Keeping the Tolly for a while longer

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Was considering getting rid of the Tolly earlier, but after forking out nearly £800 over the last 3 months think I'll just have to keep her now for a while longer to make forking out a little less painful........

£100 bill paid today to fix the radiator hose, week before Xmas is just what we all need :cry:

Ah well, could have been worse ?!?!

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Novelty's kinda worn off for me now too! Only had it 3 months but I had a bad experience with the aftersales where i bought it that soured the milk. (they wouldn't replace the heated rear window which only works on 3 bars!)

fuel economy seems to have taken a nosedive since (I guess) the switch to winter diesel in mid november. I went from high 40s to about 43mpg. And I'm driving like a granny all the time to compensate. It's my own fault admittedly, i should've expected it to be bad. I'm starting to think I should've got a 159 instead. They are about the same money but they are much nicer cars imo (top gear reliability references not withstanding)

I think I'm gonna see out 12 months with it and weigh up my options, I was thinking about getting something a lot older and doing it up, like a series 1 audi A6 2.5 (5 pot) TDI. More expensive to run but they can be had for peanuts and classic insurance is a fraction of the cost of what I'm paying now. I dunno whether I'm mad for having such a new car or mad for thinking I should have something older! I've always had older cars (my other cars a 1983 polo classic) but such cars don't impress the right pepole at work. Perhaps it's a new job I need and not a new car!

Last edited:

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
I've got to keep mine now too much work on the house, can't really justify a new motor :-( Think I'll wait til next major bill is due before getting something new.

jonl999

Hello folks.

Proud owner of a Toledo 2.0 TDI DSG Sport. Bought it second hand in 07 and I am still very pleased with it. No regrets whatsoever.

I conteplated replacing it recently, but I really cannot see a good reason to do so!!!

So I will start gathering cash for a sinking fund for the £1k that I will may have to spend in the next 1-2yrs

Happy to share any experiences/knowledge.

Jon

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Hello folks.

Proud owner of a Toledo 2.0 TDI DSG Sport. Bought it second hand in 07 and I am still very pleased with it. No regrets whatsoever.

I conteplated replacing it recently, but I really cannot see a good reason to do so!!!

So I will start gathering cash for a sinking fund for the £1k that I will may have to spend in the next 1-2yrs

Happy to share any experiences/knowledge.

Jon

Welcome to the Tolly club Jon, not many of us around. Mines been great value so far. Would have to pay a hell of a lot more for something with similar spec elsewhere.

TOL3DO

Just got a 57 plate Toledo 2.0tdi Sport Special Edition which I pick up next wednesday. Never seen one before we bought it and only a few on Auto Trader so there isn't an awful lot of info out there which can be a good thing and a bad thing :blink:

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
From your avatar looks like the same kit as mine mate. Mines just coming up to 60k on the clock & going fine still (fingers crossed). Think I'm keeping mine for a couple more years as just had 4 new tyres & new brakes all round. Think she's good for a while longer yet, plus she's paid for :)

Welcome up the Tolly club, certainly not many out there. Bit like marmite I think!!

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
I was told by a SEAT dealership that they sold just 70-ish Toledos across the whole of the UK in 2007 ...dunno if that was specifically the 1.6, which I have (suspect so)

Bigger/more practical storage than an Altea, almost half the price of the equivalent used Golf (whether or not this is a good thing depends largely on where/when you bought) more rear leg room than any car I’ve ever been in …excluding a LWB A8 I was picked up for work in, come to think of it.

For the purposes of finding parts or common faults for anything forward of the boot hatch, it’s an Altea – which is great, cos so far there’s only been one revision of Altea that I’m aware of.

I love mine. I was looking at filling the bottom part of that huge boot with an air-ride suspension kit I saw on a website in the 'States the other day.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The third Tolly didn't do too well, considering SEAT already had the Leon hatchback and Altea hatchback it seemed really silly (to me at least) to make a Toledo hatchback. I wouldn't be surprised if 70-ish is pretty much spot on.

I can't dispute the value for money though, as an alternative to the Altea and Leon (and definitely the Golf) it's definitely a good purchase.

TOL3DO

I was actually looking to buy a golf and was persuaded to visit one of our local dealers to have a look around. As soon as I saw it I thought it ticked quite a few of the boxes I was looking for i.e. nice alloys, tinted windows, sporty looks, loads of room and plenty of spec.

Yeah, they are marmite... you either hate them or love them, I quite like the quirkiness of the rear end mixed with the sporty looks. Don't know if the alloys on ours were original when built or added from a FR but it was a definite plus on my tick sheet.

Only 40k on the clock with fsh and no dpf which I have had to replace on 3 of our last 4 cars so was definitely a pleasant surprise when they told me it didn't have one :dance:

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
I paid £7500 for mine nearly 3 years ago. Got the 1.9tdi and had it revod. Has the same kit as yours, the dealer I brought it from did quite a few 2.0 tdi dsg with the kit alloys & chrome mirrors etc as pre reg's about the same time. Without the kit & wheels would definitely not got it. A mate had a plain one & I wasn't impressed, but with the kit it makes all the difference.
I've debadged mine (looks loads better) & been asked a few times what model of seat it is so shows how rare they are!
The 1.9 definitely needed the revo, would have love the 2ltr but was nearly twice the price & looked pretty much the same & revo was only £300 for extra 40 bhp & loads more torque:)

TOL3DO

So have you removed both the toledo and seat badges or just the toledo badge? I paid £6500 for ours which considering there was only two other special editions for sale on autotrader... one for £4700 (105,000 miles) and the other is £7000 (54,000 miles) I don't think the price was too bad for a 2.0tdi.

Already been looking around at slightly lowering it (not yet but prob in 2013) but will see at a later time. Probably will debadge the toledo part, maybe change the colour of the seat badge to gun metal or matt black some time in the near future.

Noticed that the radio says cd/mp3, does this mean it plays mp3 cd's or has a mp3 audio jack hidden somewhere or both?

Last edited by a moderator:

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Just the Toledo badge removed, got the honeycomb grill as well. Sits nicely behind the normal grill, easy to fit & quite cheap mod. Think there is a 3.5m jack somewhere near the handbrake from when I had a look round my mates 2007, 57 Tolly. Unfortunately mine doesn't have one & havnt got toy d to fitting a parrot kit for phone & iPod yet.

TOL3DO

Forgot to look around the dash etc when we were looking at the car and we don't pick it up till next wednesday so will update as soon as I find out. Ours has bluetooth enabled I believe so failing a jack I could try bluetoothing a track to the stereo assuming I can pair a device to the the stereo lol.

TOL3DO

If its hot the Bluetooth I'm pretty sure it has a aux in jack by the handbrake, think its near the ciggie lighter.

Cheers mate, will have a look and confirm as soon as I get my hands on the car, will also post some photos ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise