K03 Hybrid - again

jamiebennett81

Was just reading up on another post regarding this, and from reading what people have said, with the right modifications this is good for circa 300bhp

k03 with k04 internals - I understand this is largened housing with the revised K04 propellor

I have been speaking to Mark at Backdraft motorsport to get a run down on what else is needed in addition to just the turbo unit, and just going to list what he said, so to check I have everything required for the kit

K03 Hybrid (£821.32 incl VAT & Delivery)
TT 225, or Cupra R injectors (2nd hand ones can be supplied from Backdraft at a reasonable price TBC)
turbo gaskets
copper washers and bolts for the turbo
new oil feed
new oil feed lines?
oil filter

Mark mentioned that dependant on the map, the 4bar and fuel pump might have to be upgraded, as some tuners will map on 3bar and others 4bar

I would guess though as I will be going to Jabbasport to get this mapped is a 4bar is required?

can anyone think of anything else?

thanks for your help if anyone can help:);)

ps. Reason I am doing this is it's a reasonably cheap alternative to going BT, it bolts straight on and uses the existing K03s lines, connectors etc, and I want around the 300bhp mark (with current mods it should reach this almost), as anything over 300bhp I think is a little over kill (I am sure some will disagree :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

caveo

you may also need a 3" maf housing to get the volume of air in , a cheap way of doin this is a tt or R air box.

jamiebennett81

you may also need a 3" maf housing to get the volume of air in , a cheap way of doin this is a tt or R air box.

I am guessing you mean I will have to replace my Carbonio CAI?

sorry not too clued up on this if anyone else can help

jamiebennett81

No, as the Carbonio is 3", he means the housing the MAF sensor sits in, the LCR/TT/S3 210/225 version is 80mm, the Leon Cupra is 70mm.

ah right ok

second hand one can be bought from a 225 TT or LCR I guess?

thanks for the quick response by the way Rob

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
QUOTE]I want around the 300bhp mark (with current mods it should reach this almost), as anything over 300bhp I think is a little over kill (I am sure some will disagree )
nice to see your being sensible:lol:;)

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

seems to be some confusion around this with people calling it the K04 hybrid

just spoken to Mark at BD MS and the k04 hybrid is what bolts onto the like of the 225 TT or the LCR

There is the k03 to K04 upgrade, but essentially this is a K03 hybrid, but for some reason they call it a K04

its basically a k03 with k04 internals (slightly largened housing as well)....so should be renamed k03 hybrid and not the "k03 to k04 upgrade"

seems to be causing a little confusion

speaking with Mark, this is good for almost 300bhp and bolts straight onto the k03 manifold

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
you really want to ride in cars with both set ups. the hybrids i imagine will run out of puff quite easierly.. where as bt holds the power to the redline.

so although the 300 from a hybrid happens its gone quickly.

higher redline with bt too.

mind you twice the money :shrug:

jamiebennett81

BT for me is a little too much, and also the extra expense of manifold etc etc

I chose the hybrid as it offers up a little more power, shifts the peak power higher up the rev range a little withouth compromising the low down grunt too much, and it bolts straight onto the K03 manifold, again keeping the cost down

Anyway just bought the turbo from BD MS, and expecting delivery on tue/wed with used LCR 225 injectors as well on top of that

just now need to get the gaskets, bolts etc and will be visiting Jabbasport June time for the fitting and mapping, so will keep you posted in the mean time

will take some pics of the turbo when I get it...I might start up a readers ride thread and post my progress up in there

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
BT for me is a little too much, and also the extra expense of manifold etc etc

I chose the hybrid as it offers up a little more power, shifts the peak power higher up the rev range a little withouth compromising the low down grunt too much, and it bolts straight onto the K03 manifold, again keeping the cost down

Anyway just bought the turbo from BD MS, and expecting delivery on tue/wed with used LCR 225 injectors as well on top of that

just now need to get the gaskets, bolts etc and will be visiting Jabbasport June time for the fitting and mapping, so will keep you posted in the mean time

will take some pics of the turbo when I get it...I might start up a readers ride thread and post my progress up in there

sounds good. definatly good valve. 290+ will be very fast and lets hope you can nudge 300. its going to be a weapon .

i take it youve spoken to jabba about the mapping? mikes mapped my car brilliantly. top bloke

jamiebennett81

sounds good. definatly good valve. 290+ will be very fast and lets hope you can nudge 300. its going to be a weapon .

i take it youve spoken to jabba about the mapping? mikes mapped my car brilliantly. top bloke

friend has a k03s Ibiza and Jabba did all the mapping for him and did a top job. I went with him and Mike is a very knowledgeable guy!

if I hit 280 will be nice, and anything over that will be a bonus

the K03s on mine as standard is good, but only for about 245 absolute maximum (despite reading up on figures of 250bhp+ but thats the dyno lottery)

if I hit 290, then I will be a very happy boy, but as someone mentioned, I am not sure if the k03 manifold can flow this high

although its not just the bhp figure for pub talk which I am looking for, its being able to hold onto the power a little more, as the k03s can still run out of puff, and if t (as I am told) the k03 hybrid can hold onto the power a little further up the rev range, then thats a big thumbs up from me, as I want the power band to be held more to the redline as well

it wont be fitted and mapped to June now, as have to get all the other little bits in place, like gaskets, bolts etc, so just a case of slowly collecting parts etcc

I know if Jabba map it I will need the 4bar and uprated fuel pump. Are these standard on the LCR, and if so, I guess it would be best looking at a written off LCR to get these parts a little cheaper?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
id ring jabba and confirm they are happy to map it. im sure it will be ok if there fitting it but id check anyways:)

summers going to be fun ;)

jamiebennett81

id ring jabba and confirm they are happy to map it. im sure it will be ok if there fitting it but id check anyways:)

summers going to be fun ;)

just tried calling them, they are closed! dam...will find out on Monday

If others are thinking the same, then if Jabba do it, its just another option for people to take their car to them as a potential tuner

**EDIT** called AMD today and sent a quote for fitting and mapping as just found out they now have a branch in Surrey, so right on my door step! sent Simon an email, so will be a lot easier than travelling up to Jabbasport and better in case of any issues or tweaks needed

updates to follow :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.