Keep the Diesel FR?

Funkymonkey247

Aug 28, 2016
I currently have a 2.0tdi 150 FR that is september 2016 with 25k on the clock and will continue to be low mileage.

I am thinking about changing to a 1.5 150 TSI new but am unsure what to do.
Most of my journeys I do are approx 60 miles and always take it for a blast when can.

If I get a new car obviously be paying more but equally if buy my car it will be 3 years old.

What are the rough mileages I can expect for parts to need replacing on the Leon such as cambelt and glow rods etc?

Would you all be worries about keeping and costs going forward or just enjoy the economy and torque for now? Advice would be appreciated either way sticking with the leon!

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I've got a 150 TDI FR on a 13 plate.
Currently on about 131k with a 90 mile roundtrip for work everyday.
I had the cambelt and water pump changed at about 118k for about £400.
Glow plugs I've had 2 changed so far as I get the free breakdown cover for dealer servicing they actually replaced these for £20 a pop when you call them out.
Brake discs and pads had doen about 100k for about £200 odd and bought from a forum sponsor on here.
I've had the egr gasket replaced as that was leaking coolant onto the exhaust so would lose coolant and one of the radiators changed due to a hole from a stone around £500 altogether and that was after 100k too.
Also had 2 sets of 4 tyres all around since I bought it
Next might be shockers as some mechanics have said misting of oil but dealers never said anything about this on any services.
Still on original clutch and turbo but then 90% of the time it's only doing motorway miles.

With yours on the mileage its currently on it should be pretty much cost free for quite a while yet.
Although if it's within budget and with new car warranty peace of mind and updated spec/tech then probably best if you go for the new car

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As above, 63 plate 2.0tdi 150 ps about to hit 100k Miles this week.

Run on long life servicing; had loads of electrical gremlins to start off with (as is usually the case with cars <6 months into production), but relatively trouble free for now. Only issue I have is water ingress in 1 rear light, but this is where it has cracked with boot lid lights striking outer lights when the boot lid is closed.

New sets of tyres every 20-25k miles (obviously dependent on type of use/road surface), cam belt/water pump at 5yrs/140,000 miles, new discs and pads at 45k and new pads at 85k. Shocks, suspension bushes and clutch are most likely things to replace now, but 2-3 monthly payment equivalents will cover this (just putting a little cash to one side), and decent breakdown cover just in case.

I’ve been looking at new cars, but 50+mpg, decent acceleration (ie. I can overtake when required), LED headlights, Bluetooth connectivity, decent stereo/nav. To be honest, this is one of the first cars I’m look at running into the ground, as I can’t justify significant £££ for not much improvement.

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
It also depends how worried you are about the new diesel rules and regs coming into force over the next 1-2 years that will make it very expensive to own a diesel. Only people who do huge miles will be able to justify the costs of owning one from what I understand!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The rule/tax changes are for cars registered after 1 Apr 2018.

Most of the tdis in Mk3 Leon are either Euro 5 or Euro 6. The only issue may be entering urban emission zones with Euro 5 cars, but the rules have not yet been confirmed.

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
The rule/tax changes are for cars registered after 1 Apr 2018.

Most of the tdis in Mk3 Leon are either Euro 5 or Euro 6. The only issue may be entering urban emission zones with Euro 5 cars, but the rules have not yet been confirmed.

Yes for those changes you mention. I meant the rumours about mandatory price differences of up to 50p per litre of fuel between petrol/diesel etc. Lots of speculation about the next level of changes online. Basically they want to price diesels out of the market in favour of hybrids. Annoying since they pushed us all into diesel in the first place! All just rumours at the moment of course.

To answer the OPs question I suspect your fuel economy between a 2.0TDI and a 1.5 TSI with ACT would be similar unless you were on a long motorway run. I get good fuel economy from my 1.4 TSI similar to my previous diesel unless I'm on the motorway, and I didn't do that enough to justify keeping the oil burner.

Reactions: black_sheep

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I can’t see that type of difference in price between fuel types to be honest, as it would impact haulage, rail and shipping significantly more than private/company car owners and thus have a significant impact on the economy.

