite thick for a hand held drilling machine so you want good quality drill bits, buy new ones if you have to because those you got out of a Christmas cracker wont be up to the job. Once you've drilled your holes the riv-nuts should easily fit into them with a bit of a tap. Put the strut brace in place and tighten the bolts, these should pull the riv-nuts upto the strut brace and squash them into place. Job done, (he says).

J0N

Defected!
Simple but scary sums it right up. Just make sure the holes are in the right place, use a centre punch, check them, check them again and again because you only get one chance when using this method. Just remember that it's not cheese that you're drilling into so use good tools but I'm sure you'll be fine.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I'll definitely buy some new bits. Mine are a 20+ year old set that my Dad gave me and I haven't sharpened them in years. I don't even have the gear myself, so a brand new pair of bits would make sense.

Thanks again dude

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
Great thread and JON your LCR was truly stunning. Due to get my first LCR in the next month or so, gonna be using this thread for some big inspiration :)

J0N

Defected!
/no chance of seeing RIPSPEED on my car! Sparcos cool with me but noooooo way to RS. :p

what sot of cutting did you have to do?

The Ripspeed Ones are EXACTLY the same as the Sparco ones only about a fiver cheaper so makes no difference at all if you don't put the stickers on, I would'nt want the Sparco stickers on either tbh, it's not a Subaru.

what you driving now then JON?

I've got a 54 Reg BMW 318Ci M Sport and I love it. It's a totally different car from the LCR and really should'nt be compared to it as it's good for completely different reasons. It's nothing like as fast but it returns around 35mpg on my daily commute which was the deciding factor when I sold the LEON as some months I was spending upto £300 on V-Power. With the M-Sport package it handles brilliantly and feels really sure footed with LSD, front and rear ARBs and Continental Conti Sport 3's all round with 225's up front and 245's on the rear (staggered). With the full leather and all of the creature comforts it's a really nice place to sit too and fortunatly came with lots of optional extras. I miss the rear wiper on cold mornings though, lol. I'm surprised if my LCR has'nt turned up on SCN yet as I told the kid who bought it all about the site and I left the stickers in. I go on Bimmerforums.co.uk now but it does'nt feel like home like SCN does and modding scene is'nt as big but it's still a laugh with plenty of knowledge. Anyway, pics...........

DSC02115.jpg

DSC02086.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

DSC01993.jpg

DSC02085.jpg

DSC01877.jpg

DSC02124.jpg

Jon.