Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Key sometimes will not turn in ignition barrrel

Discussion in 'Altea - includes XL and Freetrack' started by Dai_O, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Dai_O

Dai_O Active Member

Hi Guys

So I got a 2007 Seat Altea XL 1.6 petrol

My issue is as it says in the title

Insert key into the ignition and it turns fine to position 1, accessories, ie radio etc all come on fine

yet trying to get to position 2, ie red lights on dash, internal fans etc I have a problem

The key will 90% of the time not go from position 1 to position 2, I can fiddle and twist and push and pull and it will go to position 2 and then on to stater motor engage and the car starts fine, took me 15mins last night to get it to turn from 1 to 2, the steering lock is not on, but still i try to wiggle the wheel about

Now here is the strange thing even with the key out fully the steering lock would not engage, i can turn the steering wheel full lock in both directions, yes it is heavy as engine is not running but I am sure it shouldn't let me do this

I have tried both of my keys but its the same with both.

Any ideas????

Cheers guys

2. Brimfull

Brimfull Active Member

Faulty ignition barrel

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

3. Dai_O

Dai_O Active Member

wow brimfull thanks for the quick reply mate, can i just check, r u talking about the barrel itself ie the bit the key goes into, or r u talking about the metal assy that the key barrel goes into

4. Dai_O

Dai_O Active Member

omg its now stuck at position 2,

#4 Dai_O, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  5. Dai_O

Dai_O Active Member

So got myself back up an running tonight

so this is wot i have found / done

I managed to use a thin piece of wire to remove the key cylinder, once the cylinder was out it turned freely so ruled that out pretty much straight away, key moved freely from off to accessories to on to starter positions, also the key came out too

next thing was to look at the barrel housing

i will try to show wot i found on the attached photos
    [​IMG]
    All looked fine here

removed the white plastic holding piece and a few metal rings, then found a small slither of metal

as you can see the bottom of the circle had snapped of and was lying on the bottom
    [​IMG]

So i removed the broken bit and the pin behind it and reassembled it
    [​IMG]

All seems good, not sure wot the purpose of the pin is but all seems to work okay
    will give it a good test on the weekend, may even see if the pin will go back in

found this useful

will let you guys know the outcome