K03 Hybrid - again

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Making it fit will require you getting some kind of rotary tool and 'sanding/grinding' the inside of the maf end of the tip down. Go slowly as obviously you want to keep as much thickness as you can while taking enough away for the 3inch maf to fit inside. It will be very tight! The maf is 10mm bigger than the k03 tip hole.

Mar 17, 2007
montrose scotland
as said above tho mate you get a 3 inch maf to increase air flow but what your doing is decreasing airflow by bodging a smaller tip on

ok yea i understand this but will go with this and see what it is like as i have one lying about that i never got fitted to.so will be no harm in trying i suppose.

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
ok yea i understand this but will go with this and see what it is like as i have one lying about that i never got fitted to.so will be no harm in trying i suppose.

dont no mate i would ask backdraft first to be on the safe side

but logic would tell me if i put a larger turbo on which will suck more air in i wouldnt put a smaller pipe on hindering performance of the turbo especially when its just cost me £800 quid :shrug:

plus nothing wrong with selling the old one and ordering the right one :whistle:

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
The 225 tip will fit mate. The pics forge posted in the thread you asked are from opposite sides of the tip. They are not that different and all it will do is alter where your filter sits.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Yes it will! 5mm is nothing! Your clip will easily clamp that down. No point in going 3inch maf if you are not going to get a tip that can flow the extra. Waste of money just keep your k03 maf.

caveo

Dont worry about your k03 tip with a 3" maf housing thats what im running with an ihi kit, The maf can only read so much air flow but if you tell it its flowing through a 3" housing it does the maths and sorts it all out, but i had to slightly mod the other end to meet the IHI.

jamiebennett81

Dont worry about your k03 tip with a 3" maf housing thats what im running with an ihi kit, The maf can only read so much air flow but if you tell it its flowing through a 3" housing it does the maths and sorts it all out, but i had to slightly mod the other end to meet the IHI.

sorry Caveo, being stupid here, how did you get the 3" maf housing to fit the forge tip?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
3inch maf will not fit in a forge k03 tip without modifying. Heating it up and all sorts wont get it in without alot of hard work. When you get it in then it will pop out as it wont hold even with a clamp on. Need modifying to be on the safe side.

Running a k03 tip on IHI is very different to running one on a k04-001. The k04-001 needs max airflow to it as it runs at max flow to get power figures like 250bhp. The IHI does not need max airflow to run 320bhp as its not maxing out its flow to produce that power. It depends what the limiting factor is. The limiting factor on the k04-001 for 250bhp will be the amount of air it can flow. The limiting factor on IHI for 320bhp is mapping as the turbo can flow much more but becomes unreliable when it does because of the heat produced and speed the turbine spins.

caveo

yes the 320 is playing it safe for the turbo and internals. And your right it was hard work getting the 3" maf in.

jamiebennett81

yes the 320 is playing it safe for the turbo and internals. And your right it was hard work getting the 3" maf in.

ok, so if it was hard work getting the 3" MAF in, someone on here said to by the ATP pipe? not seen or heard of one of these before.....

caveo

the atp pipe goes onto the standard tip and flows a little better but id stick with a forge one as they are stronger.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise