JB4 box

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
im about to order a JB4 box and data cable for my 290 manual

Anyone used these before? Install looks straight forward enough

Is the map suitable for the manual clutch?

How easy is the software to use etc?

Anyone had any problems with these before?

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
Yes do it you won't be disappointed
Simple to install, there's plenty of YouTube videos to help, the hardest bit is getting the obd cable through the firewall.

I have a dsg but map 1 should be fine for the manual.
When you create you own map6 just keep the boost low/flat until your above 4k

I've had no problems with the jb4 compared to the dtuk box which you could feel working in a bad way. Jb4 is far superior.

The app is really good for logging and changing map settings. You can change how much boost comes in at certain rpms on map 6
With the logging the fuel trims and ignition advance is what you need to keep a eye on

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
I love mine, love the logging capabilities, also with the latest firmware you can run lower boost than stock in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, really really helps with launches!

If you buy new you will get George's help and support in setting up a custom map 6, he will check over any logs you send him to make sure everything is good, although once you've got to grips with it you'll soon learn what is good and bad! Or just set it to map 1 and leave it alone with yours been a manual!

I'm back at the Dyno next week to see how it compares to my previous Jb1, but a few days ago me and a Golf R did a few pulls, I was alone but he had a passenger, he is Stage 2, didn't say who's map though, each time we left in 2nd and he initially got the jump, but, once I hit 3rd I was pulling him back in, by the end of 4th I was slowly passing him!

Here is an example of the kind of logs you will be able to pull, did this one just a few days ago!

Screenshot_20190521_131459_com.dmacpro91.jb4_mobile.jpg

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
Ok great thanks

Does it run the battery down when not in use?

I was going to try map 6 and try and soften it off at 2500rpm as that’s where the clutch slipped in 6th on my last car

So is map 1 the lowest boost level and 6 the custom one?

To use the app do I need the Bluetooth adapter? That’s quite expensive - I was going to buy the cable though

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Ok great thanks

Does it run the battery down when not in use?

I was going to try map 6 and try and soften it off at 2500rpm as that’s where the clutch slipped in 6th on my last car

So is map 1 the lowest boost level and 6 the custom one?

To use the app do I need the Bluetooth adapter? That’s quite expensive - I was going to buy the cable though
No, when the car is off the Jb4 is also off!

Map1 was aimed at people using 95ron and map2 using 98/99ron and map6 is the custom one, there are other maps but not ones you'll ever want to use!

I'd be setting it to map1, doing a 4th gear log and emailing it over to George at BMS letting him know your manual and he'll shoot back some recommended settings! From what I know of the manual box, you really don't want to go hard untill 4-4.5krpm, by comparison, with my dsg I'm hitting 19psi by 2700rpm, pretty sure that would quickly kill a manual clutch!

To use the app just the usb cable is fine, it's what I use, I used to just have it going in through the window when I needed it, but I've got it ran into the car alongside the OBD connector now! The app however isn't free as it's a 3rd party developer not BMS that has done it!

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
Ok thanks i have a cheap android tablet for obdeleven so that might work with the app

Otherwise is the proper laptop software free to us?

I always run super unleaded it v power but as you say I’d leave it on 1 and let them advise on what changes to make etc

I’ve seen the data cable routed with the harness so would just do that and coil it up behind the glovebox I think

Thanks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.