Jason & Darren confirmed for 2008 BTCC

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Jason Plato and Darren Turner will continue to drive for SEAT Sport UK’s BTCC team in 2008, making it statistically one of the strongest driver line ups in next year’s series. Between them, they have started almost 300 BTCC races, won 41 races and scored over 2000 points.

Since 2004, SEAT has contested 120 races, winning 33, recording 83 podiums and scoring 2,245 Manufacturers’ points. It was BTCC Manufacturers’ Champions in 2006 and BTCC Teams’ Champions in 2007.

Read more here...

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I'll start his thread off then:

I'm happy there is consistency in the team for 2008. As always I am 1000% behind SEAT Sport all the way, we are their No1 fans after all. :D

Darren had some terrible luck during last season which often wasn't his fault. However in my opinion when he was in a position to fight on the track he appeared to under-achieve too. Hopefully with a full season behind him, he knows what is expected and what the competition are like.

If you compare his season to Plato in the same machinery, I think JP got every ounce of performance from the Leon, which frankly isn't the quickest car on the grid at the moment. Where as Darren did noticeably struggle in race trim on more than one occasion. Not to knock his achievements last year, he took wins and podiums and was a cracking qualifier, but I'd like to see a more consistent season from the team-mate this year.

I think Darren Turner has been given a second opportunity not often given to other touring car drivers. Darren really needs to deliver in 2008.

Hopefully SEAT will run with the new diesel Leon's in 2008 which should help with the straight line speed if they don't get nobbled by regulations. The handling has always been the cars strong point, but last year the power disadvantage was plain to see. Some luck, and sheer dogged determination by the team got that car on the podium last year. VX came back at them and pipped them at the post, in 2008 VX will start with that advantage. SEAT must have an answer.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
To be fair, getting used to the car shouldn't take a whole season, especially for an accomplished driver of Darren's calibre. The fact he's won races and his qualifying results show that he was used to the car pretty quick. It's an excuse you could levy at him the season before, where he only did a part season with Thommo doing the other rounds because he had little if any testing time and was in and out of the car for weeks on end.

Luck wasn't on his side last season thats a given.

All I'm saying is when he 'was' in a position to fight on the race track, he didn't really put up much of a consistent defence. Hopefully this past season has instilled he needs to have a bit more killer instinct in his race craft. He's a clean racer, but in the BTCC you need to be clean but also have a streak of push and shove. ;)

I'm not disappointed in his performance, I'd just like to see improvement, but as a fan I expect better things in 2008, especially if SEAT are seriously taking the challenge to Vauxhall.

I think I'm allowed to be a little critical, doesn't stop me being a huge fan and wanting them to win hands down next year as I hope they will. :D

The driver line-up is good, but remember VX have the reining British Champion and the Ex British Champion driving for them next season. You'll have two of the championships best drivers in arguably the best car on the grid.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Good news. Darren deserved another shot. Let's just hope he hasn't got the car with all the problems this year!

He just needs to be a bit more robust I think, he needs to find that fine line between gentle rubbing and nudging and punting people off completely. ;) It'll come eventually. :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I can't help but think out loud.....

He didn't seem to me to give his all in 2007. 2006 he was on the back foot, so I'll give him the BOD on that.

2008 will be a serious year for VXR for the reasons above. the V*ctra gets developed all the while, with good mid seasons advances.

The Leon is underpowered & the wrong shape and IIRC the car hasn't developed much since purchase.

I've never known a more passionate team, but I think they're going to get their asses kicked if DT keeps having 'bad luck' or giving up places so easily.

As the PR points out - he qualified better than anyone, but that reinforces the long distance racer attitude to racing sadly.

Maybe he's been getting some door to door practice in on Race07 :)

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
As i see it Darrens back ground is GT racing, so he has never had to rub or use a little nudge to get past. Hopefull JP will show Darren the way of plato so he can do well this year!

