Kerbed diamond cut alloy!

JamesP1992

Aug 19, 2016
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get this kerb mark out of my alloy?

I have read about the wet and dry sandpaper approach, just wondering how effective that is?

Any suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• 20190909_161228.jpg
    20190909_161228.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 658
  • 20190909_161227.jpg
    20190909_161227.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 753

ray

Jan 7, 2016
That’s not coming out by the looks of it.

Also even if successful in sanding there’s also a coat of lacquer that you’ll be removing leaving it open to further damage and eventually needing refurbished anyway.

It’s not awful though to be honest so I would just try live with it, if not your around £100 to have it refurbished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MXP2090

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Live with it and wait for the corrosion to set in. Or get it refurbed.

JamesP1992

Aug 19, 2016
Would you guys get it refurbed now or wait? I still have just under 2 years left on the lease so don't want to sort it now and kerb it again before I give it back.

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Would you guys get it refurbed now or wait? I still have just under 2 years left on the lease so don't want to sort it now and kerb it again before I give it back.

@JamesP1992, if I was you I get it done now before any corrosion sets in then I would invest in a set of alloygator rims, they have saved me from curbing my alloys many times. Made of very hard wearing plastic if you scuff them you can rub them down clean them up and they look new again, best thing I bought for these diamond cut wheels.
a4138cfa907ca9d1d3d1f3b5f938dd16.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ray

Jan 7, 2016

If your going to I would try what’s been posted above about the polishing stones and try fix it yourself, if it works then great, if not nothing lost.

If it turns out not bad you might away with never having to refurb them.

If you do end up deciding to refurb I would do it now, it’s going to cost you regardless so why not enjoy it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JamesP1992

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
@JamesP1992, if I was you I get it done now before any corrosion sets in then I would invest in a set of alloygator rims, they have saved me from curbing my alloys many times. Made of very hard wearing plastic if you scuff them you can rub them down clean them up and they look new again, best thing I bought for these diamond cut wheels.
a4138cfa907ca9d1d3d1f3b5f938dd16.jpg

Where did you buy them and are they easy to fit ?

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
Do the alloygators actually work?

I was going to get some but have read some horror stories regarding them causing damage to the alloy, dirt and grit getting caught in them?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Do the alloygators actually work?

I was going to get some but have read some horror stories regarding them causing damage to the alloy, dirt and grit getting caught in them?

Here’s a YouTube video showing how they’re fitted.

They do look as if they provide reasonably large lip to protect against kerbing, but that’s quite a lot of force being used with that hard rubber hammer, hammering the Alloygator against the rim of the wheel. With all that hammering, I wonder if there’s a risk of damaging the (thin) lacquer coat on the rim of diamond cut alloys behind the Alloygator, if there is a risk, it would create ideal conditions for the onset of white worm corrosion.

I’ve read instances of Alloygators either coming adrift from the wheel or coming apart at the join when the car’s moving - maybe as a result of poor / incorrect fitting - causing damage to the car’s bodywork as one end of the Alloygator works loose and hits the bodywork with each rotation of the wheel it’s attached to.

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Here’s a YouTube video showing how they’re fitted.

They do look as if they provide reasonably large lip to protect against kerbing, but that’s quite a lot of force being used with that hard rubber hammer, hammering the Alloygator against the rim of the wheel. With all that hammering, I wonder if there’s a risk of damaging the (thin) lacquer coat on the rim of diamond cut alloys behind the Alloygator, if there is a risk, it would create ideal conditions for the onset of white worm corrosion.

I’ve read instances of Alloygators either coming adrift from the wheel or coming apart at the join when the car’s moving - maybe as a result of poor / incorrect fitting - causing damage to the car’s bodywork as one end of the Alloygator works loose and hits the bodywork with each rotation of the wheel it’s attached to.

The rubber mallet being used in the clip is called a “Dead blow” hammer which is filled with loose sand or steel shot, which distributes the energy of the strike over a longer period of time and reduces rebound.No damage will come to the alloys when installing these rims.I have had the gators rims on for nearly 18months bashed a couple of curbs, get the Dremel tool out tidy them up and your good to go again.I had two new ps4s fitted a couple of months ago and they took the gator rims off, no sign of white worm or any corrosion at all.There are some cheaper options out there but if I ever needed to buy these again,it’s a no brainer.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get this kerb mark out of my alloy?

I have read about the wet and dry sandpaper approach, just wondering how effective that is?

Any suggestions welcome!

Mask off the tyre (and alloy further away), and then wetsand with 2000/3000 paper. It will almost disappear and then apply laquer or use use a good paint sealant to cover the sanded area. Its worked well for me before on similar diamond cut edges.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If you are in London, go to Whoops Wheel Fix it in Hendon and they should be able to sort that (without refurb) for about £75-80, can't remember exact price, as I had other stuff (non wheel related) done at the same time, took them about 3 hours.
My wheels (non Seat) were also curbed, and that's despite me having reversing camera!) and after they fixed it with polish and laquer etc, till today I'm still trying to find out where I kerbed it.
Regarding Alloygators, some fitters would outright refuse to mount on a diamond cut finished wheel, even if you tell them you will take the risk, this is why I did not go for alloygators...as they advised on their website, not for diamond cut..

*Sorry I can't zoom in to the part where they fixed it, as i don't know where it was...despite looking for the past 3-4 months...but i suspect it's at 10o'clock position on the full wheel pic..judging by where the writing on the tyre is..
Just found out prices:
'Sure, we can do a smart repair on this alloy at a cost of £65+vat. (half a day turnaround)
Alternatively we can get the full diamond cut repair done for £80+vat (3 day turnaround)'

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 20190219_171419_resized_1.jpg
    20190219_171419_resized_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Alloygaters are (subjectively) ugly as sin and have been known to cause etching on alloys, damaging them anyway. I got Alloy insurance for my Cupra because refurbing these wheels is expensive.

Leases have an allowance for kerbing. Looking at that is likely under the chargeable limit, so if you can live with it, dont worry about the cost.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Alloygaters are (subjectively) ugly as sin and have been known to cause etching on alloys, damaging them anyway. I got Alloy insurance for my Cupra because refurbing these wheels is expensive.

Leases have an allowance for kerbing. Looking at that is likely under the chargeable limit, so if you can live with it, dont worry about the cost.
Agree on the aesthetics of Alloygators and I personally wouldn’t fit them, but for those that have, it’s good we don’t all like the same things, otherwise life would get boring very quickly!

Some alloy wheel insurances exclude diamond cut alloys, so if you’ve not already done so, it’d be worth checking the small print in your policy to make sure you’ve not been sold something you can’t make use of if you’re unfortunate enough to damage one of your wheels.

Reactions: Peller

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Also if you are on a lease, I believe you have to have the alloygators removed before returning the car. Unless someone else here has returned them with them still on and didn't get a chargeable fee?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.