Kings Seat, Portsmouth

sicupra38

have been going to kings seat of and on since 2003, have had a few issues with service at times i;e courtesy car not been available when booked, but when i had a big service on my lcr i;e cambelt front discs pads etc they gave me i discount, as i'd been getting my car serviced with them regular at the time, money is tight now though, my leon has done 30k without a service at the min,

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
have been going to kings seat of and on since 2003, have had a few issues with service at times i;e courtesy car not been available when booked, but when i had a big service on my lcr i;e cambelt front discs pads etc they gave me i discount, as i'd been getting my car serviced with them regular at the time, money is tight now though, my leon has done 30k without a service at the min,

Even when money is tight... a few hours on saturday to change your oil, oil filter and air filter isnt hard... 30k without a service is horrible... just unspeakable!

i change my oil before i get to 10k, and every 3rd oil change i change the fuel filter and air filter.

you need to get your car serviced, Hell If you provide me with the parts, i will do it for you for a few quid and im local to you! I honestly cant stand a car not being looked after :(

sicupra38

used to have a garage at my old place and all the tools, but now moved and not much rome to keep them all

powered_by_pies

So, what's the consensus on Kings at the moment then?

I got my Ibiza from them, mixed opinions of them really. The sales guy (Adrian) seemed nice enough but it had obviously been a quiet week for them because he got the price of the car down from £6300 to £6000, taking my battered old golf as the £300 part-ex (VW finance came back and said my application had been successful, but only for £6k).

Shortly afterwards the dreaded emissions light came on, booked it in and had it seen to, the guys cleared the fault code (after I'd stood about looking like a lemon for about 10 minutes because nobody was on the shop floor) but did warn me that it wouldn't last as it's a recouring fault, also told me it was normally £64 to get it hooked up to a computer (!). Needless to say, the light came back on the following day and has been intermittent ever since, so that's an expense I'm not looking forward to paying, even though I'll just ask them to fit a new lambda sensor as that's what they said was likely to be wrong.

Thing is I've got that £99 2-year free servicing deal with them, so I'm obviously going to use that, but I'm now quite worried about what the quality of the service is going to be like as the INSP notice has come on so it needs booking in - my old Golf went in for a service at a garage called Europa in Bursledon, they broke more things than they fixed and ultimately ruined the car, it took me years to try and figure out what problems they'd left me to solve and get them put right.

Also, to be fair, the guys at kings are at least not nearly as bad as Peter Cooper VW in Hedge End - they're vile. Took my mk3 golf (when I had it) to them and asked if they could check out the engine as it was misfiring, got a dirty look by the bird sat behind the service desk and told that all the mechanics 'were on lunch'. At 3.15pm. I doubted that somehow. And when someone finally came out to speak to me, he treated me like an idiot (I was 18 at the time, but still potentially a paying customer), took one look at my car and point-blank refused to look at it, 'because it's a mk3 and we don't touch anything under mk4's now because there's no money to be made in it.' That was his actual response. I was gob-smacked.

They were also going to charge me £79 for 'an inspection', which I quickly found out basically involved them opening the bonnet, telling me something was wrong, and closing the bonnet - they wouldn't even have told me what specific thing was wrong!

Edit: That was the other thing that set of a small warning bell in my mind about Kings - they got the model of my Ibiza wrong on the sales sheet. They called it a 1.4 DAB special edition - turns out it was a 1.4 Formula Sport. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I love the car, but you'd have thought they'd get the simplest of facts right like the model of the car they're selling.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupraLee K1

298bhp @ JKM
Oct 26, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
I took my K1 there for it's 1st and most recently 2nd service.

Wasnt too bad.. as nothing needed doing.

Even though my low tyre pressure warning light was on and when i came back to car it was off. Tyres felt a bit low and checked pressures and sure enough they were. They just turned off the light and never pumped them up!

My warrenty runs out in December this year.. So i may take the car there for the last time and then take it to JKM (just round the corner) after that :)

saintelise

I bought my Cupra new from Kings (now Snows) in Feb 2008.

Adam who works in the parts department has always been very pleasant to deal with and also let me know when they were getting a Cupra R in so I could arrange a test drive.

Adrian the sales guy was fine when we discussed a potential deal to swap to an R.

I have always sought to have my cars serviced at independents and have just had my 3rd service and first MOT done at JKM - one of the most professional and friendly garages I have dealt with in 26 years of owning cars.

So no problems with Kings in my experience.

saintelise

I bet that was expensive!:whistle:

JKM are a nice bunch, but their prices do seem quite high for what they really provide

Not at all really - basic service, no probs for the MOT pass and no advisories - about as good as it can be.

Given the fact that a garage looks after probably the 2nd most expensive purchase most of us make and the fact I work close by, they suit me fine.

powered_by_pies

My Ibiza's down there right now for its' service and MOT - naturally, in the one month where I have only just about enough money to scrape together for the MOT, I'm told it's due the biggie - cambelt and water pump. I'm gonna have to put it off, much as I don't want to, as there's no point even thinking about spending 350 on all that, although I have to say the guy at the service desk was very understanding and even tried to discount it to 299 for me. I'd have taken him up on the offer, just simply no money to do it.

And they've just phoned me to say my rear tyres would ideally need changing. Again, no money to do it. They're going to put it through the MOT and see if it can scrape by - the rear right's at 1.6mm, the rear left 2.2mm, so it might just squeeze through, but by the narrowest of margins. I hope so, anyway - I can't even afford the 74.99 they're charging for a 'budget' tyre. Bad times.

Edit: Just gone and picked it up, tyres were ok and the car flew through the MOT, much to my relief. 69.98 later, the car's back on the driveway. Customer service was fine, they even fixed a blown fuse in my radio for no extra charge, which means I have my music back = good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise