Just filled up for the first time - cap won't shut!

highguyuk

Dec 14, 2007
Stafford, UK
Hey,

Just filled up at Shell for the first time, pressed the fuel button when the engine was on - nothing.

Switched the button with the engine off and hey presto, fuel cap opens.

Unscrew the cap, fill up, put the cap on ... hmmm. The flap now isn't locking back! It's not flush and it's not locking back.

Help?!

Also, recommended locking fuel caps anyone? :D

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
Hey,

Just filled up at Shell for the first time, pressed the fuel button when the engine was on - nothing.

Switched the button with the engine off and hey presto, fuel cap opens.

Unscrew the cap, fill up, put the cap on ... hmmm. The flap now isn't locking back! It's not flush and it's not locking back.

Help?!

Also, recommended locking fuel caps anyone? :D

Can't tell you why the flap isn't closing, would definately take it back to the dealer...

As for the flap not opening when the engine is running that is normal.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

highguyuk

Dec 14, 2007
Stafford, UK
When I went to see another car before buying this one, they were having troubles getting the flap open.

Just trying to see if there is a common flap problem, but there doesn't appear to be!

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Try this....

Get in car, with ignition off press the fuel button.... this will disengage the locking mechanism....

Then get out of the car, and close the flap....

Then get back in again and start the car... this will re-engage the locking mechanism, and lock the flap shut ;)

You can only open and close the flap with the ignition OFF :D

Vonklaas

mines slightly off centre when i come to close it. i just have to drop it a bit to get it to close. And it shouldn't open with ur engine running.

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
I would sudgest you do exactly as andyj said. Had this once with a previous car, wont mention what lol and it was that i had accidentaly locked the car thus locking the fuel cap mechanism. Nearly broke the fuel cap trying to batter it closed :cartman:

highguyuk

Dec 14, 2007
Stafford, UK
Try this....

Get in car, with ignition off press the fuel button.... this will disengage the locking mechanism....

Then get out of the car, and close the flap....

Then get back in again and start the car... this will re-engage the locking mechanism, and lock the flap shut ;)

You can only open and close the flap with the ignition OFF :D

I've just followed these instructions and ... :-D ...

it didn't work :(

I can push the flap so that it lies flush with the body work but it's just not engaging or clicking shut. So as I stop applying any pressure, it won't lie flush.

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
Mine could be aligned better than it is tbh and the Mrs has had this problem in the past - However, I'm used to VAG cars and if something stops working as it should I'm always ready to give it a 'this will sort it' thump...

Needless to say, this theory works on the LCR's fuel filler cap door too... :lol:

So, if you haven't tried it already then give it a thump - it might just work!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members