JBS CC-04 Review

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Hi all, i thought I'd post up my thoughts on this turbo conversion :D
the JBS CC04 conversion is great on first impressions & i can tell you it does get better as you adjust your driving to suit.

James mapped it exactly how i wanted it, with more kick at the top end & no tail-off in the boost pressure so i feels as if its worth holding the car in gear & the throttle pedal buried in the carpet :thumbup:

i love the way you can hold the boost at any point, so none of that 'all or nothing' feeling i used to have

as you know they have no rolling road at the moment, so i can only go by the vag-com logs which showed a consistent air flow rate of 225grams per second on a 3" MAF
the turbo holds 1.1Bar from 5200-6800rpm with zero timing pull.

vag-com log here in Microsoft Excel Worksheet format. (thanks to GaryM for hosting it)

so is there a downside?

a little one, the turbo takes a tad longer to spool, but thats it.

on the upside

the car is just SO much quicker everywhere & pulls like a train until the redline. i am used to some pretty quick cars & my car is faster A-B on my back road & motorway commute than my current 996 daily driver :-o

although most of this may be down to the time of year, my lack of RWD heroics, & the fact i rarely drive above 100 mph for fear of my license :doh:

what else can i tell you? i haven't driven an IHI car so i can't compare, but for the money it really is mental, maybe a little to mental for the Leon chassis.
My car sits on Eibach springs & ARB's with an EIP dogbone mount to keep the engine in check & it simply wants to drive straight on when those wheels start spinning.
now this never used to be a problem as it only really span in first & maybe on the change to second. but now it will spin in third when you plant your foot (again, its a bit greasy out there this week, especially in Herts, LOL) so still spinning on the wrong side of 70!
back to the money, James stuck to his quoted price, which impressed me no end as i was expecting loads of 'extras', so £2K +VAT all in including an oil & filter change.

now heres the bit you need to know about that £2k price tag.
you would need to already have the following...
1, FMIC (£700ish)
2, full turbo back exhaust with 3"DP & 'race' cat (£700-1000)
3, open air filter/CAI, or in my case a green panel filter with 4" intake (£50-200)

handling & brakes are up to you, but at best i would say they were 'advisable' :rolleyes:

All i can say is get it done, & get it done ASAP :)

so i finish with what i should have said to start with, & thats

THANKS TO ALL AT JBS

:cheers:

Last edited:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Great to see you got the new turbo in the end and didn’t give up after the last lot of problems.

So whats the figures you are hoping for?

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Scotty_b said:
Great to see you got the new turbo in the end and didn’t give up after the last lot of problems.

So whats the figures you are hoping for?

Yup, i was not happy with Jabba after that little episode, but thats all forgotten now ;)
as you know, I'm not that bothered about figures, just how it drives, but the suggestion is 280+ BHP & similar torque.
James actually turned down my boost to get it to drive as i wanted, so the option of even more may well be possible for others!
here's the funny bit. i thought i would be looking at big losses with a 4bar pump bigger injectors & FPR on MPG, but I'm actually averaging 3mpg more :happy:

top stuff.

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
i left it with them for a week, but as James said, "once we have done a few then it will be a few days"
i wanted to get in early & Bill @ badger put me in touch with JBS so i could be one of the first.
i got there & they were still trying to get the right actuator on the turbo. changed it three times whilst still stupid hot & i was waiting!
so no woossy mechanics up there then ;)

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Feel said:
I think 230 g/sec would be about 295-300 bhp on a k04-23
i won't pretend to know whats what with the g/sec mesurement, but i will get my arse over to the next RR meet near me so i can compare it to some other Leons & Ibiza's, then we will know whats what in the power stakes.

not that i care....

...much ;)

UK225

I see 235g/s when I use a stock MAF housing & dyno around 290 to 295bhp on the K04-23

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
UK225 said:
I see 235g/s when I use a stock MAF housing & dyno around 290 to 295bhp on the K04-23
I'm still unsure as to all the power g/s thing.
but i can say that my car feels a lot quicker & more drivable than a Revo'ed TT i drove recently :thumbup:, but that may be just because of the way i asked james to map it.

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Feel said:
Ah, okay - so 230 would be about 285-290 bhp, and James' estimate is right...
it might be worth pointing out that James wanted me to have an open filter, but i said no due to increased noise.

:cheers: