Key fob replacement

OdiouS_03

Nov 13, 2015
Hi all. The key fob on my 2004 Cupra has packed up so thought I'd ring for a couple of quotes. One was for £125, SEAT want 200!! Does this seem right? They said 150 for the fob and 50 for programming. I'm sure I've read around 70 before all in.

dukemaster17

Dec 21, 2015
Greece
You want a completely new key fob? With new blade remote and transponder chip ?
Or you need a new shell casing because if that's the case it's pretty straight forward and easier.
If you need a completely new key then you 'll definitely going to need programming to the Immo ECU.
If you buy a completely new key from the dealership fro your car they are going to give it to you with a 5 digit code (at least here in Greece they give it you with the 5 digit code).
If you have a VAG COM you can program it yourself or with a little help.

Last edited:

OdiouS_03

Nov 13, 2015
I just need the remote part but no key. It detaches from the key.
Are they quoting for the key aswell? Excuse my ignorance

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
You can get the remote push button part from eBay easily enough, split the key and you should be able to see a XXXHz number. Ensure you get the same number button and Hz part and you're laughing.

Pairing this part up is easy. As said, programming the immobiliser takes a little more time, effort and money but I've just done this yesterday (took Vag Commander and VCDS to do it but 3 minutes worth of plugging in etc)

mesh

Mar 4, 2015
SCQ Spain
If you have the "lollipop" key it is just a case of getting a new one, with the same Mhz and pairing it up with the central locking. The transponder for the immobiliser is in the key part, a glass cylinder about the size of a rice "seed" so there is no need to pair it.

And pairing it for the central locking is a piece of cake... as long as you have two sets of keys and you do not need any special software. No idea why they charge so much!!

If you want to get the flip key, you need to order the same Mhz key in order to pair it with the central locking. The transponder can be switch from the old "lollipop" key to the new one saving having to pair it and then get the blade cut in a locksmiths. This last step can vary greatly in price from one place to another so shop around. These keys can be found on Aliexpress or ebay for a cheap price 20 GBP approx.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSVPhil

OdiouS_03

Nov 13, 2015
Thanks for your responses. I only have one key and the other problem is as I'm having to use the key, as soon as I unlock the car I have to turn the key to get the electrics on within a few seconds, otherwise the alarm goes off! Any ideas how to stop this happening until I get the new fob?

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
Well you're going to need a second key for starters. I'd be inclined to get a blank flip key with a virgin transponder off ebay for a couple of quid.
Get it cut at a local key cutter, don't worry about the transponder chip programming at this point.
You can then swap the old key blade (with immobiliser chip) onto the new pushbuttons. Using the two keys you can now programme the pushbuttons for remote unlocking.

I still have to place the key in the ignition within a few seconds otherwise the alarm re sets itself.

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
Type 'making a new key' in the search bar. There's plenty of guides on here with regards to your problem but I found this one to be the most concise and correct.
YouTube is good for a visual run through, most older audis/VW's work the same.
You need a second key though before you can do anything.

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
It's essentially the same thing but with a foldable key. Still blade type.

Again, there are quite a few lollipop style keys on Ebay. From what I have read, you are only interested in the pushbuttons and so can discard the blade on the new key if it has already been cut.

See if you can find a blank version with virgin transponder.

1. Get new blank key cut
2. Use old key along with newly cut key to programme push buttons
3. Swap new buttons onto old key blade (this will give a key with remote central locking and immobiliser chip)
4. Store newly cut blade with old buttons until you can get the transponder programmed.

Have a search though, all your questions should be answered in several different ways.

OdiouS_03

Nov 13, 2015
I'd be interested. What exactly would I have to do for it to work with mine if it's second hand though?

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Key case is used but it has a new uncut blade, can provide a virgin transponder too. You will need to get the blade cut and then get it programmed, which you would have to do with any key anyway.

Let me dig it out and see what frequency it is

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
OK, frequency is 434MHZ, part number HLO 1JO 959 753 AG 2 button flip key with new blade.

£26 posted with virgin transponder
£20 posted without transponder

First refusal to OdiouS_03

2016-01-07%2013.36.16_zpssjzb7myh.jpg

2016-01-07%2019.49.49_zpsuwwzrwi4.jpg

2016-01-07%2019.49.34_zpseb25eikl.jpg

2016-01-07%2019.49.20_zpsykz8hlus.jpg

2016-01-07%2019.48.41_zpsunt8gxh6.jpg

Last edited:

Jputts

May 22, 2015
South England
There's a gent named Craig nettleton (might have spelt last name wrong) on the v.a.g Facebook page in sure he's cheaper than that and aparently top work too!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Reactions: pari

Jputts

May 22, 2015
South England
This I do not know, I know he codes them to cars etc and can do Bentley style keys as well but you'll have to talk to him :)

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
This I do not know, I know he codes them to cars etc and can do Bentley style keys as well but you'll have to talk to him :)

Ah ok, I thought you meant cheaper than mine :) I've seen him on the SEAT owners facebook page and on an Audi forum. Bentley keys are around £80 + post/delivery. you have to wait for him to be making a trip to your area. I agree he seems to be well respected with good feedback.

Anyway, I'll put mine for sale in the correct forum, had another timewaster

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members