key not fitting into ignition

twnewcastle

Jan 18, 2009
got an intermittent problem with the key sometimes not going into the ignition barrell.
rac says its not a common problem ,but it is a known problem with vag .
the first pin in the barrell sticks in place and has to be moved with a small scredriver to allow key into the barrell-only happens sometimes. tried using spray etc ,but keeps happening-car still under warranty,but as its an intermittent problem ,it will probably be ok when i take it to garage-any ideas.

DannyN

Apr 22, 2010
What type of spray did yo use? as this could be making the problem worse.

I've heard you should use a dry, graphite lubricant in lock barrels

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That powdered graphite is what I use in my bike ignition barrel. It was absolutely awful, sticking in every position except what I wanted. And a bike ignition barrel is open to the elements, and gets all sorts in it. A quick 'parp' of graphite powder every six months or so keeps it working 100%. I did try using WD40, and it did work initially, but eventually it just gunked up and made things worse.

If it's well and truly jammed up, I'd use WD40 to release it initially, then graphite powder to keep it moving.

Be aware that some of the powder will come off with the key, and it's basically powdered pencil lead. so be careful where you put your keys the first few times.

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
If your car is still under warranty take it back, doesn't matter if it's ok on the day, tell them whats wrong and that you want it fixed.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.