James' LCR - 2008cc Stroker HTA GT3071r! - Tuned @ Badger5

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
The main way the wavetrack works better over the quaiffe/peloquin type is when one of the front wheels isn't making contact with the floor (ie one wheel has no load at all) the wavetrack will still throw the drive accross to the wheel that has the grip, the other two won't. But how often is this going to happen on the road. Either way they are am awesome mod!

This is true, going to get a quote for a quiafe and peloquin as well but would really like to give the wavetrac ago, depends how big the difference is in £££

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
I ended up going Peloquin. This was because they supply all the correct ARP bolts, correct gaskets etc and the diff as a complete kit and wavetrack didnt seem to do a direct fit for my gearbox haha i'd also read that even though peloquin are U.S based, their after market service is miles better than quaiffe, which is kinda worrying!

I know my mate (Paul Murpheys on here) has the wavetrack in his LCR and loves it!

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
HELP!

I'm in desperate need of someone who has got a scrap 1.8t head with cam caps, my engine is nearly finished but my cam cap at the cam pulley end (the double one) has gone missing and need to find one ASAP to try and get it line re-machined for the head! Help please?

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
HELP!

I'm in desperate need of someone who has got a scrap 1.8t head with cam caps, my engine is nearly finished but my cam cap at the cam pulley end (the double one) has gone missing and need to find one ASAP to try and get it line re-machined for the head! Help please?

I should have one mate on my original AUQ head, but i won't be back home till Friday - if thats any use bud just let me know.

Is it the engine builders that have lost it ????:cry:

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
I should have one mate on my original AUQ head, but i won't be back home till Friday - if thats any use bud just let me know.

Is it the engine builders that have lost it ????:cry:

Mate that would be amazing, I'm going to try and find one sooner if that's ok but if I can't I will sort something out with you.

I highly doubt the engine builder would have lost it, but the head has already had a mountain of hours gas flowing it and its more economical time wise to machine the caps again than to gas flow a whole new head. He has offered to machine the caps for free (which costs him as it's outsourced) as he said it was his obligation to check everything was there before he started which I think is VERY reasonable of him?

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Mate that would be amazing, I'm going to try and find one sooner if that's ok but if I can't I will sort something out with you.

I highly doubt the engine builder would have lost it, but the head has already had a mountain of hours gas flowing it and its more economical time wise to machine the caps again than to gas flow a whole new head. He has offered to machine the caps for free (which costs him as it's outsourced) as he said it was his obligation to check everything was there before he started which I think is VERY reasonable of him?

Thats fine mate, like i say just drop me a pm on friday if you still need it and i will send it to you :D

Like you say thats very reasonable of him to sort that out.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Cylinder Head Photos & Build

Had a long chat with my engine builder last night and he was kind enough to send me some build photo's of the cylinder head work that he has been doing over the past fornight.

The cylinder head started life as a ADR largeport 1.8 N/A unit which had obviously been using longlife servicing as the head was in a bit of a state and it looked like it had been painted inside with gloss black paint :D
de3f39b8.jpg

Cams removed to show the gloss finish :p
8d459300.jpg

The head was then thoroughly cleaned, stripped and blasted so the mammoth task of porting and polishing could begin,
photo1.jpg

2012-01-11155022.jpg

2012-01-11155355.jpg

2012-01-11160351.jpg

2012-01-11160448.jpg

2012-01-11155151.jpg

Comparisson of a non cleaned cam cap against the head.

2012-01-11164252.jpg

It was then time to install the Ferrea valvetrain, got the full shabang here, all valves, springs, retainers etc.

2012-01-11114841.jpg

All installed

2012-01-11163257.jpg

Cams installed and caps torqued down

2012-01-11185333.jpg

All timed up

2012-01-11185259.jpg

Underside of head showing the valves and a nicely skimmed head.

2012-01-12084714.jpg

Also got a brief photo of the block that has been bored to 83mm.

photo2.jpg

As in the previous posts ran into problems with a missing cam cap, BIG thanks to graham for his kind offer of sending out a new one on friday, JP has found one fairly local to him going to test all the oil clearances of both of these caps and if it's not right send it away for line honing.

Big Thanks to JP @ JNL racing for the engine work and for being a top bloke :thumbup:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Looking good, well into the build now.
Any chance you could send me the email of your engine builder as when they've finished building yours i was going to ask if they encountered any problems with clearancing, etc
Most of my stuff is here so makes sense to see if anything had to be modded to fit

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Looking good, well into the build now.
Any chance you could send me the email of your engine builder as when they've finished building yours i was going to ask if they encountered any problems with clearancing, etc
Most of my stuff is here so makes sense to see if anything had to be modded to fit

Hi mate, have a look at jnlracing.com he has done some fantastic work including the highest HP 1.8t car in the country, something like 760BHP.

It's a business don't forget so don't know if he'll give away all his trade secrets :D if in doubt get it done by a pro.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Too far from me but i will be going to an engine builder.
Mainly just going to ask if any problems with the stroker fitting, i understand hes a business so may not give me an answer but may say 'check this or that'

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Too far from me but i will be going to an engine builder.
Mainly just going to ask if any problems with the stroker fitting, i understand hes a business so may not give me an answer but may say 'check this or that'

It may be quite far, it's 3 hours for me but I was told he's one of the best. Could always put it on a pallet?

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Just had confirmation the head IS ported & polished, a ported head allows the head to deliver more power on and off boost as if you where using 1 size smaller turbo, the power is also a lot more progressive making more traction. Meaning big :D

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.