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I would like, if I may, to go back to the topic of achieving "consistency" that Scott said on btcc.net "For the first time we’ll be looking forward to a season with complete consistency in our driver line-up and this should present a great opportunity for us to maximise not only the potential of the team, but also the SEAT Leon" and what ZBOYD stated in the first of the two sentences in the second post's second paragraph.

But for me I think what the guys have finally achieved in deciding to retain Jase' and DT is stability.

I like to think, in terms of touring cars, "consistency" is the word to describe long-term strong form during the season.

I also like to think, in terms of touring cars, "stability" is the word to describe something that is also kep over the long term; a good strong proven formula. Ever heard of the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? In DT and Jase we have a formula that has ever promise, for me, of developing into a strong partership. Theirs no reason at all to change that. Especially if after only one full season.

Jase the experienced veteran with a Drivers title under his belt and experience of racing with top team-mates like Yvan Muller in 2001. And DT, the young up-and-comer with bags of potential with experience of most kinds of racing car.

And if the Leon goes TDi, I see no reason why it cannot only enhance the new found stability Jase and DT have forged and take Jase to only his second BTCC Drivers title.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I can't help but think out loud.....

He didn't seem to me to give his all in 2007. 2006 he was on the back foot, so I'll give him the BOD on that.

2008 will be a serious year for VXR for the reasons above. the V*ctra gets developed all the while, with good mid seasons advances.

The Leon is underpowered & the wrong shape and IIRC the car hasn't developed much since purchase.

I've never known a more passionate team, but I think they're going to get their asses kicked if DT keeps having 'bad luck' or giving up places so easily.

As the PR points out - he qualified better than anyone, but that reinforces the long distance racer attitude to racing sadly.

Maybe he's been getting some door to door practice in on Race07 :)
I agree with m0rk here that the car hasnt been developed although i disagree with the wrong shape...Hopefully they do get to use those new derv engines to get the speed up. We'll see...

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I know it is deviating a tad but think it has to be said. Touringcartimes.com reports that both WSR and VXR could be set to run 3 cars. Tom Onslow Cole is linked to a new third VXR seat along with Giovanardi and Ma** N**l.

In a Belfast paper interview with Turks it says "“However, Turkington will have to get used to a new team-mate in 2008. Former Renault Clio champion Tom Onslow-Cole has moved on to join Vauxhall where he will drive the team's third Vectra next season.”

This somehow has fuel rumour of WSR running three. But one of the last paragraphs says:
"Assuming the story is correct, one can only expect that SEAT must also be considering a third car in a bid to help them regain the manufacturers title that they lost to Vauxhall in 2007 and a drivers title that they have only dreamed about!"

Could DT have a teammate?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
perhaps, but I imagine IF they buy 3 new cars & a third driver they'll be stretched thin (unless they can get a good pay driver)

I think the third VXR seat is a pay drive, run by 888, but seperate to the main team

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
hopefully they will get the diesel in next year which hopefully should help the power situation

i didn't think the team performed too badly last year, yes they were down on power but did very well considering imo

hopefully as said above the diesel will come in with more power and that will hopefully even that side out and get more points

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
perhaps, but I imagine IF they buy 3 new cars & a third driver they'll be stretched thin (unless they can get a good pay driver)

I think the third VXR seat is a pay drive, run by 888, but seperate to the main team

The only reason why we don't see 3 cars more often in a team is really because only 2 drivers can be nominated for points - as we all I am sure know.

If I was Ian Harrison I would not get a good nights sleep if I had the notion of nominating Tom Onslow Cole as a second driver running through my head. I don't think he would be a reliable source for earning points on a consistent basis. Going on what I saw of Tom last season, although he will be in a better car than last season I am for some reason very sceptical about whether or not he can perform a much better job in a much better car.

So, although I don't know if what you said and what I said have any bearing on each other I agree that it isn't such a bad idea on that to put Tom seperate to the main team but still pay his wages.

Matt230

Good driver stability. I assume the car is still WRC specification

Matt