Key/Locks/Immobiliser Replacement

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Hi,

My house was broken into recently while I was away, and the spare key for the car was stolen. The spare was just the blade with immobiliser chip (no central locking buttons), but I've been taking the battery out of the car just in case.

Is it a big job to get the locks and immobiliser changed, if I got the parts from a donor car, is it possible for me to do it myself? After reading other stories about people having their spare key taken after a break in, I suspect that the insurance company will deem the car uneconomical to repair, even though it's still driving well, and passed it's last test no problem.

I feel the drivers door and boot locks are easy enough to change, but my big concern would be with the immobiliser, even if I was to get the parts from a donor car, are the parts easily changed, and is there any subsequent programming needed to be done? I have previously reprogrammed the central locking for a 2nd hand keyfob after the original stopped working, but is the immobiliser possible to deal with for a home DIYer?

Any other pitfalls, or things to be aware of?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I can't speak to the immobiliser side of things, but I know there are a load of people here who can help on the electrical side.

For the physical locks though, there are lots of Leons out there at breakers where you'd be able to get hold of the boot release and the driver's door barrel - but you'll need those breakers to have the master key as well so you can have your other keys cut to fit that.

Those parts are straightforward to get out - you'll need to remove the boot trim to get to the boot release (grease the internals when you do it to save some stress further down the line) but after that it's just some small (10mm maybe?) bolts and it comes straight out.

Driver's lock you just need a triple square socket. I think it's an 8mm one. You loosen the bolt to the point you can slide the end of the handle out, and you just plug the new barrel in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If you have the pin number for the car and use VCDS, you could simply delete the old keys and code a new one (or upto 4) new ones. Whoever stole the keys would be able to get into the car but not start it.
Or as said above you can change the locks and just code a new key in the same manner, no need to change the immobiliser.

IF you don't have the pin number you can extract it simply using one of these. http://www.obd2eshop.com/wholesale/new-vag-key-login.html
That can also program keys, although i've never used it to do that and couldn't be sure it would delete the old ones. Safer to do it with VCDS given the circumstances

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I think to change the immobiliser it’s a case off ecu and clocks and all the locks in the car to work off new key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.