K03/04 - GT Bolt on 1.8T

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Here's one to chew on.... Bolt on GT28 onto stock manifold from ATP for 1.8T. In-line motors and coming soon transverse motors.

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release041205.htm

below stuff ripped from their site...

GT2X – Stock appearance, not stock power.

The newly developed “GT2X” bolt-on turbo unit makes for an exceptional replacement for both the K03 and K04 turbo customer who likes their turbo in the stock location utilizing the stock exhaust manifold. This turbo is also for the customer that does not want to miss out on the low end “grunt” or torque of the stock turbo. However with the GT2X, expect to be pleasantly surprised by the flatness of the torque band and linear power delivery all the way to redline. Unlike the K03/K04 series, the GT2X has been designed to allow for a full power band on the 1.8T engine without choking up after 5000 rpm due to excessive backpressure at the turbine (a common problem even for customers that have upgraded from a K03 to K04).

What makes up the GT2X is a combination of a highly efficient small frame Garrett turbo cartridge (consisting of a highly optimized wheel combination that is fully assembled and high speed balanced from the Garrett factory) and an ATP cast exhaust housing that has been designed to further optimize the turbo for the 20V 1.8T allowing it to reach its highest efficiency range during normal operation. The result is nothing short of spectacular – an awesome breathing turbo and engine combination that likes to rev! In terms of performance, the GT2X (even though a non-ball bearing turbo) has the ability to start building boost right off idle speeds with more than 200 ft/lb of torque available from 2500 rpm all the way to redline, giving it the feeling of a powerful V8. This turbo, with its modern GT wheel aerodynamics, has the unique ability to make boost “now” and not make any qualms about holding the boost to redline.

Have no fear about this turbo going KKKaboom. The GT2X turbo shaft is at least 25% larger than any K03/K04 turbo and since this turbo can provide peak HP without going outside of its peak efficiency range, it will not be forced to run at the reliability limits. This turbo happily makes a reliable 275 crank HP on pump gas and close to 300 crank HP on high octane.

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
That will sell well if it proves to make 270-300bhp on a similar setup to what the k03s guys use ie bigger downpipes, race cats etc. Bigger injectors and 4 bar fpr. Its the turbo the Ibiza guys have been waiting for sensible but respectable power gains and cheaper than big turbo conversions. If its an easy upgrade and does what it says on the tin then the Ibiza boys have a viable turbo upgrade.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
dangel said:
Well some of us have been waiting YEARs for certain solutions... six weeks - pah!
:roflmao:

There is a solution tho now tho is'nt there...

IHI on Jabbasport manifold.

or have you gone off the idea now?

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
Madmile said:
That will sell well if it proves to make 270-300bhp on a similar setup to what the k03s guys use ie bigger downpipes, race cats etc. Bigger injectors and 4 bar fpr. Its the turbo the Ibiza guys have been waiting for sensible but respectable power gains and cheaper than big turbo conversions. If its an easy upgrade and does what it says on the tin then the Ibiza boys have a viable turbo upgrade.

couldnt put it better my self. very interesting...

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
What do you all think about their comment that the stock manifold flows surprisingly well?

On one hand "they would say that", on the other they might be right?

Cheap 2.7T conversion....

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I was told the stock manifold was good for 280-300bhp anyway by a well known tuner. My stock manifold has no cracks or damage from e05/ko3s use. One thing i will say is that you can never have enough bhp/torque but its whether you can live with the lag that a bigger turbo will produce. If this turbo makes 270-275bhp and the lags no issue then its going to be a winner. I know i need more bhp right now but the next step is quite costly and how reliable will it be. Question is where do i go from here rods,pistons, valves, gas flow the head and swap the turbo and aim for 400-440bhp or buy a different car?. Power is addictive.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
As the yanks say madmile,there's no replacement for displacement.
Above 400bhp go for at least a 2.6l v6.
380bhp is tops for me on a 1.8t
maybe 400bhp on a 1.9/2.0t
Go for a skyline with 500-600bhp...silly fast.

Garth

Back in the S!
Mar 5, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
Or I can let you know where there's an S6 going for a good price!
340bhp as standard... stick a big turbo or 2 on that! :D

Would have got it myself, then started to think about tyre costs (255/40/17 or 255/35/18) and fuel costs (about 10mpg realistically!) and then had second thoughts :(

cpufreak

back in the UK
Nov 9, 2003
London, SW6
photo.ing.me.uk
Feel said:
What do you all think about their comment that the stock manifold flows surprisingly well?

On one hand "they would say that", on the other they might be right?

Cheap 2.7T conversion....

you knew I'd read this didn't you?

on the day the income tax rebate hit my account and all. :)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
It wasn't specifically pointed at you, just a general comment - but now you mention it, AND own up to having the money - have you booked it in yet? :whistle:

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
ibizacupra said:
There is a solution tho now tho is'nt there...

IHI on Jabbasport manifold.

or have you gone off the idea now?

TBH I'm not sure Bill - i've not heard from jabba for a long, long time (i kept sending them an email every 3 months or so to check on progress and then forgot for a bit.. and they've not been back to me since..) - the cars piling up the miles now/getting older and so am I :bleh: As you like to say, whatever you've got you want just that 'bit more' and thats where i am now - the car is quick, a lot quicker than most but... arggh.
I'm currently trying to decide whether to call jabba or others (now we seem to have choice) and go for it - or get a runabout car for work and something exotic for a weekender (for some reason i've an obsession with the Noble M12). Sure the latter is more expensive, but it's a proper fast car from the get-go whereas the leon will always be a fast family car no matter what i do to it. Third option is (and you'll like this) get an Ibiza as a project car (not the new one, I hate that - the proper one :) ) and BT upgrade that. Lot less weight, less cost (at least cost of buying one) could be fun and I believe you've some experience in the area ;)
BT stuff seems to be interesting at last - nothing for 2 years and now we're hearing about all sorts of interesting options from a number of tuners. Good stuff.

Long and short of it is that I really don't know what to do but it's all on hold for a few weeks until the wife starts a new job and we've got the dual income again.
:cheers:

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
ryan_s3 said:
As the yanks say madmile,there's no replacement for displacement.

...and all the while their cars get the poorest output per litre in the world as far as i can see! Honestly, some of their 'supercars' are just rubbish in terms of engineering - bloody agricultural almost :thumbd:
I get what you're saying tho - but when they're using several litres to get just 300bhp (or less) or so it's not very impressive..

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
The torque will be phenominal though it could pull an ocean liner! ;)

Your right though big american cars are agricultural! Give the Japs or Europeans a 7 litre engine and you would be getting Apollo 5 power levels... well you get the idea LOL!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.