When compounded with other factors, governments around the world will not want their economies tanking in order to influence the switch to hybrid/electric, regardless of the potential impact on future generations.

Just my opinion of course, and I hope that the OP doesn’t mind the thread hijack...

Reactions: Oddmanout

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
What do people justify as mega miles for a diesel? When I first got my fr last winter I was doing 400-500 miles a week but since the start of May I've been on sites a lot closer to home (15-20 miles) where my mpg is ruined by shorter trips and forced regens. Makes me wonder if I should stick with diesel or go back to petrol

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
What do people justify as mega miles for a diesel? When I first got my fr last winter I was doing 400-500 miles a week but since the start of May I've been on sites a lot closer to home (15-20 miles) where my mpg is ruined by shorter trips and forced regens. Makes me wonder if I should stick with diesel or go back to petrol

Well for me personally I do 20 miles per day round trip for work and I wouldn't have a diesel for that mileage. If I get this new job I've applied for I will be doing 32 miles per day round trip and still happy to stick with my petrol for that. I had a diesel when I did 70 miles per day round trip and it was perfect for that. Anything 50+ per day I would have a diesel instead personally.

Saying that my current commute is country roads and 2 fairly short dual carriageways. If you're on the motorway a lot maybe you could justify a diesel with a lower daily mileage?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As above, more about type of journey/how you use the car and how long you intend to keep it. Short journeys or heavy traffic petrol may be better. Longer journeys and free flowing traffic diesel may be better. If you carry a lot of kit/passengers and/or tow then the diesel may also be best.

I recall reading an article looking at the break even point for cost of ownership petrol vs diesel across a range of cars was 14 - 20k miles pa over a 3 year ownership, but is very dependant on fuel prices, car tax (most petrol/diesels are £145 now regardless, but my FR is £20), new car prices and residual values.

I’m sure there are online tools to compare like for like models.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I’ve stuck with my Diesel 184ps DSG because you just can’t beat the huge torque you get unless you have a Cupra and don’t fancy the 1.8 TSI. I only do 8k per annum but still seems ok and only £30 to tax compared to nearly £200 on a 1.8 TSI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unizz

Jul 5, 2017
Hi everyone I was genuinely thinking the same thing I also have a 184 dsg diesel 64 plate that's been Remapped currently on 96k mileage mainly motorway mileage. I'm clueless on what should be replaced when I hit the big 100k mileage. I don't have any issues with it at all and I service it every 12k, long life oil, tyres pads brakes replaced accordingly when needed etc

Any idea what I should start to think about replacing, improving etc. Any help would be much appreciated fellow diesel owners

Thank you!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
@Unizz, if it's running fine then nothing will need replacing I was told cam belt and water pump is at 120k, mine was going for a major service so I got mine done a bit earlier.
You might want to check your suspension for leaking but if it's fine then leave it.
Glow plugs might need doing but can't really tell unless they go.
I noticed the couple of times mine went then just before the dpf would do more frequent regens not sure if that's a coincidence or not but once replaced it didn't regen as often.
Apart from servicing and normal consumables you shouldn't need to worry about much in the near future if all else is fine.

Unizz

Jul 5, 2017
@Unizz, if it's running fine then nothing will need replacing I was told cam belt and water pump is at 120k, mine was going for a major service so I got mine done a bit earlier.
You might want to check your suspension for leaking but if it's fine then leave it.
Glow plugs might need doing but can't really tell unless they go.
I noticed the couple of times mine went then just before the dpf would do more frequent regens not sure if that's a coincidence or not but once replaced it didn't regen as often.
Apart from servicing and normal consumables you shouldn't need to worry about much in the near future if all else is fine.
Thanks man that's much appreciated. I don't drive the car harshly even after the remap just every now and then for a bit of fun. I have noticed that it drinks oil a lot quicker not sure what that might be.

I was just planning ahead to make sure it continues to run as smoothly as it does now or even smoother if at all possible
Thanks

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.