jack through side of car :(

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
Hi guys,
thought id make the most of the nice weather and paint the callipers, so i used my jack from the car on on side of the car and my trolley jack on the other side and unfortunately the trolley jack slipped therefore causing the hole car to twist and the jack from car went into the other side of the car causing a large dent and 2 large gashes :mad:
i was planning on fitting the side skirts to the car do you think that they will cover the damage?
or can it be repaired?
thanks for any help
Cal
DSC01973.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01972.jpg
[/IMG]

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I feel for you mate.

I have just had similar damage on mine repaired (cost me £500). The only differance I already had the skirt fitted. The skirt wont hide the dent fully because it looks like the top edge of the sill has pushed in and up. The dent will need to be pulled out.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
A similar thing happened to mine, the jack slipped and pressed against the sill but not quite as bad as yours. I would imagine it could be pulled out a bit but they would have to weld rods to the metal so requiring some grind through the paint. Alternative would be just to fill and repaint, not sure if sideskirts would cover it (not seen how high they go)

Doubt there would be any problems with mot. It would have to be much worse and/or punctured the sill

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
ive compared the photo with a photo of a car with skirts on and it doesnt look like skirts will cover but i could get the dent pulled out then fit the skirts with out getting the damaged paint re sprayed as it would be covered?

Elmo85

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire
Bludy hell. Thats bad luck. You must have been so annoyed when you did that.

I personally say fit some skirts, Should cover it up no problem. I think skirts would be right over the top of that.

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
Bludy hell. Thats bad luck. You must have been so annoyed when you did that.

I personally say fit some skirts, Should cover it up no problem. I think skirts would be right over the top of that.

do you not think there would be a cap between the skirt as of where the dent is positioned?

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I would say because of the straight edge of the skirt it will show the raise in the sill at the top of the dent.

I think you jacked in the wrong part... just for future occurances. Should make contact with the car about 4inches inwards of the bodywork (the painted bit) level with the triangle indent. No way it can slip from that position.

The skirt will cover the dent but no the top line it looks like its got a slight mound now in the pics...

Might be able to have it rubber malleted flatter and the dent could be crudely hammered out a bit so when you fit the skirt there is more surface to mount adhesive to...

Feel for you mate, its a sickening feeling.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
One thing to note if you do have it sprayed at a body shop watch out for overspray on the opposite side of the. my rear wheel and the bottom of the doors were covered (black wheel white over spray [:@]). Their reason was beause the aextract sucked the spray under the car and up.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Was going to get a letter from the doctor with my lady, (had a phone call at 8:15 in the morning and was imagining the worst) so my head was a bit battered and I did not realise that there was a very low wall still next to the car where I reversed to turn around off a carpark and has I pulled forward CRUNCH.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Oh dear that does not look good at all a car can fall off a Jack my MK1 Leon Cupra came off the jack when changing a wheel and landed on the rear disc thankfully no damage done.

I hope it is all cosmetic and the chassis has not been twisted by the fall :cry:

Worthwhile getting it checked out at a body shop as the sill does look slightly pushed up and may need a new section welding in to repair the damage.

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
I'd be tempted to get some bodywork filler and build it up to cover the dent and respray and lacquer. It doesn't have to look that good due to the skirts. The main issue is how much of a bulge there is on the top?
Gutted for you mate, it's horrible when a nice car gets damaged.

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
I'd be tempted to get some bodywork filler and build it up to cover the dent and respray and lacquer. It doesn't have to look that good due to the skirts. The main issue is how much of a bulge there is on the top?
Gutted for you mate, it's horrible when a nice car gets damaged.

i need to have a better look tomorrow as ive been looking at the picture more and the bulge looks big on the photos so will get a look at the car when i get back from work tomorrow

